Logic X 10.4.4 Random White Noise Blast Issue

wolfmix
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Yesterday I took delivery of a new Macbook Pro with Logic X 10.4.2. I am getting white noise blasts during song playback, and even when the song isn't playing! I upgraded to 10.4.4 to see if that would solve the issue but it hasn't. I've tried disabling plugins but it seems to be coming from the computer itself and it does it even when the track isn't playing. I read another thread online and the suggestion was to change the processing threads setting to 6. This didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Yes, only when logic is open. It's an M-Audio interface but it does it even when the interface isn't connected and I'm playing the arrangement internally. There are no demos running. I have tried to eliminate the issue by disabling instruments and even deleting tracks, but nothing seems to work. I had this same arrangement running with no problem on my old Mac. I imported the arrangement yesterday and everything works perfectly except this random white noise blast. I've just tested a couple of other arrangements and I'm still getting the white noise.

I removed all third party plugins and instruments and saved a new version of the arrangement. The issue seemed to disappear. At this point I started to get worried because I suspected it was Komplete Kontrol (Native Instruments Kontact player that works with my S88 keyboard). This is basically the root of my entire workflow. So I loaded a simpler arrangement (one also made on my old computer) and removed all the Komplete Kontrol instruments. Again, the issue seemed to have gone. So I went back to the first arrangement and removed all Komplete Kontrol instances to test the theory (I left the plugins on), but it returned, even with them all removed.

It did not return as regularly though, but that could be coincidence.

So at this point there are still potentially a number of causes:

1. It's a specific plugin used in both arrangements. I'll test this when I get home a bit later.

2. It's just happening at random and is not a plugin or instrument. Bad news if it is a processor problem. I'm not sure how I would further identify this and explain it to Apple.

3. The noise happens less when fewer plugins/instruments are used. This would be a strange scenario considering I just massively upgraded to a maxed out Macbook Pro to avoid CPU overload on my old 8GB 2013 machine. The CPU does not appear to be struggling, but I did notice that one of the cores on the CPU bar is always very high compared to the others (the one on the far right), though I maybe interpreting this as a potential problem when in fact it's normal.

I will test some more later. Thank you for your suggestions thus far.

P.S. I read some threads online about this being an issue in Pro Tools; one that has never really been solved. Though it sounds sporadic rather than constant.

Problem solved. It was a 3rd party plugin. I narrowed it down through elimination and then removed and reinstalled the plugin. It was Trackspacer. When I reinstalled it asked me for the serial and username again so I think it had defaulted to a demo state but hadn't prompted me. Thank you Fisherking and David for taking the time out to reply.