Doing chart with repeats (1st ending, 2nd ending, etc) without changing the "MIDI" arrangement.

Daniel Lemay

Hi guys.  I looked for this topic in Logic's instruction manual and on this forum (most recent answers are dated back to logic 7 - 8) and I wander if things have evolved since.  As the title says,  it's about putting repeats in the score, without doing, as it was done by mostly all of us,  saving one arrangement for "sound" and another one for notation, the later with the repeated MIDI regions cut from the arrangement, with the repeat signs (coda / segno / endings, etc...) added.  Another question I have is  how to change the notation of a score, without affecting the MIDI.  For example, at some point I programmed a tambourine roll, (like 32 "notes" or so in a 4/4 bar)  which of course I don't want to see but rather have a whole note with the three "lines"  (I'm french speaking, and I don't know the exact term, but I guess you know what I mean.) on top of it to indicate it's a roll...

Thanks

Dan (Greater Montreal)  

Logic 10.2.4 Imac  Yosemite 10.10.53.5 intel core 16G rams 1600 MHz DDR3 (3 x Profire 2626 M-audio)

I do not understand your first question regarding repeats Etc on sound only part. Could you attempt to re-explain with more details?

For tambourine - you should copy those notes to another track (tamborine track) so it plays correctly. Then in the inspector uncheck score. This will make the track play but not show up in notation. Then on the main track add your whole note and set its velocity to 1 with a velocity limit of starting at 2 in the inspector - this will make the whole note inaudible during playback

You will then see the whole note in the score but hear the invisible 32 notes play....

Thanks for the answer.  For the first part,  It's about putting the midi arrangement into score.  Let's say my song starts off with 8 bars repeated twice.  In the "arrange" window,  I'd have 16 bars,  but when I go to the "score" window,  what I want is the first 8 bars with repeat signs,  I don't want the first 8 bars written twice.  What I always did was an audio arrangement of the song,  save it (and bounce it...),  then open it under a new file name and cut mostly all the "repeated bars" I could cut from the arrange window and use the repeats signs, Dal sagno,  coda etc. to shortened the score / charts displays.  So in this case I would cut bar 9 to 16, in the arrange window, go to the score window (where I would only see 8 bars when I want to hear 16) and I would put repeat signs beginning of bar one and end of bar 8.  I just wander if there was another way of doing this,  without having to work in two separate files.  I hope you understand.  From what I read in previous posts (7 years ago, back to Logic 7 - 8),  one gentleman talked about using alias,  but he wasn't so sure about it. 

The short answer is there is no easy way of doing this. So the way you are proceeding is the most logical way. (one version for audio and one for score)

Thank you for the clear detail explanation - that was perfect...

PS

You could however keep them in the same project ( either as alternatives or in different folders [logic pro region folders]) at least that way they would both be contained in the same project reference.