Logic Pro 10.5 - Auto adjusting gain ???

JonnyStrinati

So ever since 10.5 I'm having issues importing audio. Presumably this function has been introduced as part of Live Loops and all the auto optimise settings introduced.

But I can't find any way to turn off these actions.

Logic Pro automatically adjusts the gain of audio regions when imported - of course I can simply open the region inspector and reset this to 0db. But as I'm producing sample packs, in which one pack may include 300-400 loops. I'm having to perform this function way too often, and it's really beginning to get in the way of workflow.

The same goes for the Follow Tempo automatically turning on for imported audio regions. Again, great for Live Loops and general writing/producing. But a nightmare for preparing and formatting audio for sample packs. I have all the Smart Tempo settings to Off, but Follow Tempo still gets applied to all imported regions.

Any help? ...

• 1 month later...
I can turn off follow tempo in the region inspector, but it'd be great to simply disable this function altogether.

It shouldn't be applied to audio regions by default. What are your Smart Tempo settings?

Project Tempo Mode - Keep Project tempo

For Flex and Follow:

'Set new recordings' turned off.

'Set imported audio files' turned off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

It is an old post, but just in case an answer is still needed, since 10.5 there is a new option concerning apple loops, and I guess by the same way all the loops imported in Logic it is the Auto Leveling feature of the Play options of the Apple Loops Pane. It is this one which intorduce the automatic gain adjustment in the region parameter box :

474506354_Autoleveling.thumb.png.312accc931a7ee93d14d4dd3758a2b25.png

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply on this!

Whilst the auto levelling feature changes this behaviour when importing apple loops, or indeed loops from an 'untagged loops' folder where the audio is treated as an apple loop. This problem was occurring when I was dragging and dropping loops into the tracks area from a Finder window. I think there was an issue between Logic automatically reading the files as Apple Loops and then automatically Flexing and levelling the audio.

I've not been able to find a pattern as to why this happens. Some audio is left unaffected and some gets auto flexed and levelled.

Though I have noticed this hasn't happened since I updated to 10.6.2, so hopefully it was just a bug that has now been fixed!!

This problem was occurring when I was dragging and dropping loops into the tracks area from a Finder window. I think there was an issue between Logic automatically reading the files as Apple Loops and then automatically Flexing and levelling the audio.

Where the files are dragged and dropped from Loop Browser or Finder for example) doesn't matter, it only matters whether or not the files are Apple Loops (or wave ACID loops or REX files for example), or plain old regular audio files. So it depends where the files are coming from or how they were produced and saved/exported.

Anyway good to hear this months old issue seems to be resolved for you, but in case it comes back, do upload an example of an audio file that creates this behavior so that one of us can try to reproduce the behavior.

It is an old post, but just in case an answer is still needed, since 10.5 there is a new option concerning apple loops, and I guess by the same way all the loops imported in Logic it is the Auto Leveling feature of the Play options of the Apple Loops Pane. It is this one which intorduce the automatic gain adjustment in the region parameter box :

Auto leveling.png

So working with some sounds yesterday I noticed this problem is persisting. But thankfully this is the fix, turning off Auto Levelling prevents this from happening. Presumably as we were saying, audio gets imported as an Apple Loop or maybe Logic applies Apple Loop behaviour therefore it will auto level the Region gain.

This was happening with some audio loops and not others, so no idea what was causing the problem. A lot of my sample loops caused this issue, but I was simply exporting from Logic 2/4 bar loops at 24bit/44.1khz, which is fairly standard.

Unfortunately the issues with auto flex persist without any fix. The most frustrating thing with this is often Logic incorrectly analyses the tempo of imported regions. For example, my project tempo is 125bpm and the audio/region I drag into the tracks area is the same tempo, and then you have to manually turn off Flex and Follow or manually adjust the region.