VL70-m environment - can someone check it, please ?

hi everybody,

i'm a bloody newbie concerning logic environments.

can somebody be so kind and check my VL70-m environment ?

i have a new wind-controller (yamaha WX7) with the hardware tone generator who belongs to it (yamaha VL70-m) and i would like to record the sounds in logic.

till now its possible to record the VL70-m sounds in logic, but i cannot hear the playpack.

more pecisely:

after i have recorded into a logic-track the WX7 / VL70-m - signals are visible on the track and also the volume level (on the very left side of the track) shows some activitation.

but i cannot hear the playpack.

so something must be going wrong in my environment, i guess.

can someone help me, please ?

thanx a lot

walt

VL70-m environment.logic.zip

great, thanx fader8,

the environment is ok now, but i still cannot hear the audio playbacks,

what am i doing wrong ?

VL, what do you have its audio outputs plugged into?

the VL outs goes to the apogee duet instrument in.

please, don't overestimate my midi- & environment-knowledges.

thanx for your help

ce you

walt

VL, what do you have its audio outputs plugged into?

the VL outs goes to the apogee duet instrument in.

Are you direct monitoring with the Duet, or software monitoring through a Logic audio track?

i have checked the names of custom bank messages again.

why they are all wrong ?

Which bank?

wow, your advice was great,

i have turned the apogee control panel in logic from "line" to "instrument", and now the audio playback works !

i guess, i have to read and look some more tuts and videos about the midi/environment-stuff for really understand this things before i continue to work with.

anyway, thanx a lot for help

kind regards

walt

i guess, i have to read and look some more tuts and videos about the midi/environment-stuff for really understand this things before i continue to work with.

Be careful. There's more bad advice on Youtube than good.

There are two ways to select bank and patch in a Logic external MIDI track, either directly from the track's inspector, or with the patch dialog. Forget about the library pane, it's useless for external synths.

VLBankPatchTut.thumb.jpg.44cf9ebb1d0c1cede69b9ac82364dcf0.jpg

• 1 year later...

How would I connect a VL70M so I could record playing its onboard sounds via my Akai EWI 4000s into Logic?

My iMac doesn't have a small DIN port but just USB and FireWire (and Thunderbolt), and 1 Ethernet.

I normally record software instruments within Logic via MIDI cable from EWI to Novation keyboard which also has MIDI OUT and THROUGH ports, itself being connected to my iMac via USB.

My Mackie Audio Interface connects to my iMac via USB but doesn't have MIDI ports, just 1/4 inch jacks or XLR for audio recording/output.

You would connect the EWI's MIDI out to the VL70m MIDI in. You'd still have to record the audio out from the VL70m the same way you have been.

If I remember correctly, the VL70m has no way of turning local off, so if you connect the MIDI in and out at the same time, you'll get a feedback loop.

Here are some resources that might help.

http://www.ewilogic.com/

http://www.patchmanmusic.com/WindControllerFAQ.html

I hope this helps.

Hey, Thanks pranaearth!

EWI > VL70-m's MIDI 'In' connection is as expected but I was expecting to then route the VL70-m's MIDI 'Out' to either my Novation keyboard's MIDI 'In' or 'Thru' (and on to Mac via USB). It's probably apparent that I don't know what a MIDI 'Thru' port does!

I'm thinking that that would deliver the played MIDI info into Logic, but as the sound patches are on the VL70-m's onboard chip, I guess that would be pointless?

To record into Logic via the VL70-m I imagine I would line jack out L(mono) from the VL into my Mackie audio interface (USB, no MIDI ports) and on into Logic just as I do if recording my EWI's own onboard sounds.

I'm registered on both EWILogic where sax man John Isley who runs it is a particularly helpful guy (when he's not away on tour!) and on Patchman but there aren't many Logic users on Patchman.

You would use that MIDI setup if you wanted to record the MIDI messages that the VL70m was sending out. You'd then be able to edit the MIDI performances.

