Disk is too slow or System Overload [SOLVED]

carryonsteve

In one of my projects, every time it gets to bar 9 it gives me the "Disk is too slow or System Overload" warning. I have 24gb of RAM, 6 core 3.33ghz processor, running my project from an external hard drive, and I have frozen all of my tracks except for a few. I have even bounced all of my vst tracks to basic audio tracks as well. This message comes up every single time at the exact same spot of the song, which isn't even the most complicated part of the song. It doesn't have any problems at any other part of the song. I am doing everything at 96khz sample rate which I regret now, and is probably most of the problem, but does anyone know what else I can do to fix this? I also increased my buffer size, made sure know other programs were running, and still nothing.

The first thing to do is to figure out wether you're maxing out your HD or your CPU: click the icons to the left in the LCD display in the control bar and choose "Custom". Double-click the HD and CPU meters to open a floating meter window. Just before you get the warning, which one of those is peaking, is it the CPU or the HD?

I can only assume that you have a lot of regions that start at bar 9? Apparently if you're overloading both the CPU and the HD at the same time... you could try bouncing some of those regions in place if they use a lot of effect. That will lessen the load on the CPU while not putting as much load on the HD as freezing tracks does (freezing is 32 bit floating point so that puts 1.5x the load on your HD vs 24 bit fixed).