L9 - GUi customization, minor changes

Oh, definitely. Take the classic SSL's -- they had square buttons which gave it a totally pro feel, totally pro sound. And because anything with a square button was just on or off, it made production decisions cake. Like, "do we like that guitar part? Nah..." and off it went. Or, "what's missing... maybe it's the lead vocal?" and with one push of a square button it was back in the mix. And it could be turned off again just as easily. See, those are the kinds of decisions you want from a producer. Not endless yammering about the arc of the lyrics and if it might be possible to sidechain the keyboard parts to the high hat track. It was just easier to shut that s#!+ off and make a hit.

Square, baby, square. It just works like dat.

(just havin' fun...) :mrgreen:

LOL!

:lol:

as anyone found out how to edit the "Bluey Torquise" ring around the Pan knob?? Been looking for ages for the file.

Anyone shed a lil light?

yes, it's located in the "mixer" tiffs within the Logic Pro package.

Couldnt ellaborate on this could you?? Could you post the name of the .tiff??

Ive found MixerFaderBackgroundTransp.tiff ..... but by the looks of it, this deals with the thin blue line that appears below the channel fader??

Hi there-

I'll risk being accused of taking this whole meter-skinning thing a little too far and share with you folks...

Those of us working in TV are painfully aware of the lack of usable meters in both Logic and Pro Tools. Most of us have just accepted that having an external meter is a necessary evil.

So when I first saw the posts here and realized how simple it is to modify Logic's meter display, I thought maybe there just might be a way to create meters that one can actually use in post, mastering, or any situation where precise metering means the difference between passing or failing QC.

The issues with Logic's meters, to me, were:

• A lack of scale marks on or around each individual meter

• A color gradient that had useful transition points

• Logic's scale:

-Is only available in the Mix pane (not in the environment, which I use quite a bit because it lets you fill a screen with faders)

-is only helpful when a meter is scrolled next to it

-is (and this is the killer), well, wrong.

Yeah- the scale in Logic is, well, not "wrong" exactly, but rather is offset on the Y axis by +4 pixels. In other words, the scale is aligned to the wrong LED's on the meter. Here's what I mean:

http://www.markedmondson.us/Mark_Edmondson/LogicMeterGFX_files/Unmodified%20Meter.gif

D'oh!

A full-code tone is feeding this aux, which is then trimmed -10dB. As you can see, the peak numerator at the top, and the fader, jibe with each other. But this tone aligns with -11 on the actual scale.

No wonder I always had such a hard time aligning tone in Logic!

So this was the first thing to address. I slid the Scale graticule down 4 pixels, added a mark for 0dB, and realigned the topmost mark to =0.5 (it was aligned to -.25). This unfortunately didn't leave room for the -60 mark.

Note: I have Logic running on 2 machines and both v8 and v9 exhibit this issue on my machines, and the scale is misaligned for both Exponential and Linear mode. I can't say with absolute certainty that this problem is not just a display issue on my screens- your system might be just fine. It's easy enough to check; just look at the bottom and see if the -60 mark sits 2 LED's above the bottom of the meter track.

So here is the adjusted Linear scale. Peak numerator, fader trim, and scale are now in alignment:

http://www.markedmondson.us/Mark_Edmondson/LogicMeterGFX_files/Modified%20Scale.gif

So on to the actual meter color scheme. As you know, Logic's meters only provide color transitions at 2 points. These points (-6 and -.75 (?) ) aren't incredibly useful in audio post, and thus serve mainly as a peak-warning indicator.

I will say that I'm happy Logic at least offers this much! Pro Tools' gradient provides even less visual feedback.

My goal was to put scale marks at the points most relevant in audio post (NTSC anyway) both inside the meter track itself as well as in the "lit" meter. This had to be easily readable at a glance, provide a decent amount of contrast without cluttering the interface, and above all, it all had to be dead-on accurate.

After a few attempts I decided to try a glass-Aqua kind of look, and tried to make something somewhat consistent with the Mac and with Logic.

