Unable to get MMC to work

a-stream

I am unable to get MMC to work between Logic Pro X and Pro Tools using the IAC driver on the same computer. MTC works perfectly in both directions (Logic as slave or Pro Tools as slave). MMC commands are not being sent through the driver for some reason.

When I connect through a regular physical midi cable from midi out to midi in on my Fireface UCX Interface both MTC and MMC works. I can sync Logic to PT (and vice versa) as expected.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

• 3 weeks later...

After a lot of troubleshooting I decided not to use the IAC driver. It seems to have a limitation that doesn't allow MMC messages to pass through for some reason. I've seen other people report the issue on other forums.

I'm now using a program called MidiPipe instead--works perfectly. If anyone is have this problem with the IAC driver I recommend trying it: http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html

Thanks for reporting that. Would you mind sharing how you have set up your IAC connection and between which programs you are able to pass MMC?

Maybe the issue is specific to my system. I am unable to pass MMC commands through Plogue Bidule as well. But several other applications on my setup can do it fine such as MidiPipe and Bome's translator. I'm curious about what could be causing the issue.

Hi,

I do most of my in-the-box MIDI stuff with Max. Max has its own virtual MIDI ports but I tested sending MMC commands from Max to Logic via IAC and Logic responded just fine. There really isn't much to set with IAC, I just choose it as the MIDI output port from Max and the messages arrive in Logic.

Maybe the issue is specific to my system. I am unable to pass MMC commands through Plogue Bidule as well.

Maybe. But what do you mean by "passing MMC commands through Plogue Bidule"? Where are the messages coming from?

I have Plogue Bidule so I could test here also if you tell what you're doing.

J.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe. But what do you mean by "passing MMC commands through Plogue Bidule"? Where are the messages coming from?

Sorry for the slow reply! I didn't see your answer until today.

I am trying to send MMC messages from Logic X to Pro Tools 10/11 HD. Physical MIDI cable works, MidiPipe and Bome's MIDI translator works as well, but the IAC driver and Plogue Bidule doesn't.

I'm using Plogue Bidule, stand alone version. Easiest way to test it is to open one virtual midi input in Bidule and connect it to Bidule's midi monitor. Select the same virtual input in Logic under Synchronization/MIDI and enable MTC and MMC. Bidule shows MTC data activity but no MMC.

Sending MMC commands will pass to one of my hardware devices ( Presonus ), MMC not working through any IAC busses at all !. However, it is not working for Novation Impulse either (strange). I even added a device in the audio midi setup and wired it to the Impulse port (virtual) and checked the MMC checkbox - but still nothing. Sorry - not an MMC expert - confirming though what you are seeing.

• 2 years later...
After a lot of troubleshooting I decided not to use the IAC driver. It seems to have a limitation that doesn't allow MMC messages to pass through for some reason. I've seen other people report the issue on other forums.

I'm now using a program called MidiPipe instead--works perfectly. If anyone is have this problem with the IAC driver I recommend trying it: http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html

Hey a-stream, may you describe how did you make this midi pipe configuration? I've managed to send MMC from logic to pro tools easily with the physical sound card midi IN/OUt. I just made the connection and turned MMC on and that is it. But with the Midi Pipe is not that easy.

Thanks!

What is the specific issue you are having? The principle is the same as with a physical cable. All that is needed is to add a virtual midi input and output to the pipe section on the right side in Midipipe to create a loopback. The input and output will show up in Logic/PT after that and you’ll be able to use it to send/receive MMC.