Problem with cursor in Logic Pro X

Antti

Hey,

I've had this problem with cursor in logic. Sometimes cursor in Logic "gets stuck" with the last used cursor tool icon. So for example; I want to trim an audio region, but the cursor says as the typical basic cursor, as long as I click the right place of the audio region, it changes the cursor to trimming cursor and stays that way as long as I click another place with the cursor.

Rebooting Logic helps for a while, but then at some point the cursors start to get stuck again. It's really hard to find the right click zones for trimming, looping, fading and shaping fades. Extremely annoying if I'm doing audio editing.

I tried to google if someone had the same problem, but I didn't find anything. Is anyone had the same problem? If yes, is there some sort of easy solution to this?

This is an ongoing bug that have plagued Logic since generations (countless versions)...

Not really a solution but some kind of a trick that could help: 

-Using key commands to switch mouse tool back/forth. 

I use the Esc key command, which I programmed to call the tool menu and also to select the default pointer tool (arrow shape) from that tool menu. Thus, tapping twice in succession on my keyboard Esc key, triggers the (re-)selection of that tool which forces Logic to update its mouse pointer icon tool display.

Yes, I also use key command to change tools. T to open the tool menu and other keys to select a tool like T --> I scissor tool or T --> M mute tool etc. But it is still extremely annoying that if there is tool that does different thing in different zones. Like the basic pointer tool, that can create fades, shape fades, trim, loop, select or move regions what-not.

I really have no idea how to contact the development to request a fix to this bug. It's driving me crazy.

Thank you anyway, I really appreciate your effort!

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I've been having exactly the same cursor problem in Logic Pro X since I updated to 10.3.2. As usual Apple do nothing to fix the bug...it seems unless they decide they want

to sort something out then it never gets done. Sorry for moaning, but when it's your living and you work all day every day with something like this, it can get on your nerves.

And, by the way, PLEASE bring back the colour picker...I've just been working a session on an older Logic and forgot how nice it is to soften the colours instead of only having the gaudy colours  Apple give you in the colour pallette. I know millions of people have complained about this and still they do nothing.

Cheers,  Terry

• 6 months later...
I just encountered the same problem.My cursor was stuck on scissors and I wanted to move some regions. Couldn't do it! I "cured" the by using the command key while moving the cursor. It reverted to pointer. BTW, I only encountered this bug on one file (so far....). As soon as I opened another file, no problems. Also, when I renamed the problem file, it didn't help.

I just encountered the same problem.My cursor was stuck on scissors and I wanted to move some regions. Couldn't do it! I "cured" the by using the command key while moving the cursor. It reverted to pointer. BTW, I only encountered this bug on one file (so far....). As soon as I opened another file, no problems. Also, when I renamed the problem file, it didn't help.

usually, quitting & reopening logic should fix this, or... a reboot.

• 4 months later...
I have the same problem, but also in piano roll when I try to grab a note and move it, it simply won't move. then sometimes I can move the note.

That's definitely not expected. you shouldn't have to suffer through that. Are you using any 3rd party utilities or mouse or keyboard or any kind of input device utility on your Mac?

No, My mouse and keyboard is Mac. I don't have any third party utilities. This has started happening since upgrading to 10.4. also my midi pitch bend and mod wheel doesn't work. I did turn of my Nord Stage Keyboard and then turned it back on and the modulators started working. when I re-opened the project the controllers won't work. I tried turning off the Nord and re-start but still not working. Have reset midi controllers through preferences. I have no midi assignments in control surfaces. don't know why this is happening?

No, My mouse and keyboard is Mac. I don't have any third party utilities. This has started happening since upgrading to 10.4. also my midi pitch bend and mod wheel doesn't work. I did turn of my Nord Stage Keyboard and then turned it back on and the modulators started working. when I re-opened the project the controllers won't work. I tried turning off the Nord and re-start but still not working. Have reset midi controllers through preferences. I have no midi assignments in control surfaces. don't know why this is happening?

Perhaps your Nord has been enabled in the automatic Smart Control controller assignment. If that is the case, remove the corresponding checkmark in the Control Surfaces preference (MIDI Controllers pane)