MIDI Song Select

quietstorm

I'm struggling to send a 2-byte Song Select (midi system common) message to a hardware drum machine.

I've tried to use Meta message #50 and #47 (two, one for each byte in the midi message) and I can't get it to work. I know the drum machine is set correctly because I can do a manual MIDI hex message via another program and it selects the song in the machine.

Do these meta commands actually work? Do I have to set the 'channel' parameter to something different than the MIDI track channel?

Hi,

I tried Meta 47 for constructing a 2-byte System Common Song Select message. No luck whatsoever.

However, you could always use Midipipe if you don't manage to figure it out. It has a Message Factory tool that allows you to contruct any kind of MIDI message and trigger it with another. So you could for example send it CC's to trigger your Song Selects.

J.

I tried both as well sending an 0xF3 followed by a number ( 2 bytes with the 47) in sequence - 2 separate meta events. I checked logic's output and nothing.

I added a program change, a note and a meta event 50 - again saw the first two (PC and note events) in the monitor but did not see the meta 50 send anything.

So either we all are doing the same thing wrong or it just doesn't work. I tried it in both 10.1.1 and 9.1.8

According to the manual, Meta Events generated by fader objects don't correspond to anything MIDI and don't get sent to the MIDI output. Perhaps somewhere along the line they got disconnected from Logic's MIDI out in the Event List as well? The bytes generated by Meta #47 do show up in an Environment monitor, but I don't know if they're actually making it to the MIDI ports.

The bytes generated by Meta #47 do show up in an Environment monitor, but I don't know if they're actually making it to the MIDI ports.

They show up as Meta events in Logic's monitor object. I guess they're supposed to turn into MIDI on their way out but that isn't happening.

You should check out Midipipe as it will definitely solve this for you.

J.