How do you Reverse MIDI notes? [SOLVED]

303creative

Hi all

I want to play 4 bars of simple piano chords and then take the 4 bars and reverse them.

I can't seem to do it with MIDI transform. The resultant notes are a real mess!

Since the audio equivalent has beautifully been implemented I'm puzzled why I'm having trouble with the midi variety.

303creative

To avoid a mess, make sure all the notes need to be the same length to start with.
I

I want to be able to play the midi in freely.

why not just bounce in place and then reverse the audio? am used to doing this (i do it often); i always keep the midi file in case i need to make changes...

I've done that, but I want hear the MIDI only backwards and THEN bounce, and reverse that audio to see what will result.

Surely there is a way to flip the MIDI as a block?

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Is there a way to get the same reverse effect as you’d get with audio? Not reversing the position but getting the swelling effect straight out of any midi instrument?

Not exactly no. You could experiment with plug-ins that give you a reverse effect. Space Designer has some settings that allow that ... try 0.9s Room Reverse for example. There may be better ones though.

so good to do this in audio, tho. i took a 2-bar loop, cut it into 8 pieces, reversed all the pieces; sounded amazing. and adding reverb, for example to a note (or notes), then bouncing the note & reverb, then reversing that... also awesome.

speaking of midi tho... a synth sound (or a sampled piano, etc) with a slow attack and fast release, done right, can be amazing too....

so good to do this in audio, tho. i took a 2-bar loop, cut it into 8 pieces, reversed all the pieces; sounded amazing. and adding reverb, for example to a note (or notes), then bouncing the note & reverb, then reversing that... also awesome.

speaking of midi tho... a synth sound with a slow attack and fast release, done right, can be amazing too....

Yes but that can be complicated for example if you have overlapping notes, complex rhythms...

speaking of midi tho... a synth sound with a slow attack and fast release, done right, can be amazing too....

Yes but that can be complicated for example if you have overlapping notes, complex rhythms...

of course. only works if it works. anyway, if i really want a midi part reversed, i'll bounce in place. hard to do better than a true reverse..!

hard to do better than a true reverse..!

One is not better than the other, they're just two different use cases.

The true reverse reverses the entire performance (if you played CEFD forward, you'll get DFEC once reversed). If you want to keep the melody going forward, meaning if you played CEFD forward and want to hear CEFD reversed, or if you want to play an instrument reversed in real time, then a true reverse won't work. You need a plug-in for that.

hard to do better than a true reverse..!

One is not better than the other, they're just two different use cases.

The true reverse reverses the entire performance (if you played CEFD forward, you'll get DFEC once reversed). If you want to keep the melody going forward, meaning if you played CEFD forward and want to hear CEFD reversed, or if you want to play an instrument reversed in real time, then a true reverse won't work. You need a plug-in for that.

right, but i did this with a pianist's recording recently; took a 4-measure phrase, cut it into 8 regions (per chord change), and reversed them all, keeping the chord structure intact...

right, but i did this with a pianist's recording recently; took a 4-measure phrase, cut it into 8 regions (per chord change), and reversed them all, keeping the chord structure intact...

Yes, I can picture some situations where this would work very well, for example very simple rhythms, no overlapping notes, no overlapping sustain from previous notes... In any case one more tool in your arsenal to try.

Come to think of it, if that's practical, here's another solution:

1. Reverse the MIDI performance first (for example using the Transform window, or my favorite way: using the Time Handles and dragging),

2. Bounce to audio

3. Reverse the audio.