3rd Party Plug-In Control Surface Parameter Lists

Since Logic 9, we have CSParameterOrder.plist files for Logic's native plug-ins. These can be made for 3rd party plug-ins as well. These lists allow you to reorder or remove parameters as they appear on a supported control surface.

I'm starting this thread as a collection point for people to post them if they feel like making one, or a few.

I've made one for the Sony Oxford Transmod as an example and have attached it below.

To make a CSParameterOrder.plist file for a plug-in:

1. First go to HD/Application Support/Logic/PlugIn Settings/ and within almost any of the individual plug-in folders you will find one of these files. Copy one of them to the desktop. Clip Distortion is a simple one to use.

2. Open the file on your desktop with Text Editor. (If anyone knows a better editor to work with these files, let me know!)

(Some candidates in the following posts!)

3. Each parameter has a number assigned to it permanently. The name is only for your reference when working with this file, ie changing the name here doesn't change the name that appears on your control surface display. So change the names as you like to match the new plug-ins parameter names. Or you don't need the names at all. They are just for convenience.

4. The order they show up on your control surface is determined by where they are in the list. So in this example, if I wanted Overshoot and Rise Time to be last, I'd place them at the bottom of the list, like this:

0 Gain

1 Threshold

2 DeadBand

3 Ratio

4 In

7 Recovery

8 Overdrive

5 Overshoot

6 Rise Time

5. If you didn't want one or more parameters to show up at all on your control surface, just delete that line for that parameter number. (This is the coolest feature, as some plugs include stuff you'd usually not need on a control surface.)

6. When you're done editing the order or removing parameters, select Save in Text Edit.

7. Place this file in the user preset folder for the plug-in. So, for the attached Transmod example (if you had that plug) you would place it like this:

[user Folder]/Library/Audio/Presets/Sonnox (AU Native)/Oxford Transmod/CSParameterOrder.plist

That's all there is to it. If you make one, put it in a folder named after the plug-in, zip the folder and then attach it. Because they will all have the same filename this avoids confusion.

Here's what my attached Transmod file looks like:

Transmod_Parameter_List.zip

plist.jpg.342d12af54b9ebfdcfa3c369978bc8a9.jpg

Edited by fader8
  • Like 1

Thanks J.

I just created the plist for Native Instruments Pro-53 synth using PlistEdit Pro. It worked well. I'll try your suggestions too. This one's a good candidate for reorganizing. It's attached here.

A couple of FYI's:

You don't need to restart Logic to see your changes made to the list. Just close and reopen the plug-in.

If you want blank spaces on a page, use a number in the string that's higher than the highest number parameter in the plug-in. Place this where you want the space to be. Handy if you want to organize sections by page.

Here's the Pro-53 list:

NI_Pro-53_Param_List.zip

After trying both PlistEdit Pro and Pref Setter, I can say that PlistEdit Pro seems better suited for this particular task. Re-ordering the array, copying groups of parameters, etc., is very intuitive.

The Predator list that I posted above is one I've wanted to edit for a long time. It's practically useless in its stock form. The list I posted is identical to how it displays normally, so you'll definitely want to get rid of all the spacers in the array, lest you'll be paging through them like mad. Of course, how you organize them depends on how many parameters you can display at once, eg how many control surfaces you have.

I'd recommend you definitely set the "Multiple Controls per Parameter" to "2" in the Control Surface prefs, and uncheck "Only when all parameters fit on one page". Many of Predators parameters have long names that are not well abbreviated otherwise, making them almost impossible to recognize unless more display room is allowed for them. That's true for many 3rd party plugs.

Note that you can have any parameter appear more than once. So if you want Osc 1 On-Off to be visible on more than one display page, you can. Very handy.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

thanks a lot for this,guys!

i just purchased Logic studio 9 two weeks ago,i'm completely blown away by it!

i have an M-audio Axiom pro 49(LOVE IT ALSO!!!),but was not too happy about the defaultmappings for Sculpture etc :too much parameters in the wrong order imo.

so after reading this,i downloaded PLISTEDIT PRO.supereasy to use(drag and drop,delete what you don't want).i now have a small parameterorder list with the morph x-y plus body eq controls on one page as an experiment,more will be added(like filter, envelope).

when that's done i'll post it elsewhere on this forum(not here obviously,since this post is for 3rd party plugins).

• 4 weeks later...
Just a handy little tip on this subject. I found that you can extract the CSParameterorder.plist file from 3rd party instruments and plug-ins. To do this, you need to save a plug-in setting as "#default" to the default location to which the plug-in wants to save plug-in settings. You then save over this file with the same name and this will create a CSParameterorder.plist file for the 3rd party plug-in automatically.

• 1 month later...

here's a few csparameterorderplists i made with plist edit pro :

place these files in users>library>audio>presets>then just add to the corresponding plugin-folder(if it doesn't exist yet,just create it and tweak away.

any feedback is welcome!

enjoy!

CSParameterOrder.plist

Alchemy

CSParameterOrder.plist

Massive

CSParameterOrder.plist

FM 8

Edited by 33tetragammon

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Does CSParameterOrder.plist only apply to control surfaces?

I was thinking it might also affect the internal parameter order in Logic so that assigned fader value (the internal CC like format in Logic) and the order in the View>Controls window also changes.

Did some experiments but seems to me this is not the case. Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

dynamics & eq mappings :

bear in mind that all plugins also have a MONO version,so you also have to copy the plists to the respective folders in order for those to work with these mappings as well

Waves Linear phase multiband.zip

DMG Equality.zip

Sonalksis SV-517 EQ.zip

Sonalksis SV-315 compressor.zip

Sonalksis Stereotools.zip

Sonalksis DQ-1.zip

Izotope Ozone 4(limiter).zip

only limiter controls mapped,since that's the only thing i use.

