Logic Pro 8 installation, upgrade, licensing FAQ

David Nahmani

Hi all, in the interest of cleaning up the forum a little bit (things have been crazy for the past day), let's try and consolidate all upgrade, licensing, or Logic Pro 8 installation questions in that thread. I count on all of you to keep this thread on topic, free of opinions, judgements, complaints, but instead filled with information and help to all the users who need to upgrade or buy Logic Pro 8.

THANKS!

PS: if you haven't bought your upgrade yet, please buy from R.S.P.E. as they support Logic Pro Help and the Los Angeles User Group, and we want to support them. They offer free shipping throughout the US. Thanks!

Please don't get frustrated, but as an effort to keep this thread useful, all posts that are not about Logic Pro 8 licensing, upgrade or installation questions or answers will be deleted. For your other Logic 8 questions, look at the other Announcement threads, there are links to the manuals, and a lot of other questions are already answered in those threads.

Also I am very very busy right now so I might make mistakes or have a sensible 'delete' finger, soooo nothing personal guys!

Thank you for your understanding! :P

Edited by David Nahmani

Just an update for anyone who has ordered or is planning on ordering from RSPE. I ordered my upgrade from them last night and I spoke to Chris over there this morning. As of 10 AM they had not received their shipment from Apple. He said most likely they will have it in tomorrow though. Edited by Chris

Thanks, David. This will be a great place to go to FIRST to see what others are experiencing during their installs, and suggestions for making a smooth transition.

FOR EXAMPLE:

If you already have lots of Jam Packs...did you delete them and just let the new L8 install redo them?

If you DO want to do the new iLife/GarageBand...same question...what did you do regarding your existing Apple Loops files? Same with the Apple Loops for SoundTrack Pro.

stuff like that :)

the express update is 299. and its full Pro 8

Lp7 stays intact.

upgrades still need the dongle.

I feel so bad for the admins....

dude can i send u a case of redbull and tylenols....

But i got give u gus credit your handling all the redundant questions pretty good.

Just dont get mad at us i guess we are still a little flustered....

Questions About Licensing:

Question:: Can I run Logic Pro 8 on my Laptop and Desktop?

Answer:

From the Logic Studio Software License Agreement

"2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on one Apple-labeled desktop computer and one Apple-labeled laptop computer so long as both computers are owned and used by you. This License does not allow the Apple Software to run on more than one computer at a time."

I am not sure if there are any technical restrictions (ie, disabling logic when it detects another on the network) and I have no idea about installation restrictions (copy protection/challenge response, etc)

Upgrading

Upgrading for me went really smoothly although I haven't had a chance to really dig in yet. I seems that my Autoload, Environment, Screen Sets, and Key-Commands seem to be gone. I haven't looked into how to import them yet (or wether it even makes sense...). Anybody tried importing Templates, Environments, etc?

Anybody shed any light on this?

It has got to be possible, but according to the 'getting started' manual it seems that only certain sounds banks let you choose where to install.

This can't be, can it?

I don't have that kinda space on my internal drive...

Thanks in advance!

OK.. so it does upgrade to the full Logic Studio, thanks.

But Even after the upgrade we're still going to need the dongle?

No, once you upgrade, you can ditch the dongle (unless you plan on using Logic 7). At least that's what the Apple store told me. They said Logic 8 will read the serial# off the dongle once, then it won't need it anymore.

No, once you upgrade, you can ditch the dongle (unless you plan on using Logic 7). At least that's what the Apple store told me. They said Logic 8 will read the serial# off the dongle once, then it won't need it anymore.

You will need the dongle if you ever have to reinstall, but not to run the app. After if finished the instalk, I just put the dongle in the LS8 box on my shelf for safe keeping.

Geof

greetings everyone! Im running Logic 7 academic,do i need to uninstall before installing 8????

please help

On my laptop, I removed 7 before installing 8 to make space, but on my desktop, I installed 8 over top. I haven't fully tested, but the installer doesn't overwrite LP7, it renames it to Logic Pro 7.app, the LP8 app in now Logic Pro.app. So they default to coexisting on your system.

Geof

Hi. So here is a question. If I buy 2 upgrades from LP7.Will I then be able to authorize on 4 computers? I have the Xkey already.Even save $100 dollars off the price of the full version that allows for 2 computer authorizations.The serial numbers will be for 2 different purchases. But will it confuse the Xkey.It isn't unlike additional fees to allow for the Apple "Family" price.Which other companies also do to extend their products to be used with broader liscense.Actually it would be nicer if you could just purchase additional installs for $50 a pop. So $200 would be a real heavy hats off to Apple for this advantage. Any thoughts? JON

They said Logic 8 will read the serial# off the dongle once, then it won't need it anymore.

And here is my doubt.

I just ordered a new Mac Intel. (getting it two weeks from today).

I intend to buy Logic Studio upgrade as soon as possible.

So:

- I will be able to plug my dongle into the new Mac and install the L8 upgrade?

- The new Mac and L8 install will recognize my Dongle serial # even being a fresh new machine? Is the Dongle attached with a specific machine?

Or the upgrade install will just work on the old Mac with Logic Pro 7 already installed?

This is a crucial thing that I need to know.

Any help will be much appreciated.

:?:

Hhmm..GOOD question!

Do you plan on using Target Disk Mode to get all the info off your OLD machine onto your new one??? If so..you -SHOULD- be able to just plug your dongle into the new machine, start up L7, and it should all work..THEN, you should do the L8 Upgrade to the NEW machine (IF you can be that patient....)

Depending on what other plug-ins you have on your old one (especially with Native Instruments..) you'll have to reauthorize some of them...as many license/copy protection keys are tied to either an ethernet card/physical drive, motherboard, etc...

when my Quad G5 blew it's motherboard, I had to go through some hoops to get everything reauthorized for the new motherboard.

so...my advice would be to be patient..DON'T install L8 on your old machine..and get that new baby ASAP :)

i've been reading the update manual of logic studio.

i don't get it how the structure is of updating logic, i can't read anything that says you've need to install logic 7 pro first -> then logic studio.

even if you don't have logic installed, can you install a brand new copy of logic studio update to your drive? how does logic detect that you own a full copy of logic pro? with the XSKEY?

thank you :)

even if you don't have logic installed, can you install a brand new copy of logic studio update to your drive? how does logic detect that you own a full copy of logic pro? with the XSKEY?

The dongle holds your license and is not machine specific.

http://support.apple.com/manuals/en/Logic_Studio_Installing_Your_Software_Upgrade.pdf

"A dialog appears, asking you to either enter the serial number of your earlier Logic version, or to connect your XSKey to one of your computer’s USB ports.

If you are upgrading a previous Logic Pro version, Logic Express 6, or Logic Audio, connect your XSKey to one of your computer’s USB ports.

Important:

Do not throw away your XSKey after installation—you’ll need it

whenever upgrading to Logic Pro 8 (or reinstalling it, if necessary)."

If upgrading from Express 7 to Logic Express 8, it appears you may only need the serial number from your previous installation.

Does that help?

Hhmm..GOOD question!

Do you plan on using Target Disk Mode to get all the info off your OLD machine onto your new one??? If so..you -SHOULD- be able to just plug your dongle into the new machine, start up L7, and it should all work..THEN, you should do the L8 Upgrade to the NEW machine (IF you can be that patient....)

Depending on what other plug-ins you have on your old one (especially with Native Instruments..) you'll have to reauthorize some of them...as many license/copy protection keys are tied to either an ethernet card/physical drive, motherboard, etc...

when my Quad G5 blew it's motherboard, I had to go through some hoops to get everything reauthorized for the new motherboard.

so...my advice would be to be patient..DON'T install L8 on your old machine..and get that new baby ASAP :)

Ummm..

I didn't decide about this yet Dave.

I don't know If I will use Target Disc Mode or use a fresh, clean, beautiful new Mac free to install L8 from scratch.

;)

Probably the easiest thing to do is indeed use Mac OSX Migration Assistant or even using Super Duper to clone the system and have my new Mac exactly the same as the old one, and then proceed with L8 upgrade process.

I don't know...

But to decide I need to know if I can install a fresh L8 on the new Mac using my L7 Dongle.

Is that possible?

Or I will just need my Express Serial # (I came from Express and then bought the Pro upgarde last june!! Damn it! I should have waited a little more! Now Express to L8 is just 299!)

Thanks a lot.