A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

naseemali
Topic Author

Alternative to Ableton Push 2 for logic pro 10.5

Mon May 18, 2020 11:11 pm

I probably should've posted this on the music production gear board, but anyway the last few days I've been looking into getting ableton and ableton push 2 because the interface and loop feature seems really cool, but then I just found out logic pro rolled out 10.5, which is very similar to ableton apparently. Now I need to figure out what are the best alternatives to ableton's push 2 for logic pro x; something that integrates well with logic pro like how the push integrates with ableton. I would do my own research but I've got midterms coming up so I'd rather save the time and hear from people who know this stuff well. Btw i already have an alesis vi49, which obviously doesn't integrate with logic, but besides that, I'm also looking for features very similar to ableton's push 2.

skijumptoes

Re: Alternative to Ableton Push 2 for logic pro 10.5

Tue May 19, 2020 2:31 am

Nothing will give you the same integration (+ Feedback) with Logic as a Push 2 + Ableton offers, i'm afraid.

You can use an older Push (1) and run it with PXT General software which will give you the live loop launch control, scale modes and adjusting of plugins via the MCU protocol (includes onscreen display), but it's fiddly to setup and quite limited in comparison.

Novation launchpad will give you the live loop launching on each pad too.. But, compared to a Push 2 + Ableton it's like childs play, as you can't chop/automate samples on the device itself, use it as a step sequencer, have pre-setup parameter mappings, or create new tracks/pick presets/add fx via the device on the fly. Push 2 and Ableton is next level.

naseemali
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2020 10:34 am

skijumptoes wrote:
Nothing will give you the same integration (+ Feedback) with Logic as a Push 2 + Ableton offers, i'm afraid.

You can use an older Push (1) and run it with PXT General software which will give you the live loop launch control, scale modes and adjusting of plugins via the MCU protocol (includes onscreen display), but it's fiddly to setup and quite limited in comparison.

Novation launchpad will give you the live loop launching on each pad too.. But, compared to a Push 2 + Ableton it's like childs play, as you can't chop/automate samples on the device itself, use it as a step sequencer, have pre-setup parameter mappings, or create new tracks/pick presets/add fx via the device on the fly. Push 2 and Ableton is next level.

Man what are the chances Logic will create its own integrated pad controller :/
Thanks for the reply!

skijumptoes

Tue May 19, 2020 10:49 am

naseemali wrote:
Man what are the chances Logic will create its own integrated pad controller

Well, the Logic Remote app is that i guess, but it's on an ipad. I've never got on with the ipad apps as a companion, but may be worth looking into? Completely forget about it till i read your reply lol. But they have got the live loop launching on there already.

But yeah, there's a chance a company out there (Novation maybe?) will look at the live loops and combine it with a little more integration on a hardware level. What sets the Push 2 aside is having that screen and the feedback from the DAW itself, i can jam for hours on a Push with Ableton and never look at the screen. I don't know how viable that will ever be in Logic if you've not already got a template of tracks setup and instruments ready to go, that's the big difference.

naseemali
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2020 2:00 pm

skijumptoes wrote:
naseemali wrote:
Man what are the chances Logic will create its own integrated pad controller

Well, the Logic Remote app is that i guess, but it's on an ipad. I've never got on with the ipad apps as a companion, but may be worth looking into? Completely forget about it till i read your reply lol. But they have got the live loop launching on there already.

But yeah, there's a chance a company out there (Novation maybe?) will look at the live loops and combine it with a little more integration on a hardware level. What sets the Push 2 aside is having that screen and the feedback from the DAW itself, i can jam for hours on a Push with Ableton and never look at the screen. I don't know how viable that will ever be in Logic if you've not already got a template of tracks setup and instruments ready to go, that's the big difference.

Right. Maybe I should reconsider getting ableton and the push then because I don’t think logic will ever have anything like it, at least anytime soon. I’ve seen people using notation launchpad with logic’s live loop feature but I’m sure it took some mapping to do and regardless, it still doesn’t seem the same as the push.

skijumptoes

Tue May 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Triggering live loops is the easy part, it's whether you want the ability to step sequence across the pads, ability to add instruments/fx from the device itself, browse presets, sample manipulate etc. That's where the real difference is.

Push 2 + Ableton is a BIG expense vs Logic + Launchpad though. And Logic can arguably take you to places far deeper in regards to arranging/mixing and being able to do vocal takes/comping, if that's ever something you may stumble into. Many people create on Ableton and then mix in a DAW like Logic, however.

If i were you, i'd be more inclined to pick up a cheap/secondhand Launchpad and have fun with Logic if you already own it, really depends on budget and your needs i guess. You can always sell a launchpad so you wouldn't be stuck with it if you decided Push 2 is a better investment.

naseemali
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2020 3:02 pm

Ah I see! Thanks for clearing that up. I might as well learn logic then especially with these new features. Will look into picking up a launchpad, also heard there’s a new mapping feature in 10.5 so I’ll see how that goes. Thanks so much for your help!

enossified

Wed May 20, 2020 5:24 am

If you forget about the pads themselves, many of the control features of Push used in Live can be found in a few controllers. Look into Nektar Panorama, Mackie Control and Behringer One Touch.

As a former Live user, I'll suggest waiting to see what controllers show up over the next year for Logic. The Ableton controller ecosystem is very well developed at this point in time. If you need that sort of functionality today, just use Live.
Logic 10.4.8
iMac12,2
Intel Core i5 2.7 GHz 4 cores
16 GB RAM
OS X 10.13.6

Pete

Wed May 20, 2020 12:41 pm

It's surprising to me how many of us (myself included) don't use the Logic Remote iPad more often. There's actually lots of applictions where I *prefer* a touch surface interface now and even the very first Logic Remote years ago was pretty amazing(!) hI have to agree PUSH 2 is excellent with LIVE even though I still have a lot to learn about it's features eg sampling integration — meanwhille, I haven't managed to even get LPX 10.5 to recognize the Push 2- though it appears everywhere else as expected — eg Audio Midi Setup etc

LOGIC 10.4.1 on macOS 10.13.3| MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 w/ 1TB APPLE SSD SM1024G MacBook Pro 13" Retina 2015 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 w/8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 | Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon [6GB 800 MHzDORR FB-DIMM], OSX 10.6.8/10.8, Logic Pro 9 | RME Fireface 802 USB ~ iConnect Mio - MIDI4+ 2+ | iOS 11 128 gig new?iPAD https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music BANDCAMP Twitter/Facebook/Instagram etc: PETE DAKO

JBlongz

Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:18 am

Logic Remote for iPad is cool, but maybe even better along with Push 2. Ableton released technical specifications for developers who want to make Push 2 work with anything else. https://github.com/Ableton/push-interface So there is theoretical potential to make it very functional as it is in Ableton, especially now that Logic has Live loops which resembles Ableton's session view.

There was a guy who started this experimentation, but but has not been maintaining it. Perhaps if he can maintain sufficient patronage, hell be happy to work full time on it. Here the link to his work: https://umuterhan.com/2020/06/11/hackin ... ive-loops/

His patreon: https://www.patreon.com/umuterhan

slimhan

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:20 pm

Hey, thanks for the mention! I also shared it here but didn't get much attention:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149985
Unfortunately, I had to sell my Push 2 due to economical situations in my country, so I couldn't improve it any more. :(
http://www.youtube.com/umuterhan
http://www.umuterhan.com

2015 15" MBP 16gb 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7 AMD Radeon R9 M370X | Mojave 10.14.6 | Logic 10.5