Universal Orchestral Template (w/VSL SE and reverb presets!)

Hey Everybody,

While composer's templates are very personal and specific to one's workflow, there still seems to be a real dearth of good orchestra templates out there. I decided to modify my Orchestral template to create a universal version that can be used with Logic (no other software required) and Vienna Special Edition Standard (if you own it). I think a lot of composers at all levels struggle with templates and finding a way to have what they need at their fingertips without bogging down their workflow with excessive tracks at the same time. I know because it's been an ongoing battle for me as well. This template has been my working solution for a few months now.

The things that are important to me are:

- all elements of the orchestra that I use are available within 1 click and the patches get the most out of the samples with minimal keyswitching

- the layout is as close to a conductor's score as will fit my workflow

- the whole arrangement more or less fits on the screen without having to scroll, at a non-microscopic zoom level

- my general preferences, levels and reverb settings are mostly dialed in ahead of time so I don't have set them each project

- good integration with hybrid scoring elements

- some basic mixing elements and mixdown frameworks are in place

I wanted stay within Logic's natural workflow, so I used the Library to it's fullest potential, organized my audio in folders, implemented a sound track naming system, and chose to skip convoluted environment workarounds (though there's nothing wrong with doing that stuff if it suits you.) So I am pleased to present to you the Universal Orchestral Template v1.0. I am Vienna user, so the patches I included all use that Library, but the basic Library framework for calling up those patches can be used to organize your own if you don't own VSL SE.

Included in the .zip file are:

- Universal Orchestral Template 1.0 logic project

- SD Reverb Settings (uses Logic's own IR's, but you should definitely get and use the many other free ones available on this site)

- channel strip settings for the Library (.cst)

- Instrument settings for VSL (aupreset)

- readme guide to the template (READ FIRST!)

I also recommend doing a couple of things if using VSL that will speed load times up considerably.

1) load up every possible articulation that you think you'll need into 1 single metaframe of VE or VE pro.

2) save it

3) load this in morning when you turn on your computer. then close it down. All of that stuff is now cached and will load almost instantly inside logic.

4) (this is not specific to VSL) assign a key command to "toggle library" - I use the " \ " as it is easy find on the keyboard in the heat of the moment.

I included a guide for beginners, but it's my hope that all levels of user can benefit from this.

You can also contact me from there or send me a message if you have any questions.

Have a blast!

NP

Universal Orch Template 1.0.zip

• 2 weeks later...
how about a doing a stereo bus master or adding some nice stereo delays:)

Thank you in advance

I was going to include my stereo bus channel, but it uses 3rd party (waves) stuff - I wanted to keep it all logic only, so that anyone could use it. I did included VSL presets to demonstrate how the library menus are organized, but it's not a requirement that you have VSL SE to use the template. The EQ's just happen to be optimized for it, but they honestly work on other orchestral libs, which I also use.

• 2 years later...

Neil, thank you very much for your great work. This is much better, much neater than my half-backed orchestral templates!

Now that Logic has track folders, how would you use them to group tracks? By instrumental section, or according to any other order?

Paolo