Disable Midi Thru per channel

theelectricdisco

Hi

I'm having some major problems with my Prophet 8 getting mixed clock messages and totally losing sync when I send and receive parameter change messages from the knobs on the synth.

It works with Local On, internal clock and Parameter send off but I obviously then can't record changes and it's basically just disabled all the midi connections.

Things improve slightly when I record disable the midi channel the Prophet is set to in Logic, but problems reappear as soon as I start recording.

It has been suggested by a couple of different people that turning off Midi Thru in Logic might fix things, but I just can't seem to figure out how to do it.

I've tried a couple of things which may have actually been correct but had no impact on the sync problems

First off I tried to create a midi instrument in the environment which I was then able to select in the no midi thru drop down in the Midi preferences pane. 

Secondly, again in the environment, I tried creating a multi instrument, connecting to a No Thru fader and then to a midi instrument.

I believe the suggestion for this might have actually been on this forum.

Again, either I did it wrong or it simply didn't work.

It would be fantastic to get some pointers for other things I might try or ideas of where I might be going wrong.

Many thanks!!

Mark

Hey Volovicg

Thanks for the reply.

Im away from Logic at the moment, but to assign the track to the 1st Multi instrument, is this accessed via the reassign track menu?

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph12919?locale=en_US

Secondly, you mentioned the 2nd multi instrument..

In the scenario I had followed, there was only one multi created in the environment, followed by the no thru, followed by a midi instrument.

Should this second instrument be multi too?

And will it be apparent how to assign that to the Prophet once I'm in there tonight?

Before we go to far down this path... let's go back and do it the normal way -  to disable Midi thru and see if it solves your issue.

Animation below explains execution of steps that follow. ( for visualization I am using a midi monitoring program as a destination to simulate an external synth - so what you see on the left side is what is being sent externally out of Logic to the synth)

1/ Create or use and external instrument and assign it to a track. (make sure the port is set to the external synth and the midi channel is set to all.

This is very important - MAKE SURE THIS TRACK IS HIGHLIGHTED WHEN PLAYING  ( see the bold, the underline and the script - that is how important this is)

You see that each note I play is echoed back out of logic to the external synth - in this case the one I created called LPH EXT SYNTH... ( this is the normal default)

2/ Now open project setting->Midi - and at the bottom there is a drop down asking you which object to disable Midi Thru on.

3/ In this case there are 17 LPH EXT INST objects - 16 represent individual midi channels and the one without any represent the multi object ( or all 16 channels aggregated).

4/ In the drop down select your external synth ( without any numbers) - in the case LPH EXT INST.

5/ Now notice after I select in the drop down to disable midi thru for this device object - when I play it continues to send data to the external synth. That is because you are LIVE and have to come out of LIVE and back in again in order for the change to take affect... So just record disable the track and then re- record enable it.

6/ Now when you play on on that track - Midi Thru is disabled and no midi data should be sent to your external synth while playing Live. ( you can see this below)

See if this solves your issue - then how you want to implement the disablement of Midi Thru is up to you. Most new logic users (typically based on a mis-understanding of how logic works or based on experience with other DAW's) believe they have to disable Midi thru for all devices/ports/channels etc.  You do not.  Since all midi into Logic's sequencer arrives only through the track that is highlighted - hence only one environment object - that is the only object which needs midi thru disabled on, because by default it will be disabled on all tracks - since they are all arriving at the same entry point.  The enviornment method of Multi- Fader( thru disabled) - Multi chain is only required if someone wants some external devices to disable midi thru while letting others keep it enabled.  Generally speaking - most will either want it enabled or disabled completely for everything - for which the first approach is why it is part of the standard midi configuration as an option.   I know probably more than you wanted to know........

1424787838_MidiThruDisable(NormalWay).thumb.gif.bc77a5c4bd5dcafa6bbdf7f0fa2dbc73.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Morning, 

Just wanted to check in re. this issue.

I'd been around the houses and tried everything to get it running properly and was at my whits end.

Then randomly while I was rerouting my gear I ended up sending clock via a different port and whammo..  everything seems (touch wood) ok now!

It appears that there is a known bug with clock drift going via the saffire 56 / firewire / thunderbolt

Anyway, I've routed out of the midi Thru on my Maschine and everything seems perfect!

I'll keep on digging deeper in case there are still any bugs but so far it seems that it wasn't a routing / software problem but just a technical flaw!

Thanks for all the feedback though. Much appreciated!