A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

Danny Wyatt
Topic Author

Plugin thumbnail feature?

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:51 am

Hey guys,

Today I was watching a Cubase tutorial and noticed that suddenly the guy's plugins are super small, like a thumbnail. Not sure if that's a Cubase feature or not (anyone using Cubase here?). Anyway, what do you guys think of that feature being implemented in Logic?

So here's how that would work:
In the main plugin window we would have an icon that when pressed it would shrink the window down to 20% of its original size (like the image below, but no dropdown menu or anything. Just maybe the track's name and the thumbnail). That would allow us to still work on the project and see the plugins on that particular channel strip without closing the plugin's window and then opening it again. Then we would just need to click anywhere on that thumbnail window to bring it back to its normal size. I struggle a lot with the whole "open-close-open-close" windows, especially with plugins taking 80% of the screen space.

What do you guys think? For me, at least, it would be a great time saver. Your thoughts?

Logic Thumbnail.jpg
Logic Thumbnail.jpg (303.85 KiB) Viewed 537 times
• Logic Pro X 10.4.6 • M-Audio Fast Track Pro 4x4
• MacBook Pro mid 2010 • macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 • 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 • 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

-----------------------------------------
Danny Wyatt (formerly known as 3ple) - Musician and Music Producer
http://www.iamdannywyatt.com (links to all my social media included)

Atlas007

Re: Plugin thumbnail feature?

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:59 pm

Have you tried the plugin window link feature options?
LogicX 10.5.1 ( & 9.1.8),MainStage3.4.4
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.5
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, Eucon McControl, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, MIDIQuest, etc...
PC, iPad3(V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear

Danny Wyatt
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:13 pm

Atlas007 wrote:
Have you tried the plugin window link feature options?

Yes I use this sometimes
But I think we are talking about different features. I’m talking about having thumbnails that allows us to have smaller window versions quickly accessible.
If I’m working on an EQ and then suddenly I want to mess with the automation I have to either close the window and or move it to the side because the plugin takes 80% of the space. Then I have to open it again.
With this feature I could have maybe 3 or 4 plugins in thumbnail version that wouldn’t be in the way
• MacBook Pro mid 2010 • macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 • 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 • 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:02 am

I agree that it can be sometimes challenging to work with plug-ins covering too much of your main window, especially with larger plug-ins or when you have multiple ones open at the same time. I often use the V key to toggle plug-ins off and on but that's not always the best solution, so you may be on to something with this thumbnail idea.
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.4 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.5.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 10.15.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM

fuzzfilth

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:09 am

Yes, a nice idea. But on the other hand, floating windows will *always* get in the way, no matter how small and where you put them.
Christian Obermaier
Contact me for private Logic Consulting, Training, Troubleshooting via Skype, Zoom or Teamviewer

1 x MacPro 6core 2010 24Gb RAM
2 x MacBookPro i7 2012 16Gb RAM
OSX.14.6. Mojave, Logic X.4.4 & 5.1

Danny Wyatt
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:40 am

fuzzfilth wrote:
Yes, a nice idea. But on the other hand, floating windows will *always* get in the way, no matter how small and where you put them.

This would be an option, with a button, so it’s not something that you would “have” to deal with if you didn’t want to.

But think about this: even if a small thumbnail is in the way, if you click and drag it to the side you can move it from one side of the screen edge to the other with just one move. If you have a huge window, you need to drag it 3-4 times until it moves out of the way and still is in the way. Then when you have to have it back, you need to drag it again. ;)

With the thumbnail is not just easier to drag, but quicker to access without extra moving, if that makes sense. And again, if for some reason this wouldn’t always work for you, you could use it sometimes, but not always. From what I saw on that video when you click the thumbnail it actually dims down the rest of the screen’s brightness and the plugin goes straight to the middle of the screen. It becomes the main and only focus. When you click outside the window, it goes back to thumbnail mode. I think it’s pretty cool

Danny Wyatt
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:43 am

David Nahmani wrote:
I agree that it can be sometimes challenging to work with plug-ins covering too much of your main window, especially with larger plug-ins or when you have multiple ones open at the same time. I often use the V key to toggle plug-ins off and on but that's not always the best solution, so you may be on to something with this thumbnail idea.

Thanks David! Glad you liked it. I’ve already submitted the idea. Maybe they will like it as well

What do you mean by toggling plugins on and off?

Atlas007

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:00 am

All open plugin windows disappear or reappear...

Danny Wyatt
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:15 am

Atlas007 wrote:
All open plugin windows disappear or reappear...

Thanks!
I think I remember seeing that update when it was introduced, but never really used it. I think I can see it being effective as well from now on ;)

stpro

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:18 am

great.. :oops:
• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.4.4)
• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X Mojave 10.14)
• Computer (MacBookPro)
• Processor (e.g. 2.7 GHz Intel i5)
• Memory (e.g. 6GB)
• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Steinberg UR 22)

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:19 am

Danny Wyatt wrote:

Actually I should have said press V to hide or show all plug-ins windows.
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.5.1

Danny Wyatt
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:20 am

stpro wrote:
great.. :oops:

:)

Danny Wyatt
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:22 am

David Nahmani wrote:
Danny Wyatt wrote:

Actually I should have said press V to hide or show all plug-ins windows.

