A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

Studio162A
Topic Author

Bounce mono track yields stereo track-? [SOLVED]

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:01 pm

I have a mono vocal track. I have the i/o insert on the track leading to an outboard compressor. It all works fine. When I bounce, though, I have a stereo waveform. I import the new file back onto the mono vocal track and it pans as I would expect from a mono track. In other words, it sounds fine. My amateur-level question: Does it matter that bouncing my mono track and mono compressor through the Stereo Output results in a stereo track?

Jim
Logic Pro 10.4.8, iMac eight core i9, RME Fireface UC, OS 10.15.4

Eric Cardenas

Re: Bounce mono track yields stereo track--does it matter?

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:58 pm

It really does not matter much.
One thing is that the file will be double the size.

You can bounce to mono by changing the output to mono > Output 1 on the track and then clicking on the format button on the Stereo Output.
You can now click on the little bounce button on Output 1.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound
Mac mini 2.6 GHz 16GB RAM Areca⚡RAID | MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz 16GB RAM | Os 10.14.5
Logic Pro 10.4.5 | RME Fireface UFX | Adam A7 + Sub8 | Spectrasonics | Softube

Studio162A
Topic Author

Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks for the reply, Eric. When I do as you suggest, however, bouncing to Output 1 yields a file panned far left, and bouncing to Output 2 does the opposite. Is this expected behavior?

Jim

Eric Cardenas

Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:07 pm

You have to make sure that you click on the little bounce button on Output 1 and not the Stereo Output 1-2.

Another option is to create a new mono audio track and set it's input to an unused bus.
Now route the output of the track that you wanted to bounce to the same bus.
Select the new mono audio track and press record.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound
Mac mini 2.6 GHz 16GB RAM Areca⚡RAID | MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz 16GB RAM | Os 10.14.5

Studio162A
Topic Author

Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks again for the reply, Eric.

I had split the Stereo Output into 1 & 2 and bounced only from the single channel strip, but the resulting file was still panned far left or right.

To go back to your initial reply, you said "It does not really matter much" whether the resulting bounce comes out as stereo or mono. I'm inclined to agree as the resulting file pans as I would expect from a mono file. If that's the case then maybe I'll just keep the bounces I get out of the Stereo Output and call it a day.

Jim

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:39 pm

Studio162A wrote:
I had split the Stereo Output into 1 & 2 and bounced only from the single channel strip, but the resulting file was still panned far left or right.

If the file itself is panned, that means you're still bouncing a stereo file. To bounce a mono file, make sure you click the Bnce (or Bnc) button at the bottom of a mono output. The title bar of the Bounce dialog should say "Bounce Output 1" (OR "Bounce Output 2").
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.5 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.5.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 10.15.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM

Studio162A
Topic Author

Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:44 pm

Man--you guys are quick!

OK--preparing dinner. I'll check it out this evening or tomorrow morning and report back.

Thanks so much,

Jim

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:20 pm

You're welcome! One more thing:

Studio162A wrote:
To go back to your initial reply, you said "It does not really matter much" whether the resulting bounce comes out as stereo or mono. I'm inclined to agree as the resulting file pans as I would expect from a mono file.

You shouldn't expect a mono file to be panned unless you pan it voluntarily in your mixer upon playback: a mono file yields a single audio signal, so if you place it on a mono track with the pan knob set to center, you'll send that single audio signal to both speakers in equal amounts, and the sound will be perceived as coming from the center of the stereo field.

So by default a mono file is always going to come out from the center.

On the other hand, by default, a stereo file may already be panned since it will yield two audio signals, one for the left speaker and the other for the right speaker, and those signals may be different (and/or have different levels).
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.5.1

Studio162A
Topic Author

Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:51 pm

I use an RME interface and this turned out to be a TotalMix issue. Specifically, I had to make the input and output channels which connected the outboard compressor into mono channels and I then had to select the "Mono" button on the main output channel. At this point I was able to bounce a mono file.

I have no doubt that TotalMix is a remarkably powerful software mixer, but I have the most difficult time accomplishing what seem to be simple goals. No doubt that's an indication of my limitations, and not those of TotalMix.

No matter, and thanks to both Eric and David.

Jim

Eric Cardenas

Re: Bounce mono track yields stereo track-? [SOLVED]

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:23 pm

You're welcome Jim.