I placed scale marks in 10dB increments, as well as an additional mark at -1dB. The color gradient also follows this scale.

Here's the end result:

http://www.markedmondson.us/Mark_Edmondson/LogicMeterGFX_files/Modified%20Meter%20and%20Scale.gif

So, while this doesn't exactly eliminate the need for an external meter (it can't display simultaneous peak-and-VU levels, for example), I've been using it for about a week and have found it very useful. In fact it's made the difference between not relying on the meters at all to trusting them completely. I can get an accurate peak reading of any channel at a glance, without inserting a plugin, or solo'ing it to the external, and in general I find that I don't have to look at the external meter nearly as often.

But that's just me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you think this might be helpful for you, please feel free to download it at:

http://www.markedmondson.us/Mark_Edmondson/LogicPostMeters_files/Logic%20Post%20Meters.zip

To use, right-click on Logic Pro (8 or 9), choose "show package contents", and place these files in Contents/Resources.

This will overwrite the factory meter scheme, so be sure to make a backup copy. :o

Happy mixing!

Edited by markedmondson

This is how it works out in my system using logarithmic scale: The ticks are right above the actual levels except for -18dB and -24dB which are further off. Also notice how the actual fader placement seems to have non-consistent offsets. To me, that's not a big deal. Probably due to the resolution changing in a couple places during the throw.

Hey Apple, we noticed.

508734615_Picture9.jpg.3e027db8ffb24a1625d7deb787221714.jpg

• Logic's scale:

-Is only available in the Mix pane (not in the environment, which I use quite a bit because it lets you fill a screen with faders)

Mark, you are so right. This is an excellent post with great detailed work. You should definitely send it to the Apple developer bug report:

https://bugreport.apple.com

I am always amazed at how Logic can keep the "Pro" in its name release after release while neglecting major pro features. And the metering is one of those things. Maybe if Apple would concentrate less on the Garageband target audience and peak into a PROfessional studio once in a while then they would get an idea where they are lacking.

Just want to say thanks for both threads here.

Edgar, the way you have Channel Strip settings as a way to organize and call up instruments is a genius time saver.

And Mark, the metering stuff you are doing is great. I do post mixing too (but only in Pro Tools) and function trumps beauty. Your aqua-look meters are really cool, I think I'll add those.

Thanks again for the great posts guys, there was a lot of thought and time put in!

JO

Mark, you are so right. This is an excellent post with great detailed work. You should definitely send it to the Apple developer bug report:

https://bugreport.apple.com

I am always amazed at how Logic can keep the "Pro" in its name release after release while neglecting major pro features. And the metering is one of those things. Maybe if Apple would concentrate less on the Garageband target audience and peak into a PROfessional studio once in a while then they would get an idea where they are lacking.

Great idea, I will do that.

At first I was just going to add graticule marks inside the meter track but I couldn't figure out why every attempt ended up being 1-4dB off. I was basing it on Logic's own scale after all, so how could it be wrong? :oops:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I put this all up on a page if you want to refer anyone to it rather than the thread:

http://www.markedmondson.us/Mark_Edmondson/MetersForLogic.html

Hi there-

I'll risk being accused of taking this whole meter-skinning thing a little too far and share with you folks...

Those of us working in TV are painfully aware of the lack of usable meters in both Logic and Pro Tools. Most of us have just accepted that having an external meter is a necessary evil.

So when I first saw the posts here and realized how simple it is to modify Logic's meter display, I thought maybe there just might be a way to create meters that one can actually use in post, mastering, or any situation where precise metering means the difference between passing or failing QC.

• Logic's scale:

Yeah- the scale in Logic is, well, not "wrong" exactly, but rather is offset on the Y axis by +4 pixels. In other words, the scale is aligned to the wrong LED's on the meter. Here's what I mean:

http://www.markedmondson.us/Mark_Edmondson/LogicMeterGFX_files/Unmodified%20Meter.gif

D'oh!

