A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

damusicman29

Re: Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 am

Anybody else notice/frustrated with the new EQ controls (parametric)? The EQ is freaking awesome now, seems to have better resolution and flow, but for some reason, after I make an adjustment to the bottom half of the EQ (like for instance, dragging the width numbers on a given node, the mouse kinda "sticks" for like a 100 milliseconds and then lets go. What's annoying about this is that I like to very quickly stop and play using my space bar as I make adjustments. What sucks now is that it freezes the window for a split second and flashes white at me. I tried to explain that the best I could lol.

UPDATE:
So to make this more clear of what's happening: I can no longer press spacebar (to toggle play and pause) while I have my mouse click held down on one of the EQ nodes. Instead, the screen flashes white until I let go of the node. Was able to do this before 10.5. I know this isn't a big deal to some, but to me, it kinda is, because I'm kinda frantic when I work. LOL

newplasticmachine

Sat May 23, 2020 2:26 pm

logicben wrote:
Beside of the nice new features. I'm still a bit scared of installing the new update. Are there any known issues?

I had some odd issues with sync and midi notes in the piano roll showing up in random places not on their assigned notes.
I trashed my preferences and - so far - those issues went away. I don't have a ton of custom settings so this isn't a huge thing for me.

BUT after I trashed my prefs, I noted some distinct changes to my interface that were NOT there before.
S and M on each channel have been replaced with a speaker icon and a headphone.
The mixer at the bottom is better aligned and the window default resize perfectly shows the fader/pan AND track name.
I'm certain there are more changes I haven't noticed yet, but I've found that trashing the preferences was an improvement.
Mac OS 10.15
2017 iMac 27” Retina
500GB Internal SSD
64gig ram
Logic Pro x 10.5
UA Apollo Twin Duo
UAD2 Satellite - OCTO
UAD Powered Plug-Ins: up to date
10TB Raid 0 OWC

damusicman29

Sat May 23, 2020 2:50 pm

newplasticmachine wrote:
logicben wrote:
Beside of the nice new features. I'm still a bit scared of installing the new update. Are there any known issues?

I had some odd issues with sync and midi notes in the piano roll showing up in random places not on their assigned notes.
I trashed my preferences and - so far - those issues went away. I don't have a ton of custom settings so this isn't a huge thing for me.

BUT after I trashed my prefs, I noted some distinct changes to my interface that were NOT there before.
The mixer at the bottom is better aligned and the window default resize perfectly shows the fader/pan AND track name.
I'm certain there are more changes I haven't noticed yet, but I've found that trashing the preferences was an improvement.

Ahhh, nice! I may try this actually! I'm using a very old preference file. I also noticed that when I open new plugins, they keep snapping to the bottom right of the screen; some of them I can't even see the whole plugin window, until i drag it up. Maybe this will help that.

fisherking

Sat May 23, 2020 3:03 pm

damusicman29 wrote:
newplasticmachine wrote:

Ahhh, nice! I may try this actually! I'm using a very old preference file. I also noticed that when I open new plugins, they keep snapping to the bottom right of the screen; some of them I can't even see the whole plugin window, until i drag it up. Maybe this will help that.

i'm experiencing the same thing, have been wondering about it. let us know what happens when u trash the pref file (am letting someone else be a guinea pig for a change!)...
LX10.5 • os10.15.5 • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com

damusicman29

Sat May 23, 2020 4:35 pm

fisherking wrote:
damusicman29 wrote:

i'm experiencing the same thing, have been wondering about it. let us know what happens when u trash the pref file (am letting someone else be a guinea pig for a change!)...

Okay I deleted my prefs and rebooted everything. Had to go through the whole menu to fix stuff, butttt, it appears to be working more stable now. Not sure about the display thing; I don't experience that problem anymore as I've moved up to an Ultrawide. As far the EQ thing, I've just accepted that it's probably not gonna change. Meh, oh well.

newplasticmachine

Sat May 23, 2020 5:24 pm

I'm still having MAJOR issues with Drum Machine Designer. When I try to perform from with my Arturia Keyboard or my Roland SPD-30, the Midi is writing about an 1/8th note late. I'm in LowLatency mode, restarted Core Audio, have no sample delay set, 128 is my buffer size. When I perform I hear everything in perfect sync but I see that the midi notes are not lining up on the beats. When I pay back, they are off grid by about an 1/8th note. Doesn't happen with other keyboard patches.

Anyone else?
Mac OS 10.15
2017 iMac 27” Retina
500GB Internal SSD
64gig ram
Logic Pro x 10.5
UA Apollo Twin Duo
UAD2 Satellite - OCTO
10TB Raid 0 OWC

damusicman29

Sat May 23, 2020 11:02 pm

newplasticmachine wrote:
I'm still having MAJOR issues with Drum Machine Designer. When I try to perform from with my Arturia Keyboard or my Roland SPD-30, the Midi is writing about an 1/8th note late. I'm in LowLatency mode, restarted Core Audio, have no sample delay set, 128 is my buffer size. When I perform I hear everything in perfect sync but I see that the midi notes are not lining up on the beats. When I pay back, they are off grid by about an 1/8th note. Doesn't happen with other keyboard patches.

Anyone else?

