A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

jendakub
Topic Author

Midi Plugins Freeze Scripter Script and Utility app

Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Hello all,

I have found out how to freeze the Logic Pro midi plugins. There is currently no way how to do that in Logic, the "Freeze midi plugins" menu is missing as can be seen in other DAWs however it is possible to do that using a Scripter script that will produce a textual representation of midi events then parse this events to midi and import the midi file. The parsing of midi events is done in small utility application that converts text to midi file.

I am attaching the application to this thread...
Attachments
Recorder.zip
Scripter Script
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Logic MidiFX Helper.zip
Utility Application that parses text to midi.
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 512 times

Jordi Torres

Re: Midi Plugins Freeze Scripter Script and Utility app

Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:38 am

Wow! This is great! thanks for sharing, jendakub!

J.
Et voilà!

MacBook Pro 15" Retina i7 2.2 GHz - 16GB RAM | OS 10.14.6 | Logic Pro 10.4.8
Merging Hapi | RME Fireface 400 | Akai MPK49 | Nord Micro Modular

jendakub
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:40 am

Here is a quick video how it works:
[youtube]mQh1NxxnVvE[/youtube]

cforlong

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:41 am

This really is GREAT .
I have used it already to 'capture' both MIDI FX chords and ARPs in 2 songs.

--- Not sure I am using the CLEAR function correctly as nothing seems to clear out of the console.
Logic Pro X 10.2.4                                • Audio Interface Focusrite Forte
iMac 27" 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7             • Controller Nektar P1
OS 10.12 • 24GB RAM                           • Wireless Lemur for iPad

jendakub
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:49 am

Hello,

The clear is clearing the midi buffer, however there is no way to clear the console, there is no function in Scripter API to make that happen. So I have made that the last print is goint to be used. You can copy to clipboar all input and the last printed midi is going to be converted in app.

If you want to clear the console, you must reload the plugin, reloading the plugin it initialized and removes any data...

If you have any comment or problem or function request just let me know, I have many ideas for that little app to improve. Like saving the records, probably iCloud synch, file playback from the app and so.

vanhaze

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:22 pm

jendakub,

This is just awesome !
Thank you so much for the effort !

This is my way to go now for capturing midi data sent from Midi FX plugins,
instead of the IAC way.

Very eager to see any updates ! :D

Best,

Rob.
Macbook Pro Retina 2015 - OSX 10.15 - Always latest version of Logic Pro X - UAD Apollo Twin.

jendakub
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:31 pm

Hello, thanks actually there is another way recording via external instrument, but you have to replace the instrument to external one and so.

I like the ability to have the retrospective recording that the Scripter can do.I am going to extend the Logic MidiFX Helper vith midi in out , so you would be able to play the recording via any armed track in logic open midi files and play them via armed track in logic, saving the files to disk and so.

vanhaze

Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Just great, thanks a million for this !
Macbook Pro Retina 2015 - OSX 10.15 - Always latest version of Logic Pro X - UAD Apollo Twin.

Norman

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:06 am

This is great! Thanks for giving it us. To get rid of those JavaScript warnings the complete PluginParameter form is:

{name:"Record/Clear Buffer", type:"menu", valueStrings:["Record", "Clear"],
numberOfSteps:2, defaultValue:0, unit:'Menu Item'},

jendakub
Topic Author

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:37 am

Thanks, I will add this. I am extending the utility to add some really cool features for retrospective record too.

vanhaze

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:09 am

Thank you so much, can't wait !

Vascillate

Tue May 13, 2014 9:15 am

Thank you Jendakub! This makes me very, very, very happy. Logic's arpeggiator has been hanging notes for me since I've started using it, and this just fixed that problem. :)
Logic 9.1.8, 10.0.7
OS X 10.9.1
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4 GB RAM
NI Komplete Audio 6

Jordi Torres

Tue May 13, 2014 9:55 am

@Vascillate

Did you see his audio unit plug-in? It's better than using the script + MIDI helper app:

http://www.audiocr.com/index.php

J.
Et voilà!

Vascillate

Tue May 13, 2014 2:25 pm

WOW. This is super helpful thanks guys!
Logic 9.1.8, 10.0.7
OS X 10.9.1
NI Komplete Audio 6

Vascillate

Tue May 13, 2014 4:09 pm

With the AU plugin has anyone else found that the MIDI recording can't quite keep up with some long/fast paced regions? It's not a big problem, and there are workarounds, but it might just make that plugin a little better.
Logic 9.1.8, 10.0.7
OS X 10.9.1
NI Komplete Audio 6

jendakub
Topic Author

Tue May 13, 2014 4:17 pm

Hello, do not understand the issue, can you explain?

