Migrating Logic x to a new Mac

molemac

What is the best way to migrate Logic X from an old mac to a new one . I dont want to use migration assistant because I want a clean install and I dont want to migrate all the applications ( not sure if you can select individual ones) but will the App store make me have to buy it again ?

Also on a general level , is it best to reinstall the apps individually ( like say Kontakt) and then just copy and paste the Audio /plugins components ) or is using migration assistant the best way to go ?

imac late 2009 macos 10.9 2 going to new MAc pro

I think you're allowed at least two separate downloads from the app store for one purchase.

I'm expecting my nMP to arrive tomorrow and will be installing Logic X on it too. I currently have it on my laptop only as my oMP doesn't support Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

I used CCC to move everything from my old spinning HD to a new SSD last summer. Everything pretty much works without any issues whatsoever, except Logic still occasionally likes the old drive (which is still present in the system) better than the new one and defaults to it when saving or browsing for files in All Files.

Thanks , I decided the+ 10000 was the best advice for my shiny new dustbin and reinstalled everything . Took me a day but now all is clean. I had been using ccs and super duper and using the same master drive for 10 years , without issues but seemed like a good time to start a fresh . Besides it is now easy to reinstall all Kintakt as long as you have the samples easily copied then Native inst has all your serial numbers online .

I'm now installing all my software onto my new Mac Pro too.

I'd like to ask if anyone knows how I can install Logic 9 as well as X which I already have. Some people I work with still want to use 9 and I believe that a project saved in X can't be opened in 9.

I have the DVDs and am waiting for a samsung external drive to arrive but.....when I installed 9 on my laptop a few years ago it made me install 8 first and the whole thing took hours.

Can I do it a quicker way?

when I installed 9 on my laptop a few years ago it made me install 8 first and the whole thing took hours.

You don't need to install Logic 8. If you upgraded from 8 to 9 you may need to enter Logic 8's serial number first and then Logic 9's (can't remember the exact details but you definitely don't need to install Logic 8). I was in the same boat with my new Mac mini recently. Didn't have to install 8.

J.

What about Carbon Cloner or other such programs… I've had pretty good luck with them.

d

I've used CCC a few times. It's worked fine a few times, and presented some issues a few times (if I remember correctly the issue was with 3rd party plug-ins that were dependent on a machine ID# and therefore no longer worked on the new CCC'ed drive).

In the end I've found that reinstalling everything from scratch (time permitting) is the only sure shot that'll guarantee zero issues down the line.