Logic's Default is Middle C as C3! SOLVED

jster

For both MIDI tracks and audio tracks, the Logic Channel EQ is off by an octave. For a low C on an electric bass, C2, I am getting a frequency around 130, which would be C3. I even put in the sine wave that is the ESX24 default to verify. At first I thought I must have a hidden transpose in effect on a MIDI track, but it seems like it is that way on all the tracks! Any ideas? Thanks!

UPDATE: Maybe the audio is OK, but when I play sine waves at C4, logic tells me it is receiving C4, it sounds like C4, but then when I record and pull it up on the EQ, it is over 500 Hz!

UPDATE: No, OK, it is C5 that I'm hearing. But why is C4 in the piano roll? And why does logic say it is C4? I'm pretty sure it is C4 on my controller.

UPDATE: Opened a new project. Audio seems OK. C4 comes out to C4. But MIDI C4 sounds C5 despite being C4 in the piano roll, on my controller and in the transport display. ??? (EXS24 transpose is 0) (When I click C4 in piano roll, EQ is over 500Hz!!) (Same thing with a totally new Logic project!!) (C4 in Click and Ports!!)

I have no real idea what is going on. Only thing I can think of is I put my Finale on this machine recently. I don't use it with Logic, but have it on at the same time. Maybe it is somehow interfering with the MIDI between Logic's piano roll and the output?

UPDATE: WHAT IS C4 in Hz for Logic?!?!?!?! 263? Or something else?!?!??!?!

SOLVED See Title.

Edited by jster

Logic and my drum sampler use the C3 convention while the rest of the world uses C4. Logic at least lets you change things under Preferences>Display. Yamaha was the company that originally screwed up MIDI and made it different from the standard middle C = C4 convention that 90+% of musicians use.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for this post you guys! I was seriously thinking the last 20 years of musical training went straight out the window. I couldn't understand why when I was hitting "middle C" it was showing C3 in window below, when I knew damn well it wasn't.

I went into preferences/Display and fixed it!

I am happy now!

Geoff Barone

www.geoffbarone.com