Logic not recognising MIDI 'note on' for one specific note!

MonoPoly307
Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

Hi guys,

I would love any help anyone at all can offer on this weird puzzle I'm experiencing with LPX.

I am a seasoned Logic user and am pretty comfortable diagnosing MIDI issues in general, but this problem absolutely has me stumped... and is really frustrating!

Here's a quick summary...

- When recording or playing MIDI (for example, a software synth let's say), every note played from my main MIDI keyboard - a Nord Stage 2 - is playing fine in Logic, with the exception of F2, which does not play a note. When I look at the "MIDI in/out display" in the transport screen area, I notice that the F2 in question is only sending a note-off signal for that one particular key, not a note-on signal.

Here are some of the things I have ruled out in trying to solve the issue:

- To ensure it's not a problem with the actual F2 key on the Nord, I have tried one of my other MIDI synths (a Kurzweil PC3, in fact). Logic has no problem receiving the note-on and note-off signal for F2 when transmitted from the Kurzweil.

- To try to narrow it down to Logic only, I opened Pro Tools, which was able to receive the F2 MIDI note from my Nord without any problem. This seems to clear the Nord of having any fault.

- In case it was some weird incompatibility issue with the instrument plug-in I was using, I tried another instrument plug-in. F2 still doesn't receive the note-on signal for that one note! (Which makes sense, as it seems to be a global Logic MIDI-in issue, not an issue with MIDI data once it is received by Logic.)

- I also decided to open MainStage to see how that would respond to the Nord playing the F2 note... absolutely fine!

- Back in Logic, I also tried changing the Nord's MIDI-out channel from 1 to 2... and strangely, Logic did receive the F2 note just fine in this scenario! (However, I need to use the Nord on MIDI channel 1, as there are other synths in the room that are assigned to different MIDI channels... so this is not really a solution to the problem.)

In a nutshell, it appears that Logic (yet not MainStage or Pro Tools) doesn't like receiving the note-on MIDI signal for that one note, F2, when it is transmitted specifically from my Nord Stage over MIDI channel 1!

I would love it if anyone could suggest anything else I should test or examine in attempting to resolve this problem!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!

Cheers,

Mike

• Solution

Open the controller assignments window and go to the Expert View. Delete the assignment for that note.

Also, please click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.3)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.8.5)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

J.

Hi Jordi,

Thanks very much for your suggestion - I did exactly that, and it is now resolved! As you suspected, F2 on channel 1 of the Nord was set up as a key command!

I wonder if you would give me your thoughts on this post that I made on the forum a while ago?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99153&p=520120#p520120

I still haven't solved that one, and even the process you suggested above for the F2 issue doesn't seem to help.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Mike

• 7 years later...
I know this was asked a long time ago but I was just about to take my keyboard apart when I thought ....I'll just see if someone else has had this problem... and of course I had assigned a note to some control without realising it. Actually I do this fairly often and it always takes me a while for my dim mind to arrive at the solution. Today I got here via Google. So many thanks to Sequentialist for asking this question, and asking it in exactly the same way I put into Google so it came up first, and thank you Jordi for the answer, and thank you David and everyone for this amazing resource

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...