No problem ;)
It was actually a good tip that I see myself using from now on. The amount of times I had to move windows around, it's ridiculous...
So thanks for pointing that out!

Off topic: I sent you a message a few days ago. Let me know if you received it

musos

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:08 am

I remember years ago that there was a Terminal hack to turn Logic's floating windows into regular windows, so that you could bring the main window in front of everything else. That hack stopped working in El Capitan.

Maybe there's a similar new hack floating around the internet. Ask Dr Google....?
Logic Pro x 10.5 / OS X 10.14.6 / 2018 Mac Mini i7 3.2 GHz 32GB RAM

Danny Wyatt
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:36 am

musos wrote:
I remember years ago that there was a Terminal hack to turn Logic's floating windows into regular windows, so that you could bring the main window in front of everything else. That hack stopped working in El Capitan.

Maybe there's a similar new hack floating around the internet. Ask Dr Google....?

May I ask what the purpose of that hack was?
If we can hide and show the windows with the shortcut David mentioned, I don't see how that hack could be useful... maybe you can explain it?

Also, this is not about having windows in front or back, it's about making these super small so you can still have them visible and ready to click to enlarge, but also still being able to work on your project without having huge windows distracting you. This is probably one of the things that Apple did that I still don't understand. In Logic 9 everything was smaller. We could still see things and it felt we had more screen space. Since Logic Pro X, buttons seem they are for people with sight issues... too much, in my opinion. The new UI for the stock plugins looks nice to me, but also huge knobs and all that. Really unnecessary in my opinion. And in the end, some plugins don't even show all the buttons unless you go over 100%... makes no sense

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:44 am

Danny Wyatt wrote:
If we can hide and show the windows with the shortcut David mentioned, I don't see how that hack could be useful... maybe you can explain it?

One advantage of working with regular windows is the ability to partially hide it behind the main window. Imagine being able to have only one or two knobs from a plug-in window visible to the right of the main window, the remaining part of the plug-in being hidden behind the main window. That could be useful in certain situations. For example if I want to automate the frequency of the low-pass EQ in the Channel EQ plug-in I really don't need to see the 7 other bands on the left, just the frequency field of the 8th band all the way on the right in the Channel EQ plug-in, on the other hand I wish I could see the automation track while I'm automating it.
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.5.1

musos

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:47 am

The hack was to put floating windows behind others, and then use Exposé to find them and bring them to the front again. It worked system-wide, so you could, for example, open a Help window and keep it open and move it to the back without the Help window disturbing your workflow.
Logic Pro x 10.5 / OS X 10.14.6 / 2018 Mac Mini i7 3.2 GHz 32GB RAM

Atlas007

Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:53 pm

Danny Wyatt wrote:
...And in the end, some plugins don't even show all the buttons unless you go over 100%...

Which ones?
Besides, Logic's plugin UI are vector graphics and consequently scalable down to 50%.
Which makes me believe that your idea should be a rather easy thing to implement, at least graphically speaking.
After testing the Link feature, there seems to be hiccups some times, especially when using the Multi option, Logic getting confused and opening the wrong plugin interface... But that is another story, I guess...

Danny Wyatt
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:17 pm

Atlas007 wrote:
Danny Wyatt wrote:
...And in the end, some plugins don't even show all the buttons unless you go over 100%...

Which ones?
Besides, Logic's plugin UI are vector graphics and consequently scalable down to 50%.
Which makes me believe that your idea should be a rather easy thing to implement, at least graphically speaking.
After testing the Link feature, there seems to be hiccups some times, especially when using the Multi option, Logic getting confused and opening the wrong plugin interface... But that is another story, I guess...

Open the “Echo” plugin. At 100% you won’t see the Copy and Paste buttons.
I mean, why we need a huge on/off button? Are we all blind?
Why do we need a button that says “compare”? And others that say undo, redo, copy, paste?
Don’t we all use icons anymore? That’s a huge amount of space.

Regarding “my” idea, it’s not just for the stock plugins. Any plugin would work. So basically a button would automatically scale any plying to 20%. The idea here is my to make it “workable”. Just a thumbnail. And then clicking it would bring it back to whatever zoom value they had before.

I also believe this would be a super simple feature to implement.

Danny Wyatt
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:19 pm

David Nahmani wrote:
Danny Wyatt wrote:

One advantage of working with regular windows is the ability to partially hide it behind the main window. Imagine being able to have only one or two knobs from a plug-in window visible to the right of the main window, the remaining part of the plug-in being hidden behind the main window. That could be useful in certain situations. For example if I want to automate the frequency of the low-pass EQ in the Channel EQ plug-in I really don't need to see the 7 other bands on the left, just the frequency field of the 8th band all the way on the right in the Channel EQ plug-in, on the other hand I wish I could see the automation track while I'm automating it.

I see. I asked that because I actually thought it was the normal behavior. I’ve never used it that way though, that’s why I got confused.