Advice needed on speaker placement, acoustic treatment and Sonarworks

Hi

I’ve moved into a new room and am once again faced with the challenge of creating a space that I can make good mixes in.

I recently sold all my Auralex acoustic foam because I learned that it simply isn’t good enough for absorbing low frequencies. I was considering getting some of the proper stuff from Real Traps or one of those kinds of companies but then I had another thought :

I’ve gotten used to doing a lot of my mixing on headphones. Additionally, as I have neighbours I can never really play music too loud anyway and so when I have my speakers on, I’ll be mixing quietly. When you mix quietly you have less need for room treatment because the room reaction won’t be as prominent. Also I’ve heard Sonarworks can do wonders for dodgey room tones.

So, is it possible that if I combined the use of Sonarworks with low mixing levels I might not need acoustic treatment or at least not need much of it?

How good is Sonarworks for this purpose really?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for where I might put the speakers and listening position in this room?

1097413439_TottenhamLanediagram.thumb.png.01d90b7e54b9749ccfb096b09cc89102.png

Thanks