Vascillate

Tue May 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi jendakub,

When I record a fast arpeggio (16th notes at 135 bpm) for about 8 measures or more the notes slowwwllyy get farther apart. This would be fine, as you can click the quantize time button with the right settings in the piano roll, but when I converted an arp over the course of 32 measures, the quantizing button quantized some things to the wrong note due to how off they were. It wasn't so bad though, because i could just convert it 8 measures at a time. Anyways, this plugin has still been a lifesaver, and I can't thank you enough.
Logic 9.1.8, 10.0.7
OS X 10.9.1
NI Komplete Audio 6

angelonyc

Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:27 pm

I have several plug-ins, which generate sequences or arpeggios within them selves.. For instance XILS 4. It is a take off on the old Synthi AKS (synthesizer in a briefcase).. I would like to capture the midi out of the XILS. When it plays a track, it looks at the incoming midi notes, and generates its notes on top of that and they sound as the XILS.. Honestly I want to get just the compiled midi data, and have it played by a different instrument..

Same for real quitar.. I would like to get it's midi out (very real simulation of proper 6 strings being played, and have that played by a different instrument..

The midi freeze unit only captures the original notes, not the new generated one.. so it's just like making a copy of original midi track..

I couldn't get the IAC thing to work, cause I can't find a way to assign a software ware synth to IAC.. If you switch the instrument to external midi, you lose the plug in synth that generates the note..

The other posts here have dead links.. One takes you to a 'hockey' place, where you have to join.. I'm very leery of sights that direct to a a different site, and won't go there...

I'm not sure what I'm not understanding.. can anyone point me in a direction..thanx...Mark Styles
MacPro 2015 12 core - 64 gig of ram
OSX 11.01
Logic Pro 10.6
RME fireface 800, Genelec 8040A's
Genos, Montage,Motif XS Rack, Korg M3, Intrega 7, Falcon UVI, Kontakt, u-he, musiclab
Kontakt, UVI, U-he, Music Lab- Modartt
Kontakt and UVI libraries, U-he, Madrona Labs, Music Labs, Serum, Synthmaster, Seaboard Rise, SWAM

SampleTank,Falcon,UVI, A.I.R. MusicTechnologies

Jordi Torres

Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:03 am

Hi,

angelonyc wrote:
I would like to capture the midi out of the XILS.

First of all, are you sure it outputs any MIDI? In Logic, the only type of plug-in that can output MIDI directly (and always to another plug-in) are MIDI FX plug-ins. There are also plug-ins that output MIDI via a virtual port that appears in Logic's Physical Input object, just like any other MIDI device's MIDI input. The Xils is a software instrument, so it would fit the second scenario, but a quick pick at its manuals revealed nothing about MIDI output.

angelonyc wrote:
Same for real quitar

I think that one does use a virtual port, if I remember correctly. You'd have to check it's manual though.

angelonyc wrote:
The other posts here have dead links.. One takes you to a 'hockey' place, where you have to join.. I'm very leery of sights that direct to a a different site, and won't go there...

The only link in this thread is the one in my post, and that one goes to AudioCR's website. Where did you see this link to a hockey place?

J.
Et voilà!

angelonyc

Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:30 am

Thanx Jordi... I have emailed XILS about this. Real Guitar midi output does not work with Logic. Because Apple did not include a passing of midi between instruments (at least up until X)... The Real Guitar VST plug-in does pass midi out. (but that's moot in Logic) I don't see a way top patch a software's midi output a nother module..

I can't find a way to patch software synths to AI. Only external midi will accept.. Perhaps I am missing something here..

I tried the recorder script, that seemed to work I got a buffer full of notes and velocity. . But the Logic midi FX helper is expired when you try to run it..I assume you run it and paste or drag in the recorder's buffer ad it gives you a midi file.

When I try to open Logic Midi FX helper it tells you to go to
http://logicmidifx.artproweb.com/... There you see a link to download the FX new helper, clicking that brings me to

https://rink.hockeyapp.net/manage/welcome. The site appears to have an app which 'registers' your devices.. It is not entirely clear to me what kind of sight it is.

If you can shed more light on this..
MacPro 2015 12 core - 64 gig of ram
OSX 11.01
Logic Pro 10.6
RME fireface 800, Genelec 8040A's
Genos, Montage,Motif XS Rack, Korg M3, Intrega 7, Falcon UVI, Kontakt, u-he, musiclab
Kontakt, UVI, U-he, Music Lab- Modartt
Kontakt and UVI libraries, U-he, Madrona Labs, Music Labs, Serum, Synthmaster, Seaboard Rise, SWAM

SampleTank,Falcon,UVI, A.I.R. MusicTechnologies