Finding a project's audio files

dnito

First, I don't recommend ever specifying a destination folder in the recording settings. Instead, save your project as a folder, and select "Copy Audio Files..." in the save dialog. This will automatically set the destination folder to the correct location for you: the audio files folder inside the project folder.

Now I'm not sure how your project was saved (or if it was saved) but you can open your Project Audio Browser and see each audio file's location listed there:

861593282_ScreenShot2016-06-03at9_57_14AM.png.b57449fae52c3c727956e4c86af67bbc.png

Thanks, David.

Why shouldn't a person specify a destination folder for the audio?

And if I'm saving as a folder, do you recommend saving the folder to an external drive? And is it cool if it's the same one on which the audio resides?

And yes, I can see the location of the audio files in the Project Audio Browser, but the files appear to be nestled into the file itself -- so i can't actually see the individual files when I go to that respective destination in Finder. I can only see the project name.

Why shouldn't a person specify a ldestination folder for the audio?

The better question should be: why should a person ever have to specify a destination folder for the audio? And the answer is never as long as you save your project correctly. IMO the best way to save your project is to save it as a project folder, and selecting "copy audio files." That means you'll have an "audio files" folder inside the project folder, along with your project file, Logic will automatically set the destination folder for you, and both you and Logic will always know where to find your audio files.

And if I'm saving as a folder, do you recommend saving the folder to an external drive? And is it cool if it's the same one on which the audio resides?

Yes, I would recommend you save as a folder onto an external drive if you have one, and the audio should stay with the project file inside the project folder.

And yes, I can see the location of the audio files in the Project Audio Browser, but the files appear to be nestled into the file itself -- so i can't actually see the individual files when I go to that respective destination in Finder. I can only see the project name.

That's because the project was not saved as a folder, but as a package (which I don't recommend). You can control-click the package in the Finder to access its contents.

• 2 years later...
Why is it that you recommend folder over package??

It's quicker in terms of file management. You can see right away what's in the project folder.

You can see different versions of a project sharing the same audio folder.

With a package you have to right click it and select show contents and only then can you see what's in it.

Just a better overview.

Why is it that you recommend folder over package??

Many reasons, mostly my own personal experience, also habit because I started saving Logic projects as folders way before GarageBand was created (which is when packages started being used by GarageBand, and later introduced in Logic for compatibility reasons), but also issues that can arise with project corruption, versioning, also for quick access to any file used by the project in the Finder, etc...

not to be contrary (i am never contrary)... but packages just seem simpler and easier to manage to me. and, worse-case scenario, if one got corrupted in some way where i could not open the package (and this has never happened to me)... i always have my backup drive file.

but again, we all work differently. fortunately, that's true about the actual music as well (makes life so much more interesting)...