Serious graphical issues after update to Mojave.

AMD
Go to solution Solved by AMD,

Hi everyone.

Until recently I had been running Logic 10.4.8 on High Sierra, but the that OS was so unbelievably terrible that I decided to try Mojave. Everything seemed relatively OK until I started having serious graphical issues whilst using Logic. When I click anything on the Logic GUI, like trying to route something to a send or move a region for example, all sort of crazy lines and flashes appear. I've attached some screen screen shots in the hope that someone might be able to help me to troubleshoot this.

So far this behaviour only seems to be happening when I use Logic.

Thanks in advance.

2128282442_Screenshot2020-02-11at12_23_46.thumb.png.0b898a9d7b39c22b5ba6978c649c5e98.png1792053461_Screenshot2020-02-11at12_22_28.thumb.png.0a45807d866b979e0fa2a266de4b438c.png893266840_Screenshot2020-02-11at12_15_24.thumb.png.e7a51de0fd9d5aa05f4fbcb75e659017.png282522122_Screenshot2020-02-11at12_05_26.thumb.png.074c8c555af04bd87e197f102bd5557f.png430690781_Screenshot2020-02-11at12_04_46.thumb.png.227dabfc445cf31e308da1c1a656637c.png1431725300_Screenshot2020-02-11at12_04_25.thumb.png.05b416b6c217d9775abce99cfd9f8c7f.png

Also - what specifically made you move from High Sierra to Mojave ?

After several attempts, I was unable to install a critical security update while running Sierra. Apple support recommended trying to install High Sierra, which installed OK, but my whole system slowed down. Everything from email to music production was affected, so I thought I'd try Mojave, but then this graphical mayhem started happening.

These remind of issues related to GPU overheating. Does this happen all the time, or only after using LPX for a while? Do you use iStat (https://istat-pro.en.softonic.com/mac)?

So far it only happens when I'm using logic, even for a few minutes. Hasn't happened with any other apps yet.

Have you tested this with any other heavily graphics oriented applications?

Have you tested this with any other heavily graphics oriented applications?

The only thing I have similar to Logic is Ableton Live. I've tried working on projects with that and everything is fine. I was working in Logic earlier and everything was ok until I tried to create a new track. As soon as I try to choose a track type from the drop down menu, the graphics go bonkers. As soon as I close the new tracks dialogue box, everything returns to normal. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen! I quit Logic and created several new empty projects and the exact same thing happens when I try to create a new track and try to choose a track type from the drop down menu. Bizarre!

That is strange. Sorry to hear you're having problems. I'm a couple updates behind you on both Mojave and Logic. Think I'll stay put for the time being.

A wise idea :) Thank you for your comments.

Interestingly, I think I may have found the culprit. I noticed that each time the graphics went bonkers while using Logic, I had VLC open. As soon as I quit VLC, the issues disappeared immediately. Obviously these issues should not happen, but at least I seem to be able to use Logic again.

I'll keep a close eye on it.

• Solution

Hello everyone. Just a quick update on this.

After working in Logic for several hours today, I can confirm that VLC is the culprit. For whatever reason, on my machine running Mojave 10.14.6, having VLC open at the same time as Logic is causing the crazy graphical issues in the screenshots above. That was not the case on Sierra or High Sierra. It only began happening after the update to Mojave, for some reason.

As a workaround, I've simply switched to Quicktime Player to watch tutorials while Logic is open. It would be very interesting to see if anyone else has these problems, but I hope no one does! Certainly one of the strangest bugs I've come across.

Hello everyone. Just a quick update on this.

After working in Logic for several hours today, I can confirm that VLC is the culprit. For whatever reason, on my machine running Mojave 10.14.6, having VLC open at the same time as Logic is causing the crazy graphical issues in the screenshots above. That was not the case on Sierra or High Sierra. It only began happening after the update to Mojave, for some reason.

As a workaround, I've simply switched to Quicktime Player to watch tutorials while Logic is open. It would be very interesting to see if anyone else has these problems, but I hope no one does! Certainly one of the strangest bugs I've come across.

What version of VLC are you using? The reason I ask is that I'm using vlc 3.0.8 and it's working ok.

Thanks for the report.

Chuck