MIDI Mapping Drums

johnduncan

Hello all, and thanks to the admin for the registration help via Facebook! First post and new user so be gentle.

I have a cheap Yamaha DTXplorer drum kit that I want to use to record MIDI drums using Logic's much better kits. However, the instrument mapping is not standard and the snare and kick both play cymbals. In the past with GarageBand I've used MIDIPipe to remap the drums and it worked fine, but doesn't work following either Logic install or High Sierra upgrade (required for 10.3).

How do I map the old notes to new in Logic X? I am bewildered by the articles and videos I've found online, which have not solved my problem. I get the impression I need to delve into the environment and pipe the input through a transformer to an output, but I'm damned if I can work out how.

If it's any help, the mapping I use in MIDIPipe is:

A2->C3

G2->D3

which as I say worked fine previously.

Coincidentally, have been able to do it in Mainstage but the paradigm seems quite different.

Many thanks in advance if anyone's able to help me...

JD

Sorry for the delay, life took over.

So here's what I do, starting from scratch:

- Create new project, add software instrument and set to drum kit (Heavy)

- In environment, add a sequencer input and mapped instrument, and connect the two:

http://www.bettyandtherabbits.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Screen-Shot-2017-10-23-at-14.34.08.png

- In the mapped instrument, set the two offending notes (METROCLICK and STICKS, which are fired when I hit the snare and kick) to C1 and D1 respectively:

http://www.bettyandtherabbits.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Screen-Shot-2017-10-23-at-14.38.35.png

Nothing happens.  What am I missing?

JD

OMGOMGOMGOMG.

That worked!  Thank you so much.

So to recap conceptually: when doing a mapping I need to add a physical input in the environment (it's an interface as opposed to the dtxplorer directly, but irrelevant), connect that to the mapping instrument, and connect that to the sequencer?  Adding the physical input makes complete sense, of course...

• 2 months later...