A full-code tone is feeding this aux, which is then trimmed -10dB. As you can see, the peak numerator at the top, and the fader, jibe with each other. But this tone aligns with -11 on the actual scale.

No wonder I always had such a hard time aligning tone in Logic!

So this was the first thing to address. I slid the Scale graticule down 4 pixels, added a mark for 0dB, and realigned the topmost mark to =0.5 (it was aligned to -.25). This unfortunately didn't leave room for the -60 mark.

Note: I have Logic running on 2 machines and both v8 and v9 exhibit this issue on my machines, and the scale is misaligned for both Exponential and Linear mode. I can't say with absolute certainty that this problem is not just a display issue on my screens- your system might be just fine. It's easy enough to check; just look at the bottom and see if the -60 mark sits 2 LED's above the bottom of the meter track.

So here is the adjusted Linear scale. Peak numerator, fader trim, and scale are now in alignment:

http://www.markedmondson.us/Mark_Edmondson/LogicMeterGFX_files/Modified%20Scale.gif

So on to the actual meter color scheme. As you know, Logic's meters only provide color transitions at 2 points. These points (-6 and -.75 (?) ) aren't incredibly useful in audio post, and thus serve mainly as a peak-warning indicator.

I will say that I'm happy Logic at least offers this much! Pro Tools' gradient provides even less visual feedback.

My goal was to put scale marks at the points most relevant in audio post (NTSC anyway) both inside the meter track itself as well as in the "lit" meter. This had to be easily readable at a glance, provide a decent amount of contrast without cluttering the interface, and above all, it all had to be dead-on accurate.

After a few attempts I decided to try a glass-Aqua kind of look, and tried to make something somewhat consistent with the Mac and with Logic.

I placed scale marks in 10dB increments, as well as an additional mark at -1dB. The color gradient also follows this scale.

Here's the end result:

http://www.markedmondson.us/Mark_Edmondson/LogicMeterGFX_files/Modified%20Meter%20and%20Scale.gif

So, while this doesn't exactly eliminate the need for an external meter (it can't display simultaneous peak-and-VU levels, for example), I've been using it for about a week and have found it very useful. In fact it's made the difference between not relying on the meters at all to trusting them completely. I can get an accurate peak reading of any channel at a glance, without inserting a plugin, or solo'ing it to the external, and in general I find that I don't have to look at the external meter nearly as often.

But that's just me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you think this might be helpful for you, please feel free to download it at:

http://www.markedmondson.us/Mark_Edmondson/LogicPostMeters_files/Logic%20Post%20Meters.zip

To use, right-click on Logic Pro (8 or 9), choose "show package contents", and place these files in Contents/Resources.

This will overwrite the factory meter scheme, so be sure to make a backup copy. :o

Happy mixing!

Some of these need to be stickies! :D

Here are some new graphics,

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional graphic designer, I made the images for my personal use and they are available to the Logic community as a courtesy.

If you like them, use them, if not, don't try to engage in any discussion about color taste - that's it.

Transport Bar

I made the whole Transport button darker to separate it more visually from the Arrange window

http://idisk.mac.com/edgarrothermich-Public/Screenshots/TransportBar.png

Transport Buttons

The square buttons (ProTools style) are changing the color depending on their status, Play, Record, etc

http://idisk.mac.com/edgarrothermich-Public/Screenshots/TransportButton.png

Fader, Pan

I used the Fader knobs from the BFD mixer which are a little lighter than the ProTools fader I used before. And the brushed metal Pan knobs are borrowed from Waldorf's new Largo synth

http://idisk.mac.com/edgarrothermich-Public/Screenshots/Fader_Pan.png

Cursor Icons

I used colored Cursors before (red erase cursor) but I found it now even more helpful on other cursors due to the extended use of Click Zones in Logic9. If I have the Marque cursor activated as a Click Zones, I constantly create a Marque line when I click in the Arrange window because I didn't see that the cursor was in the lower half of the Track lane and therefore changed to the Marque Cursor. A very flashy "in-your eyes" color helps you especially when you work in a 30" and/or MultiDisplays setup. You can choose different colors for the changing cursor (Fade, Resize, Loop) and once your brain gets used to the color it just reacts to the color and doesn't have to squint your eyes to identify the shape of that tiny thing on the screen. Again, this is a very special tweak that happens to improve my workflow, give it a shot.

