el capitan (public beta) & logic X...

fisherking

Got an email from Arturia saying that they aren't yet compatible.

on 10.11.1 beta1...

not sure about their other apps, but spark 2 continues to work here, altho sluggish GUI when open...been like that since it (spark 2) first came out... :cry: btw, midi window opens here in AudioMidi...

Edited by fisherking

It seems like there are more core audio issues now than ever before during a new OSX launch. I don't get it.

which issues? outside of the NI insanity? just curious. everything is working here...

most audio interface companies are saying no go. I don't remember an upgrade where I didn't have at least some sound. And yes, Arturia, NI etc. Yes niggles and issues, but not working at all? maybe I have selective memory.

In addition to N.I. Steinberg says for Cubase, wait; Arturia says for its instruments, wait...EastWest says for Play instruments....wait. Finale says, wait..... Avid says, wait.....

You see a trend here?

The problem is that many of these (UAD included) will take months to sort this out. Apple could have made this easier on us audio guys.

In addition to N.I. Steinberg says for Cubase, wait; Arturia says for its instruments, wait...EastWest says for Play instruments....wait. Finale says, wait..... Avid says, wait.....

You see a trend here?

The problem is that many of these (UAD included) will take months to sort this out. Apple could have made this easier on us audio guys.

that's the whole point of developer accounts, giving companies the chance to test the waters in advance of a formal release. besides, there are always issues, even with .1, .2, .3 etc releases. i can't speak for steinberg, but NI usually drops the ball, then comes around...late. meanwhile, all my plugins & hardware are working (yes, knock on wood). and, like every version before el capitan, most things will get sorted out (until other things fall apart) :mrgreen:

then we'll be discussing 10.12... 8)

Exactly, they provide the developers a CHANCE to do it, not an OBLIGATION to do so. Most developers have limited resources and they cannot simply drop everything they are doing every time Apple or Microsoft starts with OS betas.

that makes no sense. the whole point of a developer preview is to be...a developer preview. if a company doesn't take advantage of that, then it's on that company, not apple, if there are issues (or to be fair, both companies should be working for resolution). limited resources? if you make an apple app, it' your job to keep up-to-date. that's how you keep your clients...

mcconelly, i don't see how disabling SIP would help with AU validation; that's not a system-level issue...

Well then I guess all of the developers I listed plus several I didn't have ALL been negligent or irresponsible. Thanks for setting me straight about that.

am not interested in fighting; seems you & i have been battling over things here lately. let's stop.

apple, microsoft...update their software. that's a simple fact of life. developers have a responsibility to be on top of that, that's their responsibility, to ensure that their apps work, when an OS is updated. i can certainly understand the ones who wait for an official release...like apple's. which is tomorrow btw.

it's to their benefit to run developer previews, test and fix things. then they don't have to scramble when an OS hits the street. makes sense?

It may or may not make sense for the reasons I have already outlined.

Developers have an obligation to make their stuff work with new OS in a reasonably timely fashion and if they don't they will lose customers. But before that, pre-release or even somewhat post-release, they have no ethical, moral, or responsible obligation in my view. The prevailing cultural ethos may be that people want what they want when they want it but that doesn't make that attitude admirable IMHO.

OK, I am done.

It may or may not make sense for the reasons I have already outlined.

Developers have an obligation to make their stuff work with new OS in a reasonably timely fashion and if they don't they will lose customers. But before that, pre-release or even somewhat post-release, they have no ethical, moral, or responsible obligation in my view. The prevailing cultural ethos may be that people want what they want when they want it but that doesn't make that attitude admirable IMHO.

OK, I am done.

they're called developer previews for a reason...to give developers lead time on fixes, troubleshooting. if a developer chooses not to take advantage of that, that's a shame. and if their customers suffer because of it, that's a great shame. i want my OS to work, my apps to work. don't see how that's a 'prevailing cultural ethos'...it's a reasonable need. so again, developer preview....

they're called developer previews for a reason...to give developers lead time on fixes, troubleshooting. if a developer chooses not to take advantage of that, that's a shame. and if their customers suffer because of it, that's a great shame. i want my OS to work, my apps to work. don't see how that's a 'prevailing cultural ethos'...it's a reasonable need. so again, developer preview....

Ultimately it's we as users that can decide which behaviour we like with our wallet.

It's almost always the same companies that have these issues with newer releases.

There are plenty of other manufacturers that have their software ready to ship on day 0.

not[/i] to take advantage of that, that's a shame. and if their customers suffer because of it, that's a great shame. ..

OK, I am sorry but I cannot let that pass without comment because that may be the single silliest comment I have ever seen on this forum. Nobody suffers from not immediately being able to use the latest OS pre-release or right after release. People suffer from poverty, disease, lost love, etc. not from being able to immediately use a new OS. The new OS will not change your life, make you more productive, help you write better music, make you more money. make people love you more, At best, it will make your workflow a teeny bit faster and even that remains to be proven.

IMHO your sense of perspective is really off.

OK, I am sorry but I cannot let that pass without comment because that may be the single silliest comment I have ever seen on this forum. Nobody suffers from not immediately being able to use the latest OS pre-release or right after release. People suffer from poverty, disease, lost love, etc. not from being able to immediately use a new OS. The new OS will not change your life, make you more productive, help you write better music, make you more money. make people love you more, At best, it will make your workflow a teeny bit faster and even that remains to be proven.

IMHO your sense of perspective is really off.

you're kidding right? i am certainly not comparing installing a new OS with poverty, etc. don't put words in my mouth. i am saying that, if ANY mac user chooses to update his OS, whenever he chooses to do so, his apps should work; that is called a reasonable expectation. and if a developer is not on top of these things, it's the developer who is to blame, not the enduser who updated his OS.

if some 'average' user updates his OS tomorrow (perhaps he's excited about new features), he should not 'suffer' a non-working app, because the developer opted to NOT be prepared.

i don't mind being criticized, but for what i say, not for what someone else decides i actually meant.

i think this thread has degenerated enough. stop trying to pick a fight, this isn't...poverty, disease, or lost love. it's tech nonsense, ultimately (and i enjoy the challenges new tech brings).

peace. 8)