How to make a *Functional* Looper in Logic!

I haven't tried to se whether the input monitor switch on a channel strip is directly addressable via MIDI - I suspect not.

If that's the case, they should be accessible by the control surface layer, so use the controller assignments to "learn" MIDI commands to the input monitor buttons.

If that works ok, then you can use the old loopback trick where you have an environment button (or triggered by an incoming MIDI event) which sends the MIDI strings you need out via the IAC bus *back into Logic* and thus triggering the learned control assignments.

In effect, you are getting Logic to remote control itself - this is necessary because the controller assignments *steal* incoming MIDI, you can get Logic to send itself controller assignments without going out and back in, so to speak.

beej -

That sounds interesting. I didn't know about being able to wire midi back into Logic. Or rather, sure I realized MIDI could be routed any which way, but never thought to loop it back *purposefully*.

It reads like you're telling me... I can write a triggerable script in the environment?

sure coud use a lesson in that one. It would solve a ton of issues...

such as:

could one write something in the environment that selects a track (like we're talking about here) via pressing a certain key on a MIDI keyboard? say, make C1 selects "track 1" of my looper setup? D1 selects track 2, E1 selects track 3, F1 selcts tracks 4... and G1 selects a null track (track that does nothing)?

If so... this would be enough to pull off what I'm trying to create, the rest could be done via audio routing and buses (no need for input monitoring, I think).

But how to do it? Do tell. I haven't the freaking faintest Idea how to define a midi event that triggers an action. The furthest I get using Midi in the environment is setting up a transformer with filters or channel changing (send midi ch2 to midi ch7, etc.).

Right, and what I see you could not find out the right answer you excepted in that link...

This give me the idea that you probably must have to look at some other workaround which can solve your issue.

What I see by now you want to toggle the "I" monitoring of a few tracks where I guess you have inserted some Plugins so your final wish is to switch from one Plugin processor to another ?

Right now I'm away of my hardware equipment so forgive me if I'm not 100% into your scenario...

What I can suggest is to insert the Plugins into an "Input" audio object and use my TM Insert Soloist favorite Environment scheme to keyswitch the inserts using the Key notes you are talking about - see the pic below.

Get the Logic template from the attachment and try - the Keyboard track must be selected as midi IN.

A.G

http://audiogrocery.com/support/images/insert_soloist.png

insert_soloist v1.0.zip

• 1 month later...

Here is a final file.

Enclosed in the zip is a folder with 2 files:

The Logic Pro 9.1.x project file itself, and, a how-to PDF if you want to create it yourself from scratch (or improve on it).

Please respect the Creative Commons and file distribution caveat contained in the read-me file.

I also highly suggest to read the read-me no matter what.

95% of this READ-ME file is a "How-To" exercise on building your own Looper file.

You don't have to rebuild it!

The Logic project file attached is ready to go.

I put the info in there for the die-hard wanna-do-it-myself people and to share my thought process.

You will need to define or set up your own custom midi controller assignments to get the most out of this file.

If you're not sure where to start, integrating the midi keyboard-activated design that Scandor made up above is one place to begin.

I tried to make it as simple as possible (there's no Environment wiring at this writing).

Thanks all! Have fun.

EDIT: HERE'S A QUICK TIP.

I should have put this tip in the instructions; I'll add it in a later verion of the file.

For now, Copy this Quick Tip:

If you want Ultrabeat's drums to bypass the global effects,

thus avoiding the global reverb you'll most likely use on a voice track,

change Ultrabeat's channel output from Bus 56 to Bus 57.

That's all you have to do; a simple change to keep your drums dry when everything else is wet.

This little change can possibly make this a more usable file for some folks.

Ultrabeat's channel already has its own dedicated Bus Send for Tape Delay in place, for when you want to add a little spice just on the drums.

I'll make an audio demo file soon and post it on my soundcloud page, e.g. just me, Logic, and a Korg nanoKONTROL2 USB MIDI controller.

Ok, maybe a mic and guitar, too.

Next project is to convert this over into a Mainstage file, for the folks who use it.

There's no reason why this can't be done, as far as I can see.

Logic Looper for web v1 by Robert Dorschel.zip

A *Functional* Logic Pro Looper project file

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I've been trying this out and I'm completely stuck!

I've turn up the L1 - L4 Gate in channels (is this right or should I do one at a time?) Just using Mic 1 so far with it set as input one (guitar in). So the looping is working, but the only recording I can figure out is onto 'capture' channel which flattens everything. How do I record to a new channel at the end of a loop?

I realise there is something fundamental to this process that I'm still not getting, as I'm using your file straight... I've read through your PDF a few times now, it's so well explained in terms of how it's set up, but I really don't understand how I go about putting it into action!

You mention configuring a midi controller for efficiency, but for the moment I'd like to get it working even just clicking around with the mouse so I can get to grips with what is going on :)

Any help much appreciated, and thanks so much for putting this together!

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

It's probably getting on for a year since this was first being discussed now! I've not had any time whatsoever to dedicate to my music during this period, however now I'm again getting back on it. I'm keen to get this looper working and tweak it etc, but I'm having the same problems as before (as above in the previous post) and I still can't get it!! Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

P

Hi there - Sorry I haven't checked in.

As far as the looper: It requires a dedicated hardware controller (anything MIDI/USB controller, preferably with 8 sets of controls);

a little know-how in Logic's routing or channel setups (particularly the difference between pre- and post- on the bus sends);

and about 45 minutes of your time.

I am actually designing a one-hour seminar on this how-to; in which the same looper function is created in Logic 9.x, Mainstage 2.x, and Ableton Live 8.2.x without using anything but a native (or free 3rd party) delay plugin, no native "Looping" features used. Doing it this way helps you wrap your head around the concept of synced looped tracks in a live situation; something that can't be done with the current little looping pedals, with the exception of the Boss RC-50 and Electrix Repeater.

As far as recording to a new channel; I believe what you are trying to do is record (as in, SAVE) your individual loop content for future retrieval. This is possible but requires you to create additional 4 stereo audio tracks to record to full-time; and a hard drive or equivalent plus fast CPU that can handle all of this read/write traffic without stuttering.

Anyways

I personally haven't messed around with this project since Feb 2012 as I changed USB controllers.

It definitely needs revisiting. I'll post again in a little bit once it's revamped.

• 6 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I've been trying to find a way to make a functional and reliable looper in Logic and I've come across Sooper Looper and Mobius plugins. I briefly looked at them and found that there is some fairly complex routing involved. I also didn't want to depend on a open source plugin. I also ran into this thread. I downloaded the .zip file and loaded it up in Logic and mass confusing ensued. I'm sure I could have figured this out given the time, but I was looking for a simpler solution. Lo and behold Mainstage 2 came to the rescue. I didn't even know it existed. If you're looking for a option for performing live this may be the solution. The Loopback and Playback plugins allow on the fly recording and looping. I'm sure many of you have already knew about Mainstage, but I figured I should write this as I didn't know about it and I did a fair amount of research on live looping and loopers and it never came up. It's pretty easy to use and for 29 bucks, you can't beat it.

• 1 month later...
beej -

...could one write something in the environment that selects a track (like we're talking about here) via pressing a certain key on a MIDI keyboard? say, make C1 selects "track 1" of my looper setup? D1 selects track 2, E1 selects track 3, F1 selcts tracks 4... and G1 selects a null track (track that does nothing)?

What about the Environemt TouchTrack object?