Does anyone know where to find Roland XP80 tone name lists?

• 1 month later...

I was hoping for this too - I have a JV2080 and 8 expansion cards so don't really want to type them all in.

I used to be able to select every patch by name in Cubase so foolishly assumed Logic, having been around for ages, would have similar conveniences. Is there any feature in Logic that can suck out the patches/names from your synths to reload them automatically when the song loads again? I realise this feature was dropped from Cubase too in the transformation to Nuendo (sorry, SX) but surely we haven't all moved over to softsynths? For one thing, you can run way less softsynths than hardware ones thanks to those "low memory" warnings...

Jeez this stuff makes me feel old!

I was hoping for this too - I have a JV2080 and 8 expansion cards so don't really want to type them all in.

Here's a 2080 environment with all the expansion lists. You need to configure the bank numbers yourself as it can't know what slot you've placed things in.

Cheers man, looks like a good start. I don't know if you've used it yourself but it seems only to go up to expansion Bank E, program 127. The JV-2080 goes as far as Bank H.

I'd just been pottering with the supplied bank message template but haven't quite worked out how I save my own modified ones (the 2080 template seems the same as the 1080 one, it only goes as far as bank D). I'm not totally understanding the correlation between the patches defined in the environment and those you can select in the inspector in the little tab at the bottom. They don't seem to correspond - although I can go into the environment, copy a bank, go back to inspector and paste. Hey, another Logic crash happens when I do that! I dearly wish that was a surprise...

In your environment, there's Exp Slot A, for example, which has room for 128 patches. Then there's Exp Slot B, again with room for 128 patches. I can see some example banks and paste in the first 128 patches, but where do I stick the rest (no rude answers please)? :)

It's been years since I played with all this stuff, back in Cubase's Studio Module times when, by copying the expansion data into user RAM, you could extract the names of all the expansion cards and paste them into the correct banks for selection on any machine. I may have grown stupider since then but can't seem to make much progress with this implementation. Is there an online tutorial or something to get me going? I can probably source all the expansion cards' patch names somewhere on the net and maybe get them into a decent format for copying....

Anyway, thanks for the help, sorry to go on so. Getting really sick of crashes though... :(

First, copy all the objects in that environment layer. Start a new project in Logic 8 and paste these in a new env layer. That should avoid crashes.

Check out this thread:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=48145

As expansion cards go, the environment you have now is only useful for the patch lists contained in the text fader objects. As I said before, Logic can't know what hardware slots you've put your cards into, so you need to configure the new multi's and their bank changes yourself. But that thread I linked to has some instructions that will help with that.

OK, I've studied and I'm starting to feel really, really stupid. I notice there's a JV2080 bank already prepared in Logic 9 but it seems to be a copy of the 1080 one, in that it can only select 15 items (?) - so anyway, I made my own following the instructions found here.

I hope I got it right but it's hard to tell because it doesn't bring me access to any new banks. I can still only get the JV2080 expansion banks up to about Bank E.

My defs

www.bogusfocus.com/pn/SS3.png

www.bogusfocus.com/pn/SS2.png

Logic did give me the warning that no more than 15 banks can be initialised with names (a clue??) - so is it actually impossible after all?Do I, instead, need to make two lots of definitions? As you know, a JV bank can have more than 128 patches hence the MSB/LSB stuff to get at them.

Feeling quite defeated...

Since the multi-instrument object has a limit to the number of banks, then you have to create more than one multi-instrument to handle the rest. You could create one for each bank, if you like, that's up to you.

Your bank messages don't look right. Try starting with the one I posted above and edit it for each multi you want to create. The patch lists are all contained there too, so you can just copy and paste them into your own multis.

I may try to get my old copy of Cubase VST working and extract all the patch names from that. The boards I have are:

SR-JV80-02 Orchestral

SR-JV80-16 Orchestral 2

SR-JV80-05 World

SR-JV80-14 Asia

SR-JV80-04 Vint Synth

SR-JV80-11 Techno

SR-JV80-09 Session

SR-JV80-13 Vocal

With Cubase I can extract all the names into files that are hopefully suitable to paste into Logic. Perhaps this could be useful for someone else as the song I have doesn't have all these boards listed.

I don't suppose there's any chance the 15 bank limit will be increased one day as lots of modern instruments have as many or more banks than the JV2080?

Thanks again, sorta glad I'm not going bonkers. :)

SR-JV80-02 Orchestral

SR-JV80-16 Orchestral 2

SR-JV80-05 World

SR-JV80-14 Asia

SR-JV80-04 Vint Synth

SR-JV80-11 Techno

SR-JV80-09 Session

SR-JV80-13 Vocal

The Orchestral, Session, World, and Vintage, as well as all the stock preset bank patch lists are in the project file I posted above. So it's a head start. Just 2-click those text faders to open them, copy the patch names and paste them into your multi for that bank.

• 10 months later...