VCA oddity

Studio162A

Hey there

Are VCAs not intended to work with Aux tracks? I've been having a terrible time assigning tracks to VCA faders, but only if I include Auxes. Audio channel strips--no problem. Let me describe the simplest example from an empty project (not a template):

I create 2 audio channels and 2 Auxes

Assign Audio 1 to a new VCA fader = VCA 1 (no problem)

Assign Aux 1 to a new VCA fader = VCA 2 (no problem)

Assign Audio 2 to a new VCA fader = VCA 2 (problem!)

Assign Aux 3 to a new VCA fader = VCA 3 (no problem)

Assign Audio 3 to a new VCA fader = VCA 3 (problem!)

If, on the other hand, I create 10 Audio tracks and assign each to a new VCA fader it all works as expected.

Can someone fill me in on what I obviously don't understand?

Jim

That's the problem, Eric--I cannot.

1. I assign Aux 1 to a new VCA, which creates VCA 1

2. I go to the the VCA window in Audio 1 and have 2 options = VCA 1 or "Create new VCA fader." I choose to create a new fader but the window shows VCA 1 and in the mixer a new VCA fader is not created.

I managed to replicate your issue.

It must be a bug. It's basically working like this:

Assigning an Aux to a VCA is invisible to every channel since it's not in your Tracks area.

So when you try to create a new VCA from an audio channel (or any channel) it uses the first unused VCA and since the first one is invisible, it chooses VCA 1 again.

The workaround is either to add the Aux to the Tracks area or to make sure that you always have your VCAs assigned at the 1st level, on Audio or Software Instruments.

Hope this helps.

After toying with it more I have found that once I assign an Aux track to a VCA I am unable to create any more VCA faders. Even this simple example doesn't work as I expect it to:

I have 2 tracks--one audio and one aux. I choose "New VCA fader" in the aux's window and VCA 1 is created. In Audio 1 I can choose VCA 1 or "New VCA fader." If I choose the "New" option no fader is created. Even if I go to the "Options" drop-down menu in the mixer and choose "Create New VCA fader" nothing happens.

This strange behavior only happens after I assign a VCA fader to an aux track. If all I assign are audio and/or instrument tracks I have no problems.

Jim

I have 2 tracks--one audio and one aux. I choose "New VCA fader" in the aux's window and VCA 1 is created. In Audio 1 I can choose VCA 1 or "New VCA fader." If I choose the "New" option no fader is created. Even if I go to the "Options" drop-down menu in the mixer and choose "Create New VCA fader" nothing happens.

I can recreate this behavior.

• 1 year later...

Hello there,

I am having the same issue with creating VCA faders. I can only create VCA 1 and when I try to create VCA 2 nothing happen.

I have tried to create a track for my aux but this didn't help.

I hope you can help ! Thank you