Euphonix MC Control

More Pics! More Pics! More Pics!

By the way- what is that awesome looking Apple-esque keyboard above your MIDI keyboard? It looks like some sort of custom unit with shortcuts or something on the keys?

-DN

Not the best picture...but this is how I have it setup.....

938562867_rig.jpg.d4571ef1b8575a42145ccdfb98123909.jpg

Edited by dbassfour

Nick,

I am actually having a few problems though on MBP Intel.

1. The Shift Commands on the Jog wheel are not working.

When you are set to "Zoom Horiz" you should be able to Zoom Verticalwhen holding the shift button. That doesnt happen, and you just wind up zooming Horizontal again.

Resolution : You have to hit "Shift Zoom" Until the Zoom button is not lit anymore. Thats how you know you are in Vertical Zoom.

Same deal goes for Jog / Shuttle. Hope this saves someone some time!

2. The riser they give you is not nearly high enough. The screen looks washed out unless you are at a good angle. I had to boost mine an inch in order for it to be actually viewable. Correctable, but they should really just give you a bigger riser.

3. When running Battery and the Eucon at the same time, I get really weird crashes. They are REPLICATABLE, only on my system for now though. The only common factor is the Euphonix. Again, Im waiting to hear from support on this one too, to see if its just related to my system or waht the deal is. NI support is painfully slow.

4. The screen itself flickers a bit, not horribly, but it really shouldnt on a $1500 piece of equipment.

Other than that Im enjoying it, and cant wait for the soft keys to be programmable - the ones they give you dont make sense for my workflow, so customizable ones would rock. I heard that its coming out in the next software/firmware update.

Ill probably repost this in the main forum - since this is a bit specific for this thread.

- Dion Roy

All the other shift commands work just fine.

IM waiting to see what Euphonix says.

@ shadowbox,

I hear what you're saying about being a composer with keyboard, mouse, etc. I've got my keyboard, 3 mice, 3 computer keyboards, and a music rack (the space taken up ATM with a Korg M3). So I'm curious about how you've got your rig set up. Would you mind posting a picture?

In the last year or so I have been on a mission to simplify my set up. I am now completely running inside the box and with my new 8-core I no longer need a second PC. So I only have one keyboard, mouse, etc. If you have to have 3 keyboards,etc. I would get a Keyboard, mouse, monitor switcher. I write a lot of orchestrated music with the Quantum Leap libraries and have no problem composing with one computer and a bunch of hard drives. The Freeze function is my friend! But with my new 8-core I rarely even have to use freeze. Here is a picture of my set up. I just recently got the 30" monitor which I prefer over 2 separate monitors and gives me plenty of room for everything.

You can hear some of my music on my website (www.shadowboxmusic.com). The music I created for "Six Degrees Could Change the World" was composed with one Dual G5. Admittedly, my computer was huffing and puffing. But it didn't really slow me down at all. This was the project that led to my getting an 8-core Mac Pro. The ease of having one computer and one file to open and load everything has sped up my workflow tremendously. And having a clean, ergonomic layout also helps the creative process. That's what me thinks anyway...

Shadowbox, what desk is that, please? Also, is the keyboard on a sliding shelf. I really like the setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Well mine arrived and the screen flickers like mad.

I got in touch with Euphonix and they say there are some that are like this, they are arranging a replacement.

Fader tops are very tacky and do not fit well, they actually start coming off when the faders slam into the case on downward travel.

Also some of the pad lights also flicker annoyingly.

Overall I am not too impressed with the build quality.

• 4 weeks later...

yea that's what I'm finding as well -

Also I find the touch screen to be slow - I can open and close Logics windows much faster with a computer keyboard.

Having faders and pan and send levels etc form a surface rocks... now considering getting MC Mix instead. Plus on the Mix they put the OLED displays above the faders/knobs you're working with - and that's really nice.

