Latency Problem when using Side Chain

Mind and Fancy

Hi there!

For ages now I've had a problem while using the side chain function in Logic Pro X (10.4.4 at the moment)

When I send everything I want to duck to an Aux track, I use a compressor with the kick as side chain input.

The problem is that when latency-inducing plugins start to add up, the compressor starts to react too early.

This is very strange to me, but my guess is that the plugin delay compensation is accounted for twice. Is it?

(I figured out it only happens while using latency introducing plugins on busses)

My solution for the last couple of years has been using a ghost trigger for the side chain input, and setting the delay of the ghost trigger to a positive value in the inspector so it aligns again. Although this is not a very elegant solution

This works because the sound coming through the Side Chain input was correct in the first place, it's just the compressor that gets triggered too early.

Nowadays I don't use a compressor to do the ducking but a Midi-controller Effect like LFO Tool or VolumeShaper.

Here, the same problem occurs and requires more or less the same solution.

Also and even more frustrating is that the problem occurs when using a vocoder plugin.

This of course works the same way by using the side chain input.

This made me realise that latency is to be expected when using a live input, but the problem stays when I'm working on the mix with no inputs enabled.

I've included a picture with an example. Here I used VolumeShaper because you can easily see how far it's off. It's almost a 1/32 off

Can someone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or is this a bug? I hope that there is a solution!

Thanks

58016541_Screenshot2019-07-25at14_24_00.thumb.png.39a92dee8ea075136ff4ba53d623cbc5.png

Test Project2.zip

• 1 month later...