Logic 8 with protools 7.4 TDM

wizardgreg

Installed PT 7.4 today hoping that it would fix all the past problems with the DTDM not being able to work successfully. Since installing PT 7.4 i've had serious problems.

Firstly protools does not load up without crashing (I'm getting DAE error -4)

Secondly Logic can no longer select DAE as an option within the "Audio Hardware & drivers" page. Also if i run logic in core audio it no longer finds the digidesign 192 (digidesign HW) in the list of output devices. I now have a system where i'm unable to record a single thing either within protools or logic.

I was under the impression that everything would be sorted with this release of protools however since installing it i've had a serious amount of grief. I'm going to run the uninstaller later on tonight and see if this fixes all of the problems. And i'm also going to check that my mac is up2date via software update. I've also been looking for the lastest version of the digidesign core audio driver so that i can run logic natively via the 192 but there doesn't seem to be an update available with 7.4. Does anyone else have any feedback on this setup or situation.

P.S intel mac quad mac os 10.4.10, Logic 8.0.0 PT 7.4

Never run Software Update on a machine with Pro Tools.

Go to the Digidesign website and read the compatibility alerts on unsupported OS versions.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=3&langid=61&categoryid=35&itemid=22904

Do not use Apple's automatic Software Update or the Mac OS X 10.4.9 Delta Update. Instead, install the Mac OS X 10.4.9 Combo Update for Intel-based or PowerPC-based Macs:

Mac OS X 10.4.9 Combo Update (Intel)

Mac OS X 10.4.9 Combo Update (PPC)

If you have already updated using Software Update, you should download and install the Mac OS X 10.4.9 Combo Update.

If your Mac came with Mac OS X 10.4.9 preinstalled, you should still download and install the Mac OS X 10.4.9 Combo Update if you are experiencing issues such as Pro Tools not opening.

In some newer Macs, such as MacBook Pro laptops with the new Intel Santa Rosa chipset, you may not be able to apply the 10.4.9 Combo update to the existing 10.4.9 preinstallation.

If you are not able to run the Combo Update, please try the Mac OS X Prebinding Script below.

Please Note: As detailed on the Digidesign website, Software Update should not be used to update your Mac OS, always use the Combo Update:

How to Get Mac OS X 10.4 Upgrades & Updates

With Pro Tools and many other software applications, issues with a program not opening or crashing may have to do with prebinding that is not properly handled by using the automatic software update program, particularly programs such as Pro Tools that use PACE-protected software. Both PACE and Apple are aware of this issue and are working to provide updates to remedy the issue.

The following download from the PACE website may help without having to download the Mac OS X 10.4.9 Combo Update, or in addition to the Combo Update. The included script resets the prebinding on your Mac OS X system:

Mac OS X Prebinding