Chromatic Launchpad:pads remapped, with LED feedback

edit: version 4.0 is here

This template is designed to work without AutoMap ( to disable AutoMap Server from launching automatically with Logic I simply change it's spelling in the Applications folder ).

The side buttons are bypassed, the 64 pads are remapped chromatically ( starting at C-2 ), and give you LED feedback of the MIDI you record.

Yes, the pads are not velocity sensitive, so no, it's not ideal for playing Ultrabeat, EXS24 etc.

To record, select your instrument track, and record enable both it and the Feedback track - the alias MIDI notes recorded here get remapped in the Environment and sent back out to the LaunchPad.

The fader adjusts the LED colors.

If anyone fancies adding features to this, and sharing... please do :)

744029174_ChromaticLaunchPad.png.8f442a26668d18562f6a6340c49fd7af.png

Chromatic LaunchPad.zip

Edit: I'll replace this basic template with one that adds muting of recorded midi notes on playback - which is useful, in a 'subtractive overdubbing' sort of way... when I get it working fully

Edited by ibt

• 2 years later...

I had a closer look at that template and saw there was no need for a separate track for LED feedback in the arrange window. So that's gone.

I also added a 'Note Muter' - mutes playback of MIDI notes on the instrument track.

So, using the top two round buttons on the righthand column:

• when upper button (1) is green, you can play and record notes, and notes in regions already on the track play as expected.

• when lower button (2) is green, you can mute notes in regions by holding down the relevant pads - and they will display red instead of green, and are muted / hijacked before they hit the instrument)

• if you like what you hear, and want to keep those notes muted, keep the pads pressed and switch back to button 1.

Zip includes a .png file of a LaunchPad -> Logic Pro.app/Contents/Resources/Images/Icons

Again, this template is built to work without AutoMap.

[Template includes radio buttons shared by fader8 in a post here ]

Chromatic LaunchPad 2.0.zip

871825945_ChromaticLaunchPad2.0.jpg.e5fa7ff3f7ebe7383916842876c5affc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A few more changes:

• added a 'mute latch' mode (3rd button down)

• added a 'clear buffer' for muted notes (4th button down)

• added a 'clear all' button - to refresh all pads (5th button down)

• active / muted notes continuously display green / red

• top row buttons behave as radio buttons - available to trigger arpeggiators/note repeaters, controller assignments etc.

NB this template was made with Logic 9.1.8 - don't know whether it's compatible with Logic X.

YouTube video might help you see how it's 'supposed' to work

alt YouTube links:

Chromatic LaunchPad 3.0.zip

Edited by ibt

• 2 months later...

PS In case you aren't familiar with Environment, and are a bit lost... the Logic file in the previous post opens in the Environment window, but the cables are hidden, so press the key combination ctrl C to unhide them.

Connect the input cable for your Launchpad (from the Physical Input object on the left), to the "from LaunchPad" object.

Then click on/select the IAC1 object in the Environment window, and in the Inspector pane on the left, select your IAC driver from the dropdown 'Port:' menu. (The IAC driver needs to be enabled using the Audio Midi Setup app (in your Applications/Utilities folder)

Lastly, click on/select the Launchpad object, and in the Inspector, select your Launchpad from the dropdown 'Port:' menu.

Screensets: Press 1 for the Arrange window, or 8 for the Environment window.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a Novation Launchpad Mini, and I plugged it into my iMac running Logic 9.1.8.

I have no idea what an IAC is or how it works, nor am I finding many (if any) resources on the internet on how to use or what it is.

These wiring setups are great, but I keep getting relentless errors like this:

Instrument “LaunchPad” sends to a MIDI port named “Launchpad Mini 2” of MIDI interface “Launchpad Mini 2” which no longer exists.

Please check if all MIDI interfaces are connected and switched on; otherwise adjust the instrument’s MIDI out port setting.

and

Instrument “IAC1” sends to a MIDI port named “IAC 1” of MIDI interface “IAC Driver” which no longer exists.

Please check if all MIDI interfaces are connected and switched on; otherwise adjust the instrument’s MIDI out port setting.

I literally have spent hours researching this and no one has an answer for me.

I need a ground up, from plug in to running smoothly tutorial from you guys. You guys here seem to be the only people on the planet who are wiring Launchpad into Logic, which is exactly what I need to do.

Thanks ahead of time!

EDIT

Found out how to use the IAC driver, but still have no idea how you guys have it set up here. :D

Ok. Pure dead brilliant. Figured it out. It only took 2 days.

For those complete newbies like me follow this list:

1. Plug in Launchpad.

2. Go to "Audio Midi Setup" Located in Utilities. (A Cmd+Spacebar followed by typing "Audio Midi Setup" works too).

2. Make sure you are in the Midi tab, or Midi portion of Audio Midi Setup.

4. Set the IAC Driver to Enabled by clicking on it until a dialog box shows up and then clicking the checkbox that enables it.

5. Do the same for the Launchpad.

6. Open up any of the files from this forum (shown above in previous posts).

7. Press Control+C to show the wires.

8. Wire "Launchpad..." to "From Launchpad" near the bottom left corner of the cluster of objects in the environment window.

9. Click the drop down arrow on the top left of the logic screen and navigate to "All Objects"

10. Click on the IAC Object (about half way down) and then on the left hand side of the screen you will see an option for port: Set this to the non grayed out IAC option.

11. Click on Launchpad and set its port to the non grayed out Launchpad Option.

All done! Your launchpad should light up a little. Press play and watch and listen as magic occurs.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey ibt, thanks for the speedy response.

I can't seem to make sense of a lot of above. I have opened your template and gone into the environment window. I click play and the launchpad lights up according to the correct notes played. So far so good.

But I don't have any of the options you have in your video and can't see the options to wire "Launchpad" to "From Launchpad".

Thanks for all your help so far!

But I don't have any of the options you have in your video and can't see the options to wire "Launchpad" to "From Launchpad".

Did you go through CLeDoux's checklist above, and unhide the cables (pressing 'ctrl C' on your keyboard, or click 'View' on the Environment windows toolbar, and 'Cables' from the dropdown)?

If the side buttons/top buttons aren't lighting up, then it sounds like you still need to set up the MIDI ports for the 'IAC 1' and 'Launchpad' objects correctly.

I'd recommend you read just a few things from the Logic manual about working in the Environment - the very basics: Getting to Know the Environment

Yes I did, I can see all the cables but didn't move anything as I couldn't see what to move.

Thank you for the link. I've read it fully and it did help.

I have done everything CLeDoux recommended and it gives me playback but again I cannot see or use the side buttons etc. Here is a screenshot of everything I've done.

http://i58.tinypic.com/15rm90y.png

http://i59.tinypic.com/5dwm13.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/avoa4x.png

All the clues to this puzzle are contained in your first screenshot : you haven't connected your Launchpad to Logic yet.

In the same way you've connected your Launchpad controller to your iMac with a USB cable, in Logic, you have to use 'virtual cables' to connect the MIDI signals from Launchpad to Logic's Sequencer, and to instruments like UltraBeat, EXS24 etc., otherwise your Launchpad doesn't exist, as far as Logic is concerned .

So, you have 3 more things to do before you can get cracking...

(1) Connect IAC/Bus 1 and (2) connect Launchpad (as seen in the Gif), and lastly (3) delete that other cable connection you made from the 'Launchpad' object over on the bottom right in your 1st screenshot...

...and you should now be good to go.

cables.gif.9ddf0cb70d02e459af8f923330634bd8.gif

1212889682_LaunchpadintoLogic.png.f311fd3a9b1d4ff221b58a74dc913e62.png

• 2 years later...
All the clues to this puzzle are contained in your first screenshot : you haven't connected your Launchpad to Logic yet.

This is truly fantastic ibt! Got the version 3.0 template to work correctly on my Launchpad Mini  + Logic 10.3.2 :) 

Just wondering, if I wanted to change the layout of how the notes appear on the Launchpad how would I go about doing that?

This is truly fantastic ibt! Got the version 3.0 template to work correctly on my Launchpad Mini  + Logic 10.3.2 :) 

Glad to hear you're happy with it.

Just wondering, if I wanted to change the layout of how the notes appear on the Launchpad how would I go about doing that?

This could be somewhat complicated! But it's doable, editing some stuff in the Environment window.

Do you mean have the instrument play scales other than Chromatic - Major, Dorian etc.? 

Or have the pads/LEDs display scales a la Ableton Push etc.?

Do you mean have the instrument play scales other than Chromatic - Major, Dorian etc.? 

Or have the pads/LEDs display scales a la Ableton Push etc.?

It would be cool to have options for both of the things you mentioned! But I'm more keen on having the Drum layout and Note layout that's available with the Launchpad Pro in Logic (there's a video on the Novation site), seems like those layouts are availabe by default but only with the Launchpad Pro.

Have you tried assigning those same 8 key assignments/key stroke assignments* used in the video (@1:30 - 4:15 ) to your Launchpad? The top row of buttons in the template are unused, so I'd suggest setting that up for a start - they should function equally well on the LP as on the LP Pro

*Select All, Quantize, Cycle, Zoom Horizontal Out, Zoom Horizontal In, Zoom Vertical Out, Zoom Vertical In 

To do that, It would be much easier for you to just build a new template from scratch. The layouts he uses in the video can be reproduced with some MIDI routing and processing in the Environment - it's what it was made for! You're basically taking the LP's incoming MIDI messages, processing them (remapping etc.), and passing those messages to an instrument, and/or out of Logic and back to the LP.

You could start a new Logic project and if you have difficulties, start a new thread in this section of the forum with any questions.

Have you tried assigning those same 8 key assignments/key stroke assignments* used in the video (@1:30 - 4:15 ) to your Launchpad? The top row of buttons in the template are unused, so I'd suggest setting that up for a start - they should function equally well on the LP as on the LP Pro

*Select All, Quantize, Cycle, Zoom Horizontal Out, Zoom Horizontal In, Zoom Vertical Out, Zoom Vertical In 

To do that, It would be much easier for you to just build a new template from scratch. The layouts he uses in the video can be reproduced with some MIDI routing and processing in the Environment - it's what it was made for! You're basically taking the LP's incoming MIDI messages, processing them (remapping etc.), and passing those messages to an instrument, and/or out of Logic and back to the LP.

You could start a new Logic project and if you have difficulties, start a new thread in this section of the forum with any questions.

Hey ibt, I don't care much for the Select All, Cycle, etc assignments.. I'm more concerned with the second thing you mentioned. I guess I'll need to take a look at your Environment and figure this stuff on my own but in reality I'm a complete noob when it comes to the Environment!

• 3 weeks later...

Dusted this project off, and finally gave those top 8 buttons something to do.

Each top button transposes the pattern that's playing by a given value (set in Logic), by up to 23 semitones: a 'transpose event', or preset, let's say.

1.jpg.d6a4b8580c0d89f0af90c7da0ac28802.jpg

Edit:  Ultrabeat's Sequencer can sound pretty good playing with these transposers, the right patterns, and the right drum kits. (n.b. Launchpad won't display feedback from Ultrabeat's built-in sequencer, since UB doesn't do (live) MIDI out... AU specification etc.etc.)

Also, there's now an 'initialise' button to light up the Launchpad buttons when the project is opened.

As before, in the Environment window: 

- the Launchpad or Launchpad Mini has to be 'cabled' from the Physical Input object to the 'fromLaunchpad' object;

- the IAC Driver has to be cabled from the Physical Input object to the 'fromIACtoLaunchpad' object;

- select the 'toLaunchpad' object (over to the right), then check that your Launchpad is correctly selected in the 'Port' section in the Inspector panel;

- select the 'toIAC' object, then check that the IAC driver is correctly selected in the 'Port' section in the Inspector panel.

2.jpg.0fd0e86ee6a25a6d7566604138652fea.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.7b78d3dfc5e48c964f9d35c133bf60e5.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.af1bb34e5799808f880a496008340497.jpg

To do:

Add a discrete mute_buffer, one for each of the transposers, to work alongside the shared mute_buffer (using one of the unused side buttons).

Add solo_momentary and solo_latch functionality.

Add instantaneous display of active pads, on pressing a transposer (in versions to date, LEDs become active sequentially, as each note plays). This should work whether Logic is stopped or playing.

Chromatic Launchpad 4.0.1.zip

(0.1 because bug)