Automating the arpeggiator

Hi.

I've created an environment to control an arppegiator remotely, on a Kenton Killamix which has fixed cc values.

I've skipped automating the 'repeat' function and so used a transformer object to change the cc value by one 58 to 59 for the octaves.

However i alter the octaves from my controller the 'repeat' function also switches on and off.

I've used monitors to check that the cc data is correct.

Is there anything else I should do?

Any help much appreciated

So your controller base parameter in the arpeggiator is 51, right? And you have 8 of 9 knobs in the killamix sending controllers 51 through 58?*

Also, In your pic your transformer is set to the "apply operations and filter non-matching events" mode. This wouldn't let you control anything but the octaves (assuming *).

J.

So your controller base parameter in the arpeggiator is 51, right? And you have 8 of 9 knobs in the killamix sending controllers 51 through 58?*

Yes that's right. I'm not really that confident in what all the different modes do but this seemed to work best.

Everything works fine apart from the repeat button switching off when the octaves reach 0.

I've attached the logic file which may make it clearer.

Thanks

Arp-auto3.zip

hey, thanks for this it works great, i really appreciate it.

A couple of quick questions:

—Is there any significance to how you've rounded the numbers up for the scale values?

—Also how does the record enable affect the repeat function? (this is what seems to turn the repeat onand of)

hey, thanks for this it works great, i really appreciate it.

You're welcome!

—Is there any significance to how you've rounded the numbers up for the scale values?

I just "played it by ear" until it seemed right. It responds better that way instead of using the Max. operation.

—Also how does the record enable affect the repeat function? (this is what seems to turn the repeat onand of)

The thing is, tracks in the arrange receive MIDI from the sequencer input object when they're record enabled. You have a track for the arpeggiator and a track for the instrument ("arp automation") object. If you select the arpeggiator track, MIDI from your killamix is arriving straight to the arp object, and so it responds to controllers 51 through 59 without any transformations 8therefore affecting the parameter you want to skip).

J.

I find it really hard to find these things out by just reading the manual.

I agree, the manual is not enough. There should be a practical guide with examples of what you can achieve in the environment. The way it is, you have to get your hands dirty and figure things out by yourself. It always helps to at least have a specific idea of what you want to achieve. You can always ask here when you're stuck...there's a couple of environment gurus around (I'm not one of them).

J.

I find it really hard to find these things out by just reading the manual.

I agree, the manual is not enough. There should be a practical guide with examples of what you can achieve in the environment. The way it is, you have to get your hands dirty and figure things out by yourself. It always helps to at least have a specific idea of what you want to achieve. You can always ask here when you're stuck...there's a couple of environment gurus around (I'm not one of them).

J.

I disagree with Jordito. He's being very modest about his Environment skills!!

SteveH and Ski are two of the most capable Logic Environment gurus around... of course SteveH has made the Logic Environment TNT video tuts and Ski - is a genius that will probably reply to any thread with the mere hint of an "Environment" topic...

I disagree with Jordito. He's being very modest about his Environment skills!!

:)

SteveH and Ski are two of the most capable Logic Environment gurus around... of course SteveH has made the Logic Environment TNT video tuts and Ski - is a genius that will probably reply to any thread with the mere hint of an "Environment" topic...

True.

Another great resource about the environment is Len Sasso's Environment Toolkit, which you can download from the Downloads section of his site here. It includes a pdf guide and Logic song files which contain a zillion tools and examples, but unfortunately you need Logic 7 or earlier to open them.

(Rounik, check out his "Roll Your Own Scale Corrector" :wink: )

J.