Use the environment to turn monosynth to poly?

I haven't used the environment much, so I wanted to see if this was possible before I attempt it.

I want to load a few instances of a monosynth and have it so that each note goes to a unique synth. For example if I held down a chord the notes would trigger in different instances of the synth.

Having parameters change across instruments would be nice too, but not essential.

Thanks.

Just a quick update... I've been working on this here and there. I've got something working, and it seems to work nicely, but it involves some very complicated environment programming. There's no way I could possibly explain it in a post. So when I have it finished (or "if") I'll post back again.

I really shouldn't have been spending time on this, but I got "environment fever"...

OK, here it is, and here's how it works. As the OP requested, each note goes to a unique synth.

VOICE #1: play notes detached (important) and you will hear just one sound. Bass notes work well for this sound. That's voice #1. Then...

VOICE #1 and #2: hold one note in the bass and you'll hear the same sound as before. For the second sound, play a melody line (detached notes) in the RH. Then...

VOICE #1, 2 and 3: hold a bass note, hold a second note one octave higher. Those are sounds 1 and 2. Now play a melody (legato or detached, your choice) with the third voice.

NOTES:

A) My design seems to work, but please report any problems in this thread.

B) The process I'm using to separate voices and maintain voice independence is not obvious. If anyone would like an explanation I would be more than happy to provide one.

C) All outputs of this environment scheme are hard-wired to the synths, and the scheme is presently limited to 3 voices. If time permits -- and there's enough interest, I'll make the whole thing recordable and provide for more voices and other features, including voice (n) = MIDI channel (n).

D) This is preliminary programming, so any comments about how messy the environment is, and how many unneeded monitors there are and stuff will raise my wrath and unleash a mighty fury, the likes of which Scandor has never seen and which (generally) only he can invite. :evil:

©2011 Ski, offered as "freeware" and may be used freely but may not be sold or included in any free or offered-for-sale collection of environment programming regardless of whether this scheme is modified by a 3rd party or not. So there!

1056714364_Picture4.jpg.42a0e98a8c16d6e7e8682d7a6eea43f3.jpg

Ski Voice Separator V1.0.logic.zip

Gets even more fun when you have different sounds in each synth.

There were a few synths that could do this, and it can be really interesting, going from slight voice variations into completely different sounds. Nice for inspiration sometimes...

Top work Ski! :thumb

BTW, did you not get different sounds on each of the three synths? Should have been...

I haven't tried it, though I can see what you were doing from the screen grab, and I've done similar things in the past, hence the props. :)

I was just making an artistic point of some of the possibilities - ie beyond the initial topic of "turning a mono synth polyphonic".

Wow. Thank you so much! I could send you some money through paypal if you want. It works great with NI's pro 53. Setting each patch slightly differently sounds good. Really amazing with Sculpture in Legato mode and 3 different patches.

I'll have to hack this into doing at least 6 notes later on.

Somehow notifications got turned off after the first message and I just got around to noticing this.

Wow. Thank you so much! I could send you some money through paypal if you want.

:shock:

Send the money (at least $3.47 cash only) to:

'SKI'

c/o SHIVERMETIMBERS

P.O. box Parts Unknown

Carribean Sea, 0080?

http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LRG/20/2098/7ER2D00Z/posters/elk-iii-john-sunrise-over-the-caribbean-sea-playa-del-carmen-mexico.jpg

Thanks for the offer, but let's consider this one a "gimme". If you wanted it extensively modified then we can discuss that privately. :mrgreen:

In any event, Shiv prolly needs the dough more than me. After all, his cache of pirate booty is starting to run low and, as you can see, he has beach combers to maintain on the payroll to keep his waterfront property all nice and manicured and so eminently free of seaweed and other ocean detritus.

Over the next few days I'll expand this to include upwards of 10 voices and, time permitting, individual MIDI channel channels on each voice (that should be easy, but then again, whenever I say that I always regret it :lol: ).

So stay tuned!

In any event, Shiv prolly needs the dough more than me. After all, his cache of pirate booty is starting to run low and, as you can see, he has beach combers to maintain on the payroll to keep his waterfront property all nice and manicured and so eminently free of seaweed and other ocean detritus.

Arrgh! So true ...

http://stylefrizz.com/img/erin-wasson-beach-bum.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ski I am very interested in understanding the logic behind this, if you have time to post that would be great as I have a sneaking suspicion that this may solve a recent question I posed in the control room about splitting polyphonic and monophonic midi material. Any info would be great... trying to unpack what you have done this afternoon.

Curtis

• 3 years later...