So I mentioned in this thread that I had created a simple little macro to map specific notes to one of various scales and modes (Western only, no micro-tonality). Someone asked me if I could upload it and here it is. The idea came about from wanting to try out scales and modes I don't normally use and learn their sound, without having to memorize them on the keyboard first. Not being a keyboard player, this can come in  handy in situations where you just want to improvise on a certain scale or mode without having to worry about playing "wrong" notes. This still requires that you to learn the mappings, but these are easy as they remain the same no matter what key you're in.

For the sake of completeness, I decided to include scales which are already quite easy to play/memorize (the whole tone scale, for example).

Mappings go like this:

8-note scales = C major scale plus the A# key (all other keys unmapped)

7-note scales = C major scale (all white keys, black keys unmapped)

6-note scales* = C major scale minus the B key (all other keys unmapped)

5-note scales = C# (Db) pentatonic scale (5th mode of the Eb minor pentatonic...All black keys, white keys unmapped)

*Also included the blues scale as part of 6-note scales, and the mapping is the same as the pentatonics except for an added G key for the "blue note".

The mappings cover the C-2 to G8 range. Keep this in mind if you use key switches mapped chromatically. You can always unpack the macro and change the range of the chord memorizer objects within if you need to.

The interface looks like this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/5112370809_996352dd98_b.jpg

:shock:

So basically you choose a scale type, a scale/mode, and the root key.

To keep it simpler, transposition of root keys only goes up (If you need to transpose down to some other key use the octave buttons in your keyboard). I've added an On/Off switch so that you can go back to being a real musician every once in a while, plus a keyboard monitor that shows which notes are actually coming out.

Uses:

Great for brainless keyboard improvisation and experimenting with polytonal sequencing.

Learning the sound of scales and their modes without much effort

Attached is a project file (done in logic 9) which includes the scale remapper in its own layer. You could just save the project as a template so you don't have to reconnect the macro (if you decide to import the layer to another project).

Note:

This is intended for live input so it does not adapt notes on MIDI regions to any scales.

Finally, if you have the time and motivation, learn to play the piano properly!!

Enjoy!

Updated: The power button is now part of the macro.

J.

Scale Remapper .zip

Logic 9

Scale Remapper LPX.logicx.zip

Logic Pro X

Edited by Jordi Torres

I haven't yet tried this out, but it looks scalar-ly yummy!

:D

If you're already a proficient piano player, this won't be of much use to you...not so if you're more of a play-it-by-ear kind of guy.

I should also mention that this is nice for banging out chords...I particularly enjoy doing that with the melodic and harmonic minor modes.

Another disadvantage of this macro is that you lose the ability to add any chromatic passing tones you may want to add....Oh well :roll:

J.

I just DL'd your environment and played around with a bit. It's very cool!

Opening it in Logic 8, the dry output of the delay was all the way down. Just wondering if that was intentional.

It took me a minute to figure out how it all worked but now it's clear: start by selecting one of the menu items under "Scale Type" and then use the corresponding menu to alter the scale. Example: if you select "Harmonic Minor" (under Scale Type) then only the Harmonic Minor Mode menu will affect the notes.

Very cool and interesting. Thanks for sharing this!

I just DL'd your environment and played around with a bit. It's very cool!

Opening it in Logic 8, the dry output of the delay was all the way down. Just wondering if that was intentional.

It took me a minute to figure out how it all worked but now it's clear: start by selecting one of the menu items under "Scale Type" and then use the corresponding menu to alter the scale. Example: if you select "Harmonic Minor" (under Scale Type) then only the Harmonic Minor Mode menu will affect the notes.

Very cool and interesting. Thanks for sharing this!

Great! I'm glad you like it :D

The thing with the tape delay is intentional...that's just an ol' trick for adding warmth.

By the way, if you think there's anything that can be done to improve this macro, go for it!

Cheers,

J.

• 2 months later...

I've only just found this post and it's fantastic. I had made a smaller scale mapper myself with just a few scales on it - I'm a guitarist and I sometimes find the keyboard a little awkward. Your macro seems to cover all the scales I could want (and more) so I'm eagerly downloading it now.

Thank you very much jordito,

Alan.

I've only just found this post and it's fantastic. I had made a smaller scale mapper myself with just a few scales on it - I'm a guitarist and I sometimes find the keyboard a little awkward. Your macro seems to cover all the scales I could want (and more) so I'm eagerly downloading it now.

Thank you very much jordito,

Alan.

You're welcome, Alan.

I'm in the exact same situation as you: guitar player here (yet another one! :roll: ... :lol: ).

I hope you like it!

Cheers,

J.

• 3 weeks later...

Noob here.. trying to load this layer into my Logic Environment. I'm not sure if this is a bug or what. But if I have a Logic project open, with an instance of Kontakt and some patches loaded.., then try and import this environment layer into my project... all my patches in Kontakt get deleted.

Is this just the way the Environment normally works?

Are you suppose to make sure you import any 'layers' before you start adding VI's?

Thaht's cool, Christian. I wasn't aware of the existence of your modulator deluxe (nice name!). Looks nicer than my scale remapper... :evil:

Does it only cover major scale modes?

@benmrx

If you import the scale remapper to an empty layer in your project, all should be ok.

You could also try copy/paste instead of importing...

J.

Does it only cover major scale modes?

No. The ionian button is a popup menu.

Christian

Yes, I can see that...just wanted to know if you included other modes not derived from the major scale (i.e harmonic minor, melodic minor, etc) I cannot check it out right now since I'm not in my studio at the moment...but by the looks of it that's most likely the case since all of these are 7-note scales.

J.

• 3 months later...
wow thanks for the fast response. Specifically I would like to use rewire via an iac channel whilst retaining the ability to use the scale remapper as every-time I try to rewire ( five12's excellent numerology to logic) I can't get the scale remapper to work whilst rewired.... I am sure I am mincing my words but I can't seem to explain it any other way. I am simply trying to set up a a template that incorporates both rewire and the scale remapper. Possible ????

Thanks for the tip but I guess I am having difficulty expressing myself. Numerology certainly syncs just fine to logic but when I want to go back into logic and use the caps keyboard or midi keyboard to play a soft synth on an instrument track there is no sound??? So what I guess I want is for me to be able to play both on my midi keyboard thru logic and then cable switch to sequencing in numerology. I am really thankful for your time

I think it might have something to do with the routing I have three transformers for 3 midi channels and a monitor leading to sequencer input. It could be that it somehow meddles with the remapper and even when I get rid of my numerology cabling and put the sum in sequencer input the remapper still doesn't function. I just want to add that I really love the remapper it makes those difficult scales easy and helps with calculating chords/intervals. :)

875407444_Picture4.png.6850be50af1bb2e622aab81f362e4fb7.png

I think it might have something to do with the routing I have three transformers for 3 midi channels and a monitor leading to sequencer input. It could be that it somehow meddles with the remapper

Probably. Difficult to know what's going on without seeing what you have going on there with the cabling and transformers.

I just want to add that I really love the remapper it makes those difficult scales easy and helps with calculating chords/intervals. :)

I'm glad you like it and find it useful! :D

J.

Thanks for all your help I have a cunning plan but I need some help.

1st

How do I import channel strips into an environment layer?

There's several ways (copy/paste, drag and drop, import options), check the manual for details.

2nd

Can I get a cable switcher that allows cable switching from right to left as opposed to its current ability?

I think it's best if you start a new thread with your question and explain in detail what you're trying to do.

Regards,

J.