Sonalksis CQ-1.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guys

I also just bought Axiom Pro the other day, and was more than gutted to see the rubbish mappings on the controller.

I used to use AutoMap with a remote Zero SL which worked pretty well, but would love to take advantage of the controls on the new Axiom Keyboard so i can tweak a little easier.

I just downloaded the PlistEdit Pro... being a newbie, can someone advise, do you just open the file and copy and paste the text from the original plst file? Would it not just be easier to move the command into the place you want it to show in the original file...

Sorry, total newbie here.

I just downloaded the PlistEdit Pro... being a newbie, can someone advise, do you just open the file and copy and paste the text from the original plst file? Would it not just be easier to move the command into the place you want it to show in the original file...

Sorry, total newbie here.

hi,

i just read your pm.i'll respond here,makes it easier for other people as well.

you just rearrange the parameters in the top list(in plistedit pro).save that,done.

read this entire thread if you haven't already,it explains everything needed.

if there's anything more you'd like to know,just ask.

• 3 weeks later...

I made a plist for the oxford EQ.

Does anybody know if we could not only rearrange parameters on the control surface but also change value ranges?

The Oxford EQ has A/B buttons and my Mackie C4 doesn‘t recognize this as buttons. That's why pressing the vpot doesn't do anything. I have to dial from 0 to 100% to change A to B and vice versa.

Cheers

Sonnox_Oxford_EQ.zip

Oxford_EQ_plist

• 1 year later...
Sorry for being a retard here, but how exactly do we get the 3rd party plug to export its plist? I tried saving a preset from the 3rd party synth as #default but i cant seem to get the plist file. I am using L9.1.7 on OSX 10.6.8 and as an example, i saved to the (USERNAME)\library\Audio\Presets\Native INstruments\Massive - folder but when saving a preset with the#default name it just creates a #default.nmsv file which essentially is a NI Massive file that opens in standalone mode once double clicked.

can anyone advise how to export the PLIST file from 3rd party plugs, i tried following the instructions above bur cant get it for the life of me.

fatty, there's nothing to export. Re-read fader8's instructions. The files for your 3rd party plug-ins will be based on any of the files that already exist for Logic's own plug-ins.

J.

OK thanks Jordito, i appreciate the help.

So basically, i just need to add extra strings (siblings in PLISTEDITPRO) if i need the added strings, then the way to match up and rearrange is to basically go though the Hypercontrol pages on LCD screen on Axiom Pro keyboard, count what string number say the Cuttoff filter is on a particular synth, then rename that orresponding string number in PLIST pro, finally move it into desired spot by dragging it up and down the list.

Is where i was getting stuck was i thought i read that you could export all the strings for any given synth... this would make it a ton easier...

Or am i still missing something?

So basically, i just need to add extra strings (siblings in PLISTEDITPRO) if i need the added strings

It would be a "child", not a "sibling". A child string inside the ControlSurfaceParameterOrder Array.

Is where i was getting stuck was i thought i read that you could export all the strings for any given synth... this would make it a ton easier...

I don't know if that's possible, maybe it is. Where did you read this?

J.

Hi J

fattymatthews said:
I don't know if that's possible, maybe it is. Where did you read this?

It was actually in this thread, page 1 9th reply down by "tim_chandler"

He says...

"Just a handy little tip on this subject. I found that you can extract the CSParameterorder.plist file from 3rd party instruments and plug-ins. To do this, you need to save a plug-in setting as "#default" to the default location to which the plug-in wants to save plug-in settings. You then save over this file with the same name and this will create a CSParameterorder.plist file for the 3rd party plug-in automatically."

I tried this, with Massive as an example, it would only save down a #default.nmsv - even when renamed to CSParameterorder.plist it would not have the strings in there.. maybe i am missing something again.

If you have a free minute, could you test?

Thanks again J for all your help, you have always been so knowledgable, i really appreciate it.

It was actually in this thread, page 1 9th reply down by "tim_chandler"

He says...

"Just a handy little tip on this subject. I found that you can extract the CSParameterorder.plist file from 3rd party instruments and plug-ins. To do this, you need to save a plug-in setting as "#default" to the default location to which the plug-in wants to save plug-in settings. You then save over this file with the same name and this will create a CSParameterorder.plist file for the 3rd party plug-in automatically."

Sorry, I missed that bit. But I tried it and it works. Crazy!

I tried this, with Massive as an example, it would only save down a #default.nmsv - even when renamed to CSParameterorder.plist it would not have the strings in there.. maybe i am missing something again.

You need to save the plug-in setting. You do this from Logic's plug-in window dropdown menu:

723034942_pluginsetting.png.102d4bf46445305cb8e515e7b46ac455.png

Once you re-save on top of the first #default setting you save, it will give birth to the CSParameterorder.plist file. :lol:

J.

Mental! It does work! Dude i cant thank you enough, i was reading it as saving the plugin setting from the Synth itself, like saving a preset. Was bugging me out as i tried multiple times. Amazing how much clearer things become with a picture, it makes total sense now.

Honestly J, cant thank you enough for this, I have never really used my AXIOM as i hated the way the Hypercontrol laid out the "default" mappings, it was more than useless. Now, with a little time and with the help of PLIST editor i will have this streamlined perfectly.

Many thanks my friend.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

Any new updates on this process?

I'm trying to create a map for my Korg Polysix to use on a mackie c4 and I'm wondering if anything has changed since this was discussed.

Is there a simple way to export the plugin's list of parameters and names to a file to create the CSParameterOrder.plist file? I'm able to see the list of parameters name if i change the "view" in the plugin. Is this list exportable or accessible from somewhere else?

-Thanks