I need a good mixing template!!!

My mixes sound terrible. I don't know enough about what delay settings, reverb settings, and effects to be using on instruments.

I want a template where I record my soft synths, and then adjust some sends to sprinkle a bit of magic on it, then Im ready to go.

So if anyone could post a template with their plug in settings and sends, that would be much appreciated! I do pop/urban type music.

I've attached the current template that Im using to give you an idea with what Im working with

Thanks

Template 2.logic.zip

No two pieces of music are the same. No two kick drums, no two vocals, no two bass lines, and so on. And the levels that any of your instruments are recorded at are not going to be the same as anyone else's. So anyone else's "mixing template" isn't going to help you.

Ever since Apple has introduced "Automatic Management of Channel Strips Objects", I haven't used a template. I just create channel strips as I need them.

I'm not sure exactly how many ideas you'd be able to get from someone else's template. I mean you could get something from seeing their entire mix, maybe, but a template? :shock:

My mixes sound terrible. I don't know enough about what delay settings, reverb settings, and effects to be using on instruments.

The only thing that will solve this is hundreds of hours of playing, mixed with judicious reading of the manual and any other reading material/video tuts you can lay your hands on. If that doesn't sound fun to you, then maybe you're just not that into it :?

When you create new tracks or delete them from the Arrange window, the Environment automatically creates or deletes the corresponding audio objects. It makes it so easy to manage tracks and channel strips that I have no reason to start from a template, I just create/delete tracks as I go.

Automatic channel management is useful when it's on, but problematic when cleaning up a project using the 'delete unused tracks' function. This is because it will delete channels (including instruments) that you might want to use even after you do your cleanup. It ranks as my least favorite feature in Logic when it's on, and my favorite Logic feature when it's switched off. ;)

And now back to the whole template thing. After giving it a bit more thought, it occurred to me that there can't possibly be such a thing as a mixing template. Can't exist and be actually meaningful with respect to anyone else's music. An instrument template is one thing altogether, but a mixing template? Nope...

Now... doing an autopsy on someone else's project might prove educational but only to the point that the project was produced/engineered well in the first place, and then only if the project contained all of the recorded parts. You won't find many of those floating around. However, there is a demo song ("The Numbers Game") that comes with Logic. Might have a look at that.

Next... I just looked at your file. It's an instrument template (not a mixing template which, remember, doesn't exist :mrgreen: ) showing a palette of sounds that you've preselected.

Many of those instruments feature a compressor and a limiter for which the settings for those plugs are exactly the same. And that can't possibly be right. I also see that you have both a compressor and the adlimiter on your master output. The first thing that came to mind is "overkill". The next thing I thought of was, "even in the off-chance that they could be adding the right stuff to the mix, there's no music to judge their settings by."

So my sincere suggestion to you is this: if you're really serious about making music then I would point you to Rev. Sleaze's post. He's right on the money.

The only thing that will solve this is hundreds of hours of playing, mixed with judicious reading of the manual and any other reading material/video tuts you can lay your hands on. If that doesn't sound fun to you, then maybe you're just not that into it :?

Im not that into it?? No : )

The reason why I want the template is because when I looked at Logic's existing templates, and the example sessions, I learnt a lot about how different projects were setup. So I just wanted to see what other people are setting up in their sessions.

For example, having sends to aux channels which has a compressor already setup for parallel compression saves me time. Having certain screenshots setup is also helpful. So Im just curious as to how people have setup their sessions in order to make their workflow better. Also, I pretty much just use the EQ and compressor plugins, so I want to see how the other plugins are being used. Having a browse through other templates, might spark an idea, regardless of genre and the recording.