MainStage with Fishman Triple Play

jamsden

I'm configuring some songs using a Fishman Triple Play guitar MIDI contorller into MainStage. I usually use MainStage primariliy for guitar, using S-Gear with some before-the-amp effects and a looper. But I'm thinking a Triple Play might be an interesting change.

There's a switch on the Triple Play for Guitar, Mix, Synth. The switch sends MIDI CC 63 on channel 8 with a value of:

1 Guitar

3 Mix

2 Synth

What I'd like to do is configure a MIDI control in MainStage to control the applciable track Mute so that when a CC 63 with a value of 1 is received on channel 8, the synth channel is muted. When a value of 3 is received, the synth and guitar track are both unmuted. When a 1 is recieved, the synth track is muted.

I thought I could do this with a button and scaling the input to control the values that toggle the channel Mute, but I can't seem to get it to work. Does anyone know how to do something like this?

I found a solution. This switch on the TP controller sends CC 63 on channel 8 with a value of (using bits 0 and 1):

1 - Guitar - Mute Synth track

3 - Mix - unmute synth and guitar track

2 - Synth - mute guitar track

Mute is a binary control and doesn’t allow setting numbers. To configure the TP controller switch, it is necessary to scale the controller value to get access to the first two bits, value 0 and 1.

1. Edit the concert layout and add two MIDI Activity controls, one for TP Guitar and another for the TP Control Fishman TriplePlay devices. This allows instrument channels to refer to these MIDI devices.

2. Edit the concert layout and add a very small knob control called “Guitar-Synth". This provides a control that can be mapped to the Guitar and Synth channel Mute buttons. This needs to be a knob because it has three states (using 2 bits).

3. Set the Guitar-Synth knob to TP Control, Channel 8, Absolute, CC 63, Do not pass through. This picks up just the guitar/mix/synth switch on the TP controller.

4. In a song, map channel strip Guitar > Mute to the Guitar-Synth control, where Guitar is an audio channel in the song containing (in my case) S-Gear for electric guitar tones.

5. Scale the parameter and keep adding scale steps until you can select 0 ---, 1 Muted (all others —)

6. Add another mapping to the same Guitar-Synth knob control and map instrument channel Synth > Mute to 0 Muted, 1 — (all others —), where Synth is an instrument track in the same song for synth tones.

This works because the Guitar is muted on 01 and the Synth is muted on 10. Both are un-muted on 11 or any other value. Note the values are reversed from the switch because the channel is being muted, not enabled. It treats each bit in the value as on or off corresponding to the Mute button on the channel which is binary. Multiple mute buttons are effectively packed into the first two bits of the CC 63 value.