fader8's Bandpass Widget

One of the effects I use a lot is Logic's Channel or Linear EQ set up just for bandpass. Unfortunately, there's no direct single control for sweeping a bandpass filter or changing its bandwidth while keeping the center frequency the same. So I made one up as an environment macro.

The 2 main controls, sweep and bandwidth are accompanied by displays that show the filter's center frequency and note name, (Yamaha octave numbering), and the bandwidth in number of semitones.

If the filters are set to be resonant, the display in the Resonance section shows the note names where the filter's resonance will occur, for both the low and high cutoffs. (This took a while to work out).

Also included are controls to adjust Q and Slope symmetry and asymmetry. For resonance too, which is fun for special effect things.

WATCH OUT if you cycle Logic's transport with severe filter settings in place. You can get some wildly loud noise happening at the cycle points when using the test oscillator, since its audio is always running. I've automated the track level in the attached demo session to avoid blowing anyone's monitors/ears out.

This thing probably has a few bugs in it. Let me know if you find any showstoppers.

This will work with either the Channel or Linear Phase EQ.

f8_Bandpass_Widget.logic.zip

1262439791_BandpassWidget.thumb.jpg.c9fb8241d0a4527829a6d47d01a64d0a.jpg

Thank you fader8, I can't wait to check this out.

Have you ever considered writing a book on Logic's Environment? I'm sure you have enough material for several step-by-step tutorials. It wouldn't have to be a massive tome you might consider a 'download only' version. I'm sure there are many like me who would buy it.

Alan.

• 7 months later...