But because it's MIDI messages, you have to send those messages back to the VL70m to actually hear anything.

So the cable routing would go

EWI out > VL70m in.

VL70m out > Novation In.

(Novation is sending MIDI messages through USB)

Novation out > VL70m in.

(This is also assuming you have no other MIDI gear connected to your Novation In and Out ports)

Whatever track you are recording your MIDI to in Logic, don't send that info back to the VL70m. Basically you would disconnect the MIDI out of the track you are recording into.

Then, when you were done recording on that track, reconnect the MIDI out on the track to the VL70m, but turn off the MIDI incoming to that track.

There is no local off on the VL70m, so this is how you would stop a MIDI loop for happening while recording MIDI.

Local off disconnects the MIDI in from the MIDI out(in layman terms).

Because there is no local off, whatever MIDI messages are received at the in port are just sent right back through to the out port. The messages go to your sequencer and sent right back to the unit. So you get a MIDI loop where the messages just keep going round and round.

It's no fun.

I don't really record MIDI from my VL70m, I opt to just record the audio.

Even though the VL70m audio is mono, the effects are stereo, so you could connect both L+R outputs to your soundcard to take advantage of the built in FX. Many of the presets use panning FX, and you would loose that by just recording in mono.

Remember MIDI ≠ Audio.

MIDI thru just takes whatever MIDI message is arriving at the in port, and sends it to the thru port, unchanged. It's useful in daisy chaining MIDI signals.

I hope this helps.

^^^^

That's an enormous help! And very clearly explained too :D

At the moment (just taking the quick breaks from Logic to check my emails/messages) I am editing some of my note velocities in a MIDI recording using Samplemodeling's 'Mr T Sax' (via Kontakt Player). So to edit in MIDI is particularly valuable for me, especially when I play a bum note because I'm a newbie EWI player.

I wonder what would happen if I armed a software instrument (MIDI) track and then on completion of Audio recording a sound in the VL70m, I keyed 'Shift-1' to Capture that Audio in MIDI. My EWI has both MIDI In and Out.

Hmm, I can't quite get my head around that yet - Better wait until I get back from Exmoor with the VL70m and can actually do things.

I would much prefer to control as many fx as possible within Logic rather than on the VL70m. I will probably want to Automate delay or reverb etc for example.

[break over... Back to Logic]

• 2 weeks later...

I've now got as far as setting up a template in Logic with both an External MIDI track and Audio track for simultaneous recording.

As my illustration in my last post shows, I am also using a VL70-m sound module but with third-party custom sound patches.

Using the patch dialog, I know how to change the Patch names but how do I enter the correct Bank numbers so Logic's Bank number matches my VL's? Logic's Inspector is currently displaying Bank 1 with the correct Track number and name for Bank 2 (which in turn correctly plays the VL Bank 2 sound from the VL70m).

Have I made the mistake of 'Initializing' the wrong Bank? If so, how do I correct that please?

[Please tell me if I should be posting this as a new thread and I'll do so]

Using the patch dialog, I know how to change the Patch names but how do I enter the correct Bank numbers so Logic's Bank number matches my VL's? Logic's Inspector is currently displaying Bank 1 with the correct Track number and name for Bank 2 (which in turn correctly plays the VL Bank 2 sound from the VL70m).

Have I made the mistake of 'Initializing' the wrong Bank?

Hey Red,

Did you resolve this?

Hi fader :)

Yes, I did resolve it. As this thread is about the VL70-m Environment I decided to start a new thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80115

Thanks, you also helped me in that thread :D - I'll go and post a conclusion there. < Done! I've also added "[sOLVED]" to my thread title - Another good reason for us still having the ability to edit our posts without a time limit (Thanks, David).

[but I'm still not ready to type in all your 864 Kurzweil Patch names! I think you should type them in yourself so that you learn what each one is :lol: ]