TV or monitor for Logic .....

Trashytommy

Not clued in at all regarding tech specs etc for monitors and google searches quickly become confusing with conflicting results.

My situation........

I’m in Brazil most of the year and have been pondering getting a large screen for my maxed out 2013 MBP. I went out to all the local stores to find out how much a 1080p TV might cost thinking they would be fairly cheap these days. However, non of the stores sell 1080p TVs but the 32” 4K TVs are reasonably priced....for Brazil that is - electronics are massively expensive here.

Initially I was thinking about just a “monitor” (hard to find), then I wondered if a 32” TV would work. If so, it could be handy to switch to TV as I watch a lot of tutorials. Not necessary to advise on screen size/distance from speakers etc - just what specs to look for in a TV and if a TV is advisable/unadvisable as opposed to a dedicated monitor.

Edit....I’ve just seen posts concerning refresh rates. However, I’m seeing in most posts people are perfectly happy ....anybody care to chirp in on this issue please.

Thank you

One thing to look at is latency. A TV can take all the time it wants to bring a frame of video on screen, because you will only ever notice a delay if your neighbours cheer to a goal you're yet to see. Half a second of screen delay in Logic will irritate you to no end and even half of that will make working to picture (scoring a movie, sync up voices, etc.) impossible.

If it's advertised as 'for gaming' then you should be fine.

Thanks for that Fuzz.....

So, given your response and looking back on a bunch of others on Reddit etc who dove in and bought a TV after posting a similar Question and were as as clueless as me, but posted back saying they were very happy with the results is causing me a little confusion. Wondering at this point could it be that they might be novices where speed isn’t so important. That is, a half second delay doesn’t bother them or they just don’t notice it as opposed to an experienced user like yourself who is probably whizzing around the program very quickly - hard for me to perceive what that delay is like until I’ve experienced it (and forked out a load of cash)......would be interested to hear from others on here also who use a TV.

Quick question.....what specs make a TV ok for gaming? Do you have any numbers (specs) I can take along to the shop with me as I’m guessing most TVs won’t state “good for gaming”.

Thanks again

Edit....and yes, I do a bit of editing in Final Cut Pro, so I would need specs that would be up that. However, if it was going to be a headache finding a TV with such specs here in Brazil I could live with just using it for Logic.

I don't recommend a TV as a monitor. TVs aren't built for extended sessions of close up time. They're not optimized for you to be reading text for example which is something you do a whole lot of on your computer monitor. Many of the finer details that are needed to reproduce text precisely are lost on a TV. That means your app's GUIs won't look as sharp, making it less comfortable and ultimately more tiring to work with.

And Christian is correct about input lag, even at 70ms of lag or so it makes it annoying to use with a mouse.

Even some "gamer" TVs have game modes that drop the resolution to reduce the lag so in the end that's a compromise.

If you insist on using a TV as a monitor, watch for color resolution (try to get 4:4:4) and low input lag (30ms or lower without reduced resolution).

Thanks for that David - ok, so I’ll see if I can dig up a monitor somewhere and since I’m going that route I’ll probably be looking for one that is compatible for video editing which should be more than good enough for audio editing. Failing that I’ll settle for a TV with the specs you mentioned.

Cheers