Check you plugin compensation settings under General I think

Rkmusic

Sun May 24, 2020 12:12 pm

I’m still surprised they haven’t added grid line showing through waveforms yet. Hopefully they add this simple but yet effective feature. They have it in the editor window why not in the main arrange window.
Pro tools 2018| Mac Pro 2010 | 32GB ram| Motif XS | Korg M3 | Liquid Safire 56|OSX Mojave| Omnisphere | Logic 10.5| Waves gold| Cubase 10.5|

damusicman29

Sun May 24, 2020 3:16 pm

Rkmusic wrote:
I’m still surprised they haven’t added grid line showing through waveforms yet. Hopefully they add this simple but yet effective feature. They have it in the editor window why not in the main arrange window.

I'm so down for that

musos

Sun May 24, 2020 4:10 pm

Rkmusic wrote:

Have you sent Apple a feature request for that?
The more people that do, the more likely it is you'll see it in an update.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html
Logic Pro x 10.5 / OS X 10.14.6 / 2018 Mac Mini i7 3.2 GHz 32GB RAM

newplasticmachine

Sun May 24, 2020 4:15 pm

damusicman29 wrote:
newplasticmachine wrote:

Anyone else?

That's EXACTLY what it was. Depending on the instrument I need to with turn Plugin Compensation on or off, and turn Low Latency Mode on or off. It's a combination of those, no one setting seems to work globally. Thanks, been three days in the making!
Mac OS 10.15
2017 iMac 27” Retina
500GB Internal SSD
64gig ram
Logic Pro x 10.5
UA Apollo Twin Duo
UAD2 Satellite - OCTO
10TB Raid 0 OWC

damusicman29

Sun May 24, 2020 4:39 pm

newplasticmachine wrote:
damusicman29 wrote:

That's EXACTLY what it was. Depending on the instrument I need to with turn Plugin Compensation on or off, and turn Low Latency Mode on or off. It's a combination of those, no one setting seems to work globally. Thanks, been three days in the making!

Ha! No worries! Yeah, this one had me scratchin' my head a couple years ago. I noticed it happens with a couple of Logic's plugins. I don't use those anymore, so I mostly just keep it on "All" and have the plugin compensation for everything. Haven't had too many sync issues since though. Glad it worked for ya. A small note: if you have plugin compensation on, be careful when you're making stems that need to be accurate down to the sample; you might have to turn off plugin latency for exporting if you do that.

Atlas007

Sun May 24, 2020 6:38 pm

newplasticmachine wrote:
Wht you describe looks like Logic being in basic mode. You could try to return to advanced mode in the Advanced preferences.
LogicX 10.5.0 ( & 9.1.8),MainStage3.4.3
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.5
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, Eucon McControl, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, MIDIQuest, etc...
PC, iPad3(V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear

stpro

Mon May 25, 2020 5:52 am

Will be live performance with logic 10.5 in 2020 WWDC ?
• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.4.4)
• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X Mojave 10.14)
• Computer (MacBookPro)
• Processor (e.g. 2.7 GHz Intel i5)
• Memory (e.g. 6GB)
• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Steinberg UR 22)

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Mon May 25, 2020 6:26 am

stpro wrote:
Will be live performance with logic 10.5 in 2020 WWDC ?

Who knows? I for one am hoping for a new iMac. :D
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.4 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.5.0
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 10.15.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM

stpro

Mon May 25, 2020 11:06 am

we don't know, but I wish it were like this 8-)
• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.4.4)
• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X Mojave 10.14)
• Computer (MacBookPro)
• Processor (e.g. 2.7 GHz Intel i5)
• Memory (e.g. 6GB)
• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Steinberg UR 22)

bombjack

Tue May 26, 2020 1:30 am

Rkmusic wrote:

oh no!!! really?

everybody seems to be focussed on new instruments mainly but is 'paste replace' working properly by now?

thanks!

newplasticmachine

Tue May 26, 2020 2:15 pm

Atlas007 wrote:
newplasticmachine wrote:
Wht you describe looks like Logic being in basic mode. You could try to return to advanced mode in the Advanced preferences.

YES! I have always had advance preferences turned on for the past however many tears. Since I trashed my prefs it came up in the default.
Mac OS 10.15
2017 iMac 27” Retina
500GB Internal SSD
64gig ram
Logic Pro x 10.5
UA Apollo Twin Duo
UAD2 Satellite - OCTO
10TB Raid 0 OWC

jimdilian

Wed May 27, 2020 12:33 am

an Option to Frezze Stacks Could be great. for Multi-Output instruments..
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
Processor : 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Mac os Mojave (latest update)

Xigwon

Thu May 28, 2020 9:20 am

Just my quick thoughts after 2 days of usage before going back to 10.4.4:

-It fixed the glitch of 10.4.5+ where it would crash whenever I tried to record in projects of 100+ MB. This was a glitch that a senior adviser literally said the technicians were "stumped" about.

-The editor doesn't take a super long time to open when I press E. This is an improvement.

-In the Flex editor, it defaults to snapping all the notes to the C major scale when you try to move them. This seems dumb. I had to turn this off every time I started working again.

-In projects over 100MB, it starts to take 4-5 seconds to save on my MacBook Pro Mid 2012 (16 GB RAM). One time Dr. Cleaner said I was up to 99% CPU. This is the main reason why I've switched back to 10.4.4 until I get a new laptop. I feel like 10.4.4 handles Flex better than all previous versions, although still not without maddening issues.