For what it's worth, Logic Pro's bounce is internal and should not involve the Main output of your interface unless you have routed something from it back to Logic.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:00 am

Eric Cardenas wrote:
Logic Pro's bounce is internal and should not involve the Main output of your interface unless you have routed something from it back to Logic.

+1. TotalMix has nothing to do with the format of your bounced files in Logic.
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.5.1

CCTMusic

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:06 am

Hi

Even with a Realtime bounce (which you'd need if you were bouncing using an I/O plug to an external compressor)?

CCT
MacPro 2x2.26 Quad 28Gb OSX 10.12.6 Pro 9.1.8/ LPX 10.4.4
MacBook Pro Quad 2.6 16Gb OSX.10.13.6 , LPX 10.4.4

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:45 am

CCTMusic wrote:
Even with a Realtime bounce (which you'd need if you were bouncing using an I/O plug to an external compressor)?

Yes, bouncing a single output produces a mono file, wether bouncing in realtime or offline.
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.5.1

CCTMusic

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Hi

David Nahmani wrote:
CCTMusic wrote:

Yes, bouncing a single output produces a mono file, wether bouncing in realtime or offline.

My apologies...

my comment was in relation to this:

Eric Cardenas wrote:

For what it's worth, Logic Pro's bounce is internal .

CCT
MacPro 2x2.26 Quad 28Gb OSX 10.12.6 Pro 9.1.8/ LPX 10.4.4
MacBook Pro Quad 2.6 16Gb OSX.10.13.6 , LPX 10.4.4

Eric Cardenas

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:49 pm

The bounce (summing) is still internal.
You can route things in and out of your interface but your interface will never be able to change how the bounce is done.
The OP wrote:

Studio162A wrote:
I then had to select the "Mono" button on the main output channel. At this point I was able to bounce a mono file.

How the output in TotalMix is set has nothing to do with Logic Pro's output bounce.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound

Studio162A
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:45 am

Re: bounces being entirely within Logic

I have no doubt that Eric & David are correct on this point. I can, however, add a couple points re: what I've learned about bouncing with regard to Logic and RME's TotalMix. My original goal was to bounce a mono file through an outboard compressor (using the i/o plugin) to a mono file. When I bounced the mono file through Stereo Output 1-2, however, I was greeted with a resulting stereo file. And so...

1. I was advised to split the Output 1-2 into two mono Output channel strips and change the track's output to Channel 1. I did so and this yielded the mono file I was after. However, during the realtime bounce the track played only out of the left speaker. Yet in the Logic mixer all the active channel strips were mono. What I finally figured out was that the TotalMix Output 1-2 channel was showing output only on the left half, and unlike Logic that channel strip cannot be split. When I hit the "Mono" button next to this strip in TotalMix the sound played in mono. None of this mattered to the bounced file in the end: It was mono and sounded as it should. It was baffling, though, to be bouncing what had been a centered sound coming out of only one speaker.

2. For a time I thought that the bounced file, too, was playing only out of the left. I dragged the new file onto the existing track and...LEFT ONLY! But then I realized that while I had turned Logic's Stereo Output back into a stereo channel, the track's channel was still set to output only on channel 1. When I changed it to Stereo Output all was well. Which proves, in the end, that I know far less about all of this than I would like.

Jim

Eric Cardenas

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:39 am

Thanks for clarifying Jim.
Your explanation makes perfect sense.
It's exactly as you described.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound

Studio162A
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:10 am

Hey thanks for that, Eric. For once I don't feel like a complete imbecile when it comes to Logic/TotalMix.

Jim

2onc

monitor signal While in MONO?

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:33 am

Eric Cardenas wrote:
You have to make sure that you click on the little bounce button on Output 1 and not the Stereo Output 1-2.

Another option is to create a new mono audio track and set it's input to an unused bus.
Now route the output of the track that you wanted to bounce to the same bus.
Select the new mono audio track and press record.

Bouncing to disk works, it produces a mono file and when played-back(outside of LogicPro) the signal is in both L and R, Great!! but, how about Monitoring while in this mono setup? because the signal is only present in either L or R but not both. I understand i can revert the MASTER OUTPUT back to STEREO but i have plugins on the MASTER and they behave/produce a different sound while in Stereo VS Mono.

Eric Cardenas

Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:50 am

If you explain to me what your end goal is I'll be able to assist you with this.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound