Logic 9 and El Capitan

fusbur

I don't think so.

Logic Pro 9 is not supported anymore. There is always a possibility that they change something and coincidentally it might fix something, but I think the chance of this happening is very minimal. On the other hand Apple could change something that breaks Logic Pro 9 severely so my advice is to either upgrade to Logic Pro X or to stay with LP9 and older versions of the OS.

Thanks Eric, those are my options.

I'm quite surprised more people haven't complained about LP9 being phased out. No problem with upgrading to LPX but the disruption in workflow whilst I relearn Logic is irritating. I'll run both for the time being with Yosemite until I'm fully conversant with X.

Many thanks

Sam

I'm quite surprised more people haven't complained about LP9 being phased out.

9 shipped in 2009 and 9.1 in 2010. X came out in 2013 and all updates since then have been free. That's actually an incredibly long time between paid upgrades. When 9.1 was released, OS X was still on 10.6. Five newer versions of the OS have shipped since then. If someone really wants to stay with Logic 9 I don't think it's such a hardship to stay with OS X 10.10 or earlier. They can't go out of their way to support old software forever.

The income earned from Logic is incredibly small to the profits from their other products.. I believe they will focus mostly on their I watches, I phones, I pads, laptops, I mac. Of their software, Logic is probably at the bottom of their list..

Protools, (which I don't own anymore).. always is slow to upgrade, exactly because of the new 'OSX' bug issue. If your current system is working.. stick with it.. If there is is something in "El Capitan" you HAVE to have, then upgrade to Logic X.. But the bug list right now..for me is reason enough not to upgrade for quite a while..

The income earned from Logic is incredibly small to the profits from their other products.. I believe they will focus mostly on their I watches, I phones, I pads, laptops, I mac. Of their software, Logic is probably at the bottom of their list..

Protools, (which I don't own anymore).. always is slow to upgrade, exactly because of the new 'OSX' bug issue. If your current system is working.. stick with it.. If there is is something in "El Capitan" you HAVE to have, then upgrade to Logic X.. But the bug list right now..for me is reason enough not to upgrade for quite a while..

I agree in part and dissent in part. LOL

My decision to use Logic, necessitated my purchase of a MBP, other Apple software and unfortunately, several incarnations of their various and too frequently changed adapters to project to external monitors or adapt the now defunct thunderbolt to firewire, etc. And, when 64 bit was introduced, I upgraded the MBP. Same with the iPad to a great extent. So, I think Logic is responsible for a much greater piece of the Apple continuum 'pie' than you think. For as long as I am tied to Logic, I'm basically telling Apple that i will keep buying Macs...

PT was a hassle and I was too much of a novice with DAW's to discipline myself to not update the OS every time a new cat appeared on the horizon. Thank God PT was only a stop gap. Being a closed platform at the time, I did most work in Logic and used PT for some specialized software offerings. Anyway, I suffered a lot of downtime waiting for them to update their hardware drivers. Software wasn't as much of an issue. By contrast, I purchased a Yamaha Motif XS8 in ~ 2006 and have never experienced an issue with OS updates since, well... Lion

I have not tested it thoroughly at all since I've phased LP9 out of my work, but I can tell you that it does launch and play however I've encountered many huge graphical glitches and some instability issues.

I get graphical glitch on LP9 both in Mavericks and Yosemite...

I didn't word that properly ... sorry.

I meant will there be an update to El Capitan to allow use of LP 9 or am I going to get screwed for another £150 for LP X?

I think Logic X was worth the money :) especially if you look at the fact that in 10.2, they added the Alchemy synth, which is $249 on it's own if you want to use it in another DAW. :D

• 4 months later...

Nice. Well i've backed up my iMac with Time Machine and i'm downloading El capitan form the App Store. Just hoping it doesn't cause any problems with the plugins I have. Lots of Native Instruments, Arturia, Roland, etc.

Will updated LPX to the latest so it's ready for when im ready to jump onto it.

Sticking with LP9 now for now tho. Great to hear it works nicely.

I've got an 21" iMac, late 2013, 8GB RAM, 1TB HD.

• 2 months later...

Any updates on whether Logic 9 is still running well for latest OSX? I updated briefly to El Capitan ~8-9 months ago, but reverted back to OS 10.8 because LP9 GUI was laggy and buggy.

I've had a few programs not run because I'm not running the latest OS, but updating's not worth it for me if Logic 9 will be buggy. Decisions... (and developers should still support 10.8 -.-)

(There's no way I'll be moving to LP10)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey folks... I replaced my hard drive with an ssd and installed 10.11.6. as new. I did not incrementally upgrade to that version. Running an early 2008 24" iMac. I encountered a problem when reinstalled my LP9 software. Starting at version 9.0 I would get an error that it was incompatible. So I downloaded each update 9.0.1... 9.0.2... etc and did them each individually checking to see if the software would start after every upgrade. When I got it to 9.1.3 the circle and slash disappeared on the app icon and it loaded up as 32 bit. I did not reboot once during this process.

Maybe there is someone out there experiencing the same issue. Does anyone know if going beyond 9.1.3 will break it?