I think for using the internal Logic plugs both MC's work really nicely -

@ shadowbox,

I hear what you're saying about being a composer with keyboard, mouse, etc. I've got my keyboard, 3 mice, 3 computer keyboards, and a music rack (the space taken up ATM with a Korg M3). So I'm curious about how you've got your rig set up. Would you mind posting a picture?

In the last year or so I have been on a mission to simplify my set up. I am now completely running inside the box and with my new 8-core I no longer need a second PC. So I only have one keyboard, mouse, etc. If you have to have 3 keyboards,etc. I would get a Keyboard, mouse, monitor switcher. I write a lot of orchestrated music with the Quantum Leap libraries and have no problem composing with one computer and a bunch of hard drives. The Freeze function is my friend! But with my new 8-core I rarely even have to use freeze. Here is a picture of my set up. I just recently got the 30" monitor which I prefer over 2 separate monitors and gives me plenty of room for everything.

You can hear some of my music on my website (www.shadowboxmusic.com). The music I created for "Six Degrees Could Change the World" was composed with one Dual G5. Admittedly, my computer was huffing and puffing. But it didn't really slow me down at all. This was the project that led to my getting an 8-core Mac Pro. The ease of having one computer and one file to open and load everything has sped up my workflow tremendously. And having a clean, ergonomic layout also helps the creative process. That's what me thinks anyway...

Where did you get your desk from?

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I just got the MC Control arrived. But I am having troubles starting up Logic after I installed the software for the Euphonix MC Control. Logic crashes at the splash-screen exactly when it shows "Starting up EuCon Support". When I remove EU Control Software everything is back to normal again.

I tried software version 1.2.1 & 1.2.4 with firmware update but the problem remains.

Please, somebody tell me what I can do in order to use this product with Logic, because now it is completely useless to me.

Hello,

I just got the MC Control arrived. But I am having troubles starting up Logic after I installed the software for the Euphonix MC Control. Logic crashes at the splash-screen exactly when it shows "Starting up EuCon Support". When I remove EU Control Software everything is back to normal again.

I tried software version 1.2.1 & 1.2.4 with firmware update but the problem remains.

Please, somebody tell me what I can do in order to use this product with Logic, because now it is completely useless to me.

I'd get in touch with Euphonix support if I was in your situation.

Really hope this works out for you, Really weird though, can the problem be....Logic?

Logic has never been the issue with my setup.

There have been some issues of EuControl crashing when one of my units has been turned on or off, but after the last firmware and driver update is dead stable.

How is the fader resolution with logic? The MC Control is supposed to have 1024 fader res, but in logic, to software faders seem to only do 128. Does the MC Control actually allow for the faders in logic to have a higher res? Or does it still only do 128 in Logic?

I have reinstall Logic 8 without the conntent and the 1.2.4 dmg from the Euphonix website. I follow this steps:

I would quit the Euphonix EuControl, start logic, then start the EuControl but just the first time. Let logic come up. Set logic to not open up a song by default. Quit logic then start EuControl, turn on your console and wait for it to boot, and then start logic. should be good to go from there. Open a song.

the problem was Logic Update 8.0.2.. with 8.0.0 works fine :)))

I'm very happy and impressed from this toy!

I have reinstall Logic 8 without the conntent and the 1.2.4 dmg from the Euphonix website. I follow this steps:

I would quit the Euphonix EuControl, start logic, then start the EuControl but just the first time. Let logic come up. Set logic to not open up a song by default. Quit logic then start EuControl, turn on your console and wait for it to boot, and then start logic. should be good to go from there. Open a song.

the problem was Logic Update 8.0.2.. with 8.0.0 works fine :)))

I'm very happy and impressed from this toy!

Glad to hear that your up and running ;)

I'm using MC Control from two days. Everithing works fine for now. I begun to create my sounds on Instruments with Soft Knobs. But I have a problem with Ultrabeat. The other instruments are fully controlable (all parameters) but when i select the Ultrabeat i have just 7 parameters on the Soft Knobs and they are for the Sequencer: Power - on/off ; Start-Stop ; Voice - Step ; Lenght ; Resolution ; Pattern Mode ; Voice mute mode.

Is it an update problem or i must set something else for full control ?!?!?!

The fader resolution is great (and adjustable). I use the factory setting and it is more accurate to me than dragging the fader with the mouse. I don't know the exact resolution off the top of my head. The speed of it is great. It is awesome for doing things in real time, like creating markers, etc. That's my two cents...

beltauer_studios_6486.jpg.51f39a98ed3a776164beb552931f0861.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using a grey (non-"Pro") Mackie Control and Mackie Control C4. I have been drooling over the new Euphonix stuff for a while, but I have decided to stick with what I have, for a couple of reasons:

The jog dial on the Mackie is way nicer. I also really like the chunky transport controls on the Mackie, which just feel right. And it's a minor quibble, but Euphonix developed such sexy products, I just can't understand for the life of me why they would put power and ethernet on opposite sides of the unit. No matter what you have a wire coming from each back corner. Also, the 4-button zoom on the Mackie units seems more intuitive to me than having to flip between "horizontal" and "vertical' zoom modes, then move the dial - I think I would be constantly zooming in the wrong direction first.

I love the MC products' good looks, and smaller desktop footprint. Front-to-back space on my desk is at such a premium, and those little buggers would shave off a lot. And the displays are just so beautiful and easy to read.

I wish Mackie Control and C4 could have nice OLED displays and come in a slim package, that could then be attached together seamlessly. Honestly I don't think Euphonix's offering would be nearly as compelling. If only I could shake this brushed-metal-and-touchscreen-envy.

• 4 weeks later...

hello.

i just want to share my observation of using mc mix. as a live sound guy i used to create mix by putting all faders down and listen all track separately. so i did it on mc mix and while i change some layer some tracks which fader i recently take down is playing because it raise for about 1 cm.

i was mixing song about 3 hours with mc mix and this happen all the time when i had faders down and i change layer.

anyone has the same problem?

• 1 month later...

For those of you interested:

The workstation in the photos I posted awhile back is a slightly modified Omnirax Producer's Corner desk. (Just the desk and not the optional racs. Basically I found a 76-key keyboard that fit almost perfectly between the legs and added supports for it. So the keyboard is actually mounted below the desk surface putting it at piano height. (About 28 inches.) That's it!

http://www.omnirax.com/index.php/DisplayProduct/0-19

• 7 months later...

I really had hard time with McMix from day one to day now. Always something went wrong. Mostly communication failure between Logic and Euphonix. First I thought buying the McControl too. But I am not sure now.

I want to concentrate on my Music and do this by using my tools. But unfortunately I only had to concentrate on McMix to work properly.

Now it works after tons of communication with the team. They are all good and helpful. They solved every issue. But every issue's solving time plus e-mailng and so forth is a sum of not doing what was intended to do.

Just a few weeks everything was fine now the numerical value of the faders isn't visible on the OLed display of McMix. And I need those numerical values in my workflow. I wrote the issue to Euphonix and they told me that this is an issue with Logic 9.01. and will be solved soon. But weren't Logic, McMix and Apple a power trio? So trio's should work in harmony.

You see, "will be solved soon". Sum all so many "soons" and what have you got. The sum of time wasted.

On my point of view it is o.k. to use users reviews to develop the product to the further. But it's not ok when users are used to determine the faults of the product. So it is in this case.

So,I do not recommend McMIx to use it with Logic anyway.

Hope this message will help everybody both the consumer Logic and Euphonix.

Peace.

I'm still waiting for one of you D.I.Y. folks to make a desk like this:

Cool but need more space for two 30" monitors! Not that I have them yet, it is a near plan to do so or keep the 24" and 22" I have now and put up a 48" or 52" TV as the big mixer monitor on the wall above the two monitors I already have, of course I'll have to get a MacPro instead of my MBP to run them with all my other inputs, the MBP is maxed out there!

8)

Other than that the desk looks great!