How to record automation when playing back midi? [SOLVED]

draculing

Hi, I've just bought a Prophet 8 module and cant work out how to record automation changes on my midi channel in logic. I guess I have to use the learn mode in logic but not sure how.Also the volume control for the midi channel does nothing. 1 more thing can you not open fx plugins on a midi channel?

many thanks.

Welcome to Logic Pro Help, please take a minute to read our forum rules and add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#5)

Any MIDI messages coming from the prophet will be recorded as hyper draw, directly on the region. To view and edit these recorded events, use the Autodefine command (by default Command+y, if not look it up in your key commands menu).

You can also use track automation instead of hyper draw, but it requires you do some stuff in the environment window:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75831

As far as having effects on external MIDI tracks, you can't because those only deal with MIDI data.

You'll need to bring in the prpphet's audio signal into Logic via an audio interface (if you have one) or your computer's audio input jack, and create an audio track for this signal, or an aux channel. Alternatively you could use the external instrument plugin in a software instrument channel strip.

J.

Hi Jordito thanks for your reply. Regarding the automation recording, could you help with setting up my environment pls. Ive not changed it at all since the arrival of my Prophet 8, dont know if I should have. When I create a new external midi track and choose Scarlett 18i6 ( my soundcard) I can play and record midi from P8 fine, so far ive not changed the environment, should I have done something to the environment? Ive included a screen shot of my environment. I have read your attached link but it's over my head and really need step by step help. I have looked at the autodefine key command but it does nothing on my P8 midi channel and on a soft synth channel gives me velocity settings on the region. I would prefer to have the automation working on P8 as i'm familiar with it.

Kind regards Jay 1463260960_Screenshot2013-05-15at15_29_22.png.d478a8d4d9696f3b279a0edc6bec0f98.png

I have looked at the autodefine key command but it does nothing on my P8 midi channel and on a soft synth channel gives me velocity settings on the region.

You must first select the region. If you have not recorded any MIDI events besides notes, you won't see anything but the velocities.

This is how it looks like if you record some CC and then use the autodefine command:

1868514394_EMTHD.png.c08bbf6627f67e738238542f8af51306.png

I'll explain the automation procedure in a bit...

J.

Create a new transformer object in the environment, right there on the Click and Ports layer.

Double-click the transformer to open its window and set its mode to Track automation splitter (true -> top table).

Set its Status byte operation to = Control.

Assuming that what you want to record as track automation is the CC's sent by the prophet's knobs, and that this data is reaching Logic via the MIDI input on the Scarlett 18i6 (by the way, I don't see its port in the physical input object in your pic...?), patch a cable from the Scarlett's port in the Physical Input object to the transformer.

While holding down the Option key, click the transformer's output triangle. You'll get a menu that will let you navigate and connect to other objects in other layers in the environment. Use this menu to connect to the multi-instrument object in the "MIDI Instr" that outputs to the Prophet (the multi-instrument will have the name of the device's port you're using...the Scarlett).

If you want any other MIDI data the prophet may send (other than CC's) to reach Logic's sequencer input so that it can be recorded to the region, then patch a cable from the transformer's second output into the "Input Notes" keyboard, or directly to the Sequencer Input object...doesn't matter.

And that's it. If you now set the external MIDI track's automation mode to Touch or Latch (don't use Write!), press Play and wiggle a knob on the prophet, it will be written as track automation. Writing automation works in both Playback and Record mode....in case you're wondering.

:)

J.

data is reaching Logic via the MIDI input on the Scarlett 18i6 (by the way, I don't see its port in the physical input object in your pic...?)

First things first I guess i need to set up the newly purchased 18i6 correctly. How do I get it so the port is in the physical input object?

It seems to be working fine ,I have done nothing to the environment since purchasing P8 and 18i6 and am environmentaly challenged..

cheers Jay

(by the way, I don't see its port in the physical input object in your pic...?), patch a cable from the Scarlett's port in the Physical Input object to the transformer.

J, i'm fine up to this point but I dont know where the scarletts port in the Physical Input object is or even what it is.

Port 'no name' comes up as scarlett 18i6 in midi instr' settings. Have I created a transformer in the correct place?

1503425795_Screenshot2013-05-15at17_13_36.png.cf4c2a5f3f25e63625f1f68237ae5073.png

thanks

271892595_Screenshot2013-05-15at17_09_36.png.95fce8c01106c55c147dae9aa1cfa49b.png

yes it is, port no name is scarlett 18i6 when i click on it, should i re name this?

No, it is enough to know it is there. It means it is part of the SUM (as are all uncabled ports under SUM - as soon as you connect a port individually, it gets excluded from the SUM port)

Edited by Eriksimon

That's crazy, never seen that...it appears like a blank space in the physical input object. It should be the third port from the top:

[attachment=0]Screen shot 2013-05-15 at 17.09.36.png[/attachment]

J.

Strange indeed...

This might help the situation: Master MIDI Setup

@draculing

Please take a minute and add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#5)

Thanks!

Device is now online (turned off and on again) but still no ports..

The port appears in the physical input, even if it's just blank. Can you verify that MIDI data can como in through that port?

We're going a bit off-topic here...

J.

How can I verify that?

Jordito if this is going of topic and irrelevant to me recording automation from my P8 I'll not bother doing Erics master midi set up. I which case can I assume the blank space in the 3rd spot on my physical input is my scarlett 18i6? Or should I carry on with Erics set up?

Cheers

Great iv'e managed to record and playback automation changes, thanks for all your help guys..

1 more question, when I hold option and click on the transformer on the first triangle and choose midi instr / scarlett i'm then presented with 1 to 16 midi channels or all channels. It doesnt work when i choose all channels so ive only used channel 1. Does this mean I can only have 1 midi channel available to record automation data on? I know my Prophet only has 1 channel but wondered if could assign to any channel... Not really an issue as can now record and playback automation...

Many many thanks guys :lol:

Glad to hear you got it working!

1 more question, when I hold option and click on the transformer on the first triangle and choose midi instr / scarlett i'm then presented with 1 to 16 midi channels or all channels. It doesnt work when i choose all channels so ive only used channel 1. Does this mean I can only have 1 midi channel available to record automation data on? I know my Prophet only has 1 channel but wondered if could assign to any channel... Not really an issue as can now record and playback automation...

MultiMode: Off, On – MultiMode allows separate MIDI control of voices 1 through 4 and 5 through 8. The implementation is fairly simple and enables independent, bi-timbral control of the Prophet.

MultiMode is intended for use with an external sequencer or other MIDI controller controlling the Prophet ’08. It is meant to be a one-way interface (that is, from your sequencer to the Prophet).

When MultiMode is On, the Prophet ’08 responds to MIDI data on two consecutive MIDI channels, the base channel (selected in the Gobal menu) and the next highest channel. The base channel controls voices 1 through 4 and the other channel controls voices 5 through 8. Notes, program changes, and other MIDI data received on the specified channels provide independent control of the two parts.

J.

How do I save an environment? upon quitting and restarting logic it didnt save my environment changes. Have set up transformer again but how to save...? ta

Save the project as a template. You should keep in mind that the order of the ports in the physical input may change if you have several MIDI devices (depending on what establishes a connection with the system first), and if the order changes you will lose the connection you've made from port to transformer.

J.