You can adjust the colors to suit your taste very easily without Photoshop. Take the image (after making a backup) and open it in the Previews apps. Select the "Adjust Colors" in the Tools menu and just mess around with the various sliders - it's that simple.

http://idisk.mac.com/edgarrothermich-Public/Screenshots/ColorCursor.png

I included all the new images in the downloadable zip file on my website.

http://rothermich.com/Manuals/

I kept all the older images in a separate "older versions" folder.

Go to my website and click on the "update for Logic9" link in the "GUI Customization" section.

To Edgar and Mark -

I think your work is OUTSTANDING! I can't thank you enough to sharing your efforts. I have combined the two graphic updates and I'm VERY pleased with the aesthetic.

@Edgar - I noticed that the "darker" transport area seems a pixel or two off on 'covering' the original. Before I take a crack at "correcting" it, I just want to be sure that is how you see it as well. The problem could just be my own.

Again - many thanks,

JG

I noticed that the "darker" transport area seems a pixel or two off on 'covering' the original. Before I take a crack at "correcting" it, I just want to be sure that is how you see it as well. The problem could just be my own.

I didn't change the size of the six original image elements that make up the Transport bar. I only changed the brightness and contrast in Photoshop with the same value on all images to keep the gradient levels intact.

I noticed the extra darker pixel around it, but if you look at the original Transport bar, you will see it too, it just creates the perfect shadow with the existing background color. When using the darkened images, that shadow doesn't blend as well and it appears that it is one pixel off.

I just left it that way because I didn't want to spend more time with it and it was good enough for me. If you want to adjust it, feel free to do it.

Ok, so after everybody is posting GUIs I can't resist to do the same. Here's what I came up with, but it's still work in progress.

Cheers,

Jazz

Work in progress huh? Can't wait to see the final version....

[laughing like a mad man]

Just a tip on doing these skin mods, give the Image > Hue/Saturation tool a go when doing lightness/intensity adjustments on existing Logic elements instead of brightness/contrast as they can lead to changes in the intensity of the hue that the Hue/Sat tool avoids (I believe it works in LAB space which is also useful under Image>Mode or similar for handling Lightness as a separate component.)

Btw I noticed that the 2px alignment issue is also present in exponential metering mode (which I think is the default and I prefer these days because I have enough linear metering elsewhere) and I like the idea of tick marks on the meters so I might have a go at doing some work.

I took a look at the stock Logic tiffs and I have no idea how they got them down to 8k where a Zip or RLE compressed tiff is still 84-88k (and jpeg compression in Ps Cs4 didn't help either!) That's something I'd be really curious to know about...

Here is my version. This is Logic 8 Express. I used some of the images from other designs here (hope this was OK)

I also changed the mixer button to a carbon fiber look both black and white light and dark. And got rid of the blue fader lines and changed to a brighter orange. I feel like I can see them better. I still cant find the blue lines for the pan knobs???

And other little changes

joelogic2.jpg.9e350f82e10339c82443d401bbdbe80a.jpg

joelogic3.jpg.43e547683876b5b6c244a1701004b6d0.jpg

Here is my version. This is Logic 8 Express. I used some of the images from other designs here (hope this was OK)

I also changed the mixer button to a carbon fiber look both black and white light and dark. And got rid of the blue fader lines and changed to a brighter orange. I feel like I can see them better. I still cant find the blue lines for the pan knobs???

And other little changes

Nice, I think that's based on my gradient- I'm flattered :-)