Plugins resetting back to default presets

ryanenzed

Hey guys

When I first updated to 10.1, Im pretty sure this problem was not happening.

But now, when i re-open a logic project, there are several (legit) plugins that have changed presets/settings on me!!

Most of the time the plugins have gone back to their default setting and its SO ANNOYING!!!!

Yes, I do have a legit logic and im talking about this problem happening to legit plugins.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm having exactly the same problem with 10.2.2. I'm almost certain it's not plugin in related as it seems to be completely random i.e different plugins/manufacturers etc every time. It's even wiped automation. It seems to be related to the core audio reinitialising, that's when it happens. As soon as you notice one plugin has defaulted, you have to check the entire session and usually find more. It's a nightmare. If anyone has any kind of solution it would be accepted joyously!! ;)

It's just about the worst bug imaginable and I can't find a fix. I literally must have lost weeks chasing my tail when this happens and I'm up against the clock with mixes for clients. It's not good enough from Apple and I'm looking at alternative DAWs

Have you guys noticed there is a problem with using Undo?

I'm on a deadline right now (using 10.2.1) and can't investigate fully but this might be part of the problem.

I have slowly noticed that when this happens to Instrument or FX Plugins, it often happens after a certain 'Undo' step.

Specifically one that undoes a step where I had reordered any channel's Audio FX.

(This resetting also happens to my parameter changes resetting to patch defaults.)

Not a fix, but I have begun keeping my Undo History window open and watching out for crossing over an undo step called "Change Plugin in Channel Strip" where I might have performed an FX reordering.

I just did a quick test and it is quite repeatable here with an "FX reordering undo" affecting adjacent channels. This results in a hidden resetting of my recent parameter changes, even with Logic's own Instrument and FX Plugins.

Beware undoing after reordering an FX stack.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Exactly same here. Resets Plugins randomly, mostly after i "duplicate track" or copying plugins to another channel and then hit undo. This goes for logic Plugins as well as third party. Happens under 10.2.0. then i updated to 10.2.2, same...been using this programm for 15 years on a professional base, now it becomes absolutely useless. Hope apple fixes it, otherwise I'll switch to another DAW.

Hope apple fixes it, otherwise I'll switch to another DAW.

Why do you assume it's an issue that Apple must fix? In my case, I can't reproduce that "bug". Duplicating works flawlessly here, no matter what kind of plugin is copied. Doesn't happen on Mavericks, nor El Capitan. Never happened in any Logic version I used.

From my point of view, I'd say someone else has to fix your issues :wink:

Try to note all the steps in detail, what you do (click what, enter what, etc.) and how and when that happens. Then do the exact same steps again. The bug should be reproduced. Then change one step, do something else, etc. until you can find where the issue is created.

This issue does happen with select plugins; I use Synapse's Dune 2, and it's a known issue and believe the plugin has too caused some issues with Cubase & S1, more to do with Multithreading / hyper-threading (gotta love ASIO Guard.)

A Beta Tester,Cytospur, had this to say: "I think the possible problem is that whilst MIDI learning something a stray 'system reset' or program change has sneaked in and has been learnt by DUNE. I've had similar things happen when I press stop twice in the transport bar of my DAW (equivalent to all notes off in MIDI parlance). It took me a while to work out why at first my reverb wet/dry amount was being set to zero. Then it was release amount being set to zero and most lately cutoff being set to zero. I've heard of other people having similar problems. Each time this behaviour happened/changed I'd been setting up a MIDI controller to control DUNE2. I reported the all notes off/MIDI learn thing already and hopefully that will be fixed in a future update."

Exactly same here. Resets Plugins randomly, mostly after i "duplicate track" or copying plugins to another channel and then hit undo. This goes for logic Plugins as well as third party. Happens under 10.2.0. then i updated to 10.2.2, same...been using this programm for 15 years on a professional base, now it becomes absolutely useless. Hope apple fixes it, otherwise I'll switch to another DAW.

You joined this board 18 May 2016 -- two days ago -- in order to make such flippant remarks, citing your tenure with Logic Pro? I'm sorry, but this comes off as one of the most egregious examples of foul play I've seen on a board.

Perhaps a moderator could look into this?

Logic’s been acting real weird for me too since 10.2.1, Can’t say for sure if it’s Logic or a computer/permissions/drive/OS incompatibility issue…but it definitely started in 2.1 for me. The issues occur randomly so I haven’t been able to reproduce them.

1. Saving new songs for the first time (’New’, work for a bit, ’save as’) can mess up presets/sounds within instruments:

After save, two different Kontakt instruments loaded up with two different Albion patches suddenly contained nothing but an empty Kontakt, the way it looks before you load a patch.

In a song containing two instances of Ultrabeat, one with an all snare preset and one with all hihats preset - after save, both Ultrabeats were loaded up with the hihat preset.

Weirdness started in 2.1, and has happened in 2.2 as well.

2. Performing ’copy channel strip settings between two open Logic songs is suddenly unreliable:

I have an instrument channel containing a synth (third party or Logic’s own) , a compressor and some EQs and try to copy the entire channel strip and paste onto an empty instrument in an other open LPX song - the compressor and EQ settings will be correct but the patch/preset in the synth has changed back to the default sound. I used to do this all the time but now I need to use ’save channel strip setting as…’ to get around it.

I would love to know what’s causing this, I’ve started to anxiously use ’save channel strip setting as…’ on every instument track before I save new songs just in case…

• 5 weeks later...
Random plugin reset is 100 % reproducable, even in an empty project. If I insert any plugins (doesnt matter if its a logic stock Plugin or 3rd party), then hit "duplicate track" button a few times, then hit undo, it resets some of the Plugins settings. Imagine that in a full session. Haven't found any workarounds yet other than avoid "undo". If you google you'll see that i'm not the only one experiencing this problem. Any ideas?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is still an issue for me. Very frustrating but good to know others are experiencing this.

It also happens sometimes in Ableton but mostly in LPX... even on the latest version 10.2.4.

I've emailed NI support as it only seems to happen with their plugins.

One of the most frustrating things in my production process. Really, really annoying.

• 3 months later...
Bumping this as I'm still having this problem in Logic 10.3!! I can't work out the pattern as to what's causing it. It's usually after a save or core audio reset. If it happens to one plugin, it'll happen to at least 2-5/6. I've seen it happen to stock logic plugins, Slate, UAD, Fab filter.. It looks like there is no main offender to be honest, which points at a possible Logic gitch. This is making me start to look for the possibility of another DAW as it's becoming unworkable. If this happens during a client's mixing session, I can be chasing my tail for 30/40 minutes sorting it out, which just won't do.

Yep. It still happens to me.

'Sometimes' you can save it by going in to be plugin and clicking on 'compare' which restores the previous settings within the plugin but most the time this doesn't work.

It's one of the most worrying and frustrating bugs with LPX. Ive send them feedback so many times about it and spoken to native instruments who say it's not their issue.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I've had this same issue for years. Today I made a new Alternative and some of my Wave plugins had reverted to their defaults. A Guitar Stomp, which originally had a phaser, was now blank, and some SSL G channels were reset. It doesn't happen all the time, or, at least I don't seem to catch it all the time. Super disconcerting. Running L 10. 3.2 on El Capitan.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
this happens with channel eq too. I'm currently having huge issues with save at the moment. I've tried everything, and don't want to argue with people who don't use logic as heavy as I do. If someone thats very knowledgeable about logic can PM me that would be great. I've been using logic since 7. these problems are insane. I haven't changed anything. I just started noticing it as my session sount increases. My cPU is not all the way at the end

• 1 year later...

This is still happening. Levels are changed, plugins are reset to default, such as "Pedalboard" becoming empty, Gain control set to relative 0, UAD SVT bass amp plugin all knobs to 12 o'clock.

This is an absolute disaster to my almost-finished mixes and has happened twice in the last week on different sessions.

Does anyone know what can cause this and if there is any solution? Does making multiple back up saves work, or do all related sessions get demolished?

MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave.

Upgrade to Big Sur OS is now available. Frankly I'm terrified.

• 8 months later...
I just had this on Logic 10.5.1 (Mojave) with Softube Console1 plugins. Every plugin instance reset after Logic crashed (cased by tab to transient on one particuilar track - reproducabe). Even more strange was that when I used Revert to... I could not find any backup where the settings where intact so 2 hours work gone... :-(