A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

 
ew1
Topic Author
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:32 pm

Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:57 am

Hi

I'm trying to decide between Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I'm looking for something that will give me a reliable bootable drive.

Thanks
• Logic Pro 9.1.8
• OS X 10.10.5
• 2013 iMac
• 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
• Memory 16GB
• Apogee Duet 2
 
User avatar
fisherking
Posts: 4664
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am
Location: yes
Contact:

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:24 pm

time machine does incremental backups every hour, is unobtrusive, and simple. for most macusers, should be enough.

i prefer to mirror my mac, so... no extra files. if i delete something, it's gone forever. for me, that works, always has. for others, they want older files, older versions of things (i DO archive a lot of work; my brain just can't handle everything being saved :mrgreen: ). i use carbon copy cloner for that (and no time machine).

CCC is pretty versatile, and you can clone your drive, so if u ever need to, you can boot from the cloned drive. i never do that, i just back up my work, plugins, etc.

am sure others will chime in as well; am curious myself to see how people back up.
LX10.4.8 • os10.15.4b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com
 
User avatar
skijumptoes
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:04 pm

Time machine is set and forget, very easy to setup and integrates well with MacOS - it's never failed for me personally - but it won't create a boot drive as such, it gives you the option of restoring a boot drive to your SSD/HDD via the MacOS recovery options though.

CCC i've only used for complete system snapshots which i do 5-6 times a year manually now, and that does create a bootable drive - you can clone to a second drive.

As long as you have a local backup which you can use for quick rollbacks and an offsite/cloud backup you're golden or most situations. CCC for me is more of a failsafe, and i feel comfortable knowing i have the entire contents stored locally.

If i had entire system failure i'd restore my newest CCC (If i'm busy/lazy i can be 3 months away from my last clone) - which is basically my entire OS and it's apps/settings - and then i would restore data i needed from cloud. But that's mainly because my internet connection would take days to restore everything from scratch. It's data that i'm most precious about.

So yeah, CCC for a true boot disk clone 100% over time machine. But make sure you have at least a local and external backup to be on the safe side, and at least one you want to be incremental for file rollbacks. Things get trickier when you're archiving out to local disks... as they also should techincally be cloned elsewhere too.

Backing up is a pain really, and if you've ever suffered losses before that's cost you time/money then it's easy to become over OCD about it.
 
User avatar
fisherking
Posts: 4664
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am
Location: yes
Contact:

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:51 pm

i back up after any major work, and regularly once a week. i backup my (external) archive drive as well. CCC is great, simple enough (once you set it up). but time machine is, at least, easy to use, and organizes your backed-up files as well.

either way, backing is always essential; i've heard too many stories of people who've lost work.
LX10.4.8 • os10.15.4b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com
 
User avatar
skijumptoes
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:15 am

I had a powercut that killed my main machine and the local backup which was taking place, literally lost everything overnight and sat in disbelief the next morning thinking it can't be possible! But it was.

Paid to have drive recovered by a specialist, but that didn't recover everything I needed, the files existed but they were corrupted.

For me cloud backups are a blessing, I'm not regimented enough for manual backups and moving local copies to external locations to keep my ass covered, it's the biggest piece of mind out there for my requirements. And best of all it just does its stuff in the background.

The carbon copies are take are just piece of mind, in truth the only time I'd use them is if I migrated to a new hdd Or had to get a system up and running within the hour. Cause they're outdated the minute you take them vs an incremental system.
 
User avatar
fisherking
Posts: 4664
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am
Location: yes
Contact:

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:46 am

yikes. i use idrive as well; great to have an online backup; plus, you can backup and/or retrieve files if you're travelling... etc.

CCC & idrive work for me 8-)
LX10.4.8 • os10.15.4b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com
 
User avatar
Akitru
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:23 am

I use both, with an external SSD drive dedicated to each. I find Time Machine great for quick examination or recovery of an older version of some file, and use CCC for backing up full images to protect against a serious crash (and also to have an external drive that I can use to boot from a different Mac Mini in case of a disaster that keeps the main Mac Mini in a shop for a while).

I also rotate separate periodic CCC backups to physical SSDs kept in an external site (in case the whole place burns down).

Summary: use both, they are each great for their use cases!
2018 Mini 6-core i7 | 32GB | Mojave 10.14.6
RME FireFace UFX II | Novation Impulse 61
Logic 10.4.8 | Reason 11.x
 
User avatar
fisherking
Posts: 4664
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am
Location: yes
Contact:

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:59 am

Akitru wrote:
I use both, with an external SSD drive dedicated to each. I find Time Machine great for quick examination or recovery of an older version of some file, and use CCC for backing up full images to protect against a serious crash (and also to have an external drive that I can use to boot from a different Mac Mini in case of a disaster that keeps the main Mac Mini in a shop for a while).

I also rotate separate periodic CCC backups to physical SSDs kept in an external site (in case the whole place burns down).

Summary: use both, they are each great for their use cases!


you could replace the external site process with an online backup service... just a suggestion.
LX10.4.8 • os10.15.4b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com
 
User avatar
Akitru
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:13 am

fisherking wrote:
you could replace the external site process with an online backup service... just a suggestion.

For security reasons I prefer to limit my use of the cloud for general storage. But I agree it is a good convenient alternative for offsite ('house burned down') if you can get comfortable with the current (and future) data provenance and encyryption.
2018 Mini 6-core i7 | 32GB | Mojave 10.14.6
RME FireFace UFX II | Novation Impulse 61
Logic 10.4.8 | Reason 11.x
 
facej
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:10 pm

1. Time Machine backups are not bootable
2. Online backup services are not bootable

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my boot drive and external drive every night. Once a week I take the backup drive off site and retrieve the other backup drive.

I use Time Machine to create incremental backups as usual, so I have my clone from 0300, and incremental as needed. Never more than a week behind.

Yes, I have had all of my computers and backup drives stolen, so I will not do without a bootable backup off site.

My laptops clone to SSD. My "working Mac" clones to 4TB disks.

Backing up is not at all hard, and certainly shouldn't be "set it and forget it". I spend 45 minutes per week swapping out backup drives including taking drives off-site and putting the "other" drives in service. I listen to a podcast while I am doing it.
Logic Pro X 10.4.8
OS X 10.14.6 (and 10.13.6, and 10.15.2)
iMac19,1 27" - 3.6 GHz Intel 8 Core i9 - 40GB memory - MacBookPro11,2 - 2.3GHz Intel 4 Core i7 - 16GB memory
Behringer XR18 - Behringer X-Touch
https://www.studio-interns.com/
 
User avatar
fisherking
Posts: 4664
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am
Location: yes
Contact:

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:59 pm

Akitru wrote:
fisherking wrote:
you could replace the external site process with an online backup service... just a suggestion.

For security reasons I prefer to limit my use of the cloud for general storage. But I agree it is a good convenient alternative for offsite ('house burned down') if you can get comfortable with the current (and future) data provenance and encyryption.


you can use these services selectively, ie backup only what you want; for example, on my imac, i back up my work, logic files, plugins, preset folders, app support, etc. nothing 'personal'.

anyway, has saved me several times (twice while travelling), and for me, that's worth it's weight....
LX10.4.8 • os10.15.4b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com
 
User avatar
fisherking
Posts: 4664
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am
Location: yes
Contact:

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:01 pm

facej wrote:
1. Time Machine backups are not bootable
2. Online backup services are not bootable

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my boot drive and external drive every night. Once a week I take the backup drive off site and retrieve the other backup drive.

I use Time Machine to create incremental backups as usual, so I have my clone from 0300, and incremental as needed. Never more than a week behind.

Yes, I have had all of my computers and backup drives stolen, so I will not do without a bootable backup off site.

My laptops clone to SSD. My "working Mac" clones to 4TB disks.

Backing up is not at all hard, and certainly shouldn't be "set it and forget it". I spend 45 minutes per week swapping out backup drives including taking drives off-site and putting the "other" drives in service. I listen to a podcast while I am doing it.


which is why an online backup is so valuable; it doesn't have to be bootable, you want it to get to, at the very least, your work... just my thoughts, of course.
LX10.4.8 • os10.15.4b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com
 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 3996
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:48 am

I prefer and use CCC.
- bootable clone and much more useful as such
- don't need versioning, so less space
- i don't do "transfer data" when i reinstall ever

thinking of also buying Crashplan, to have an additional backup off site
2018 Mini i7 | 2018 13" Quad i5 | Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina 10.15.1 | Logic 10.4.8
RME FireFace 400 / 800 | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks
 
User avatar
fisherking
Posts: 4664
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am
Location: yes
Contact:

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:58 am

Ploki wrote:
I prefer and use CCC.
- bootable clone and much more useful as such
- don't need versioning, so less space
- i don't do "transfer data" when i reinstall ever

thinking of also buying Crashplan, to have an additional backup off site



crashplan is great; i moved to idrive when CP doubled my yearly rate, but it's a great service (both work, CP is more 'pro')....
LX10.4.8 • os10.15.4b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com
 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 3996
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Time Machine vs. Carbon Copy Cloner

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:08 pm

fisherking wrote:

crashplan is great; i moved to idrive when CP doubled my yearly rate, but it's a great service (both work, CP is more 'pro')....


idrive looks good - and basic plan supports two computers on one plan, as opposed to most others, including CP.
Also 5TB option...
neat, thanks
2018 Mini i7 | 2018 13" Quad i5 | Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina 10.15.1 | Logic 10.4.8
RME FireFace 400 / 800 | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks
HELP SUPPORT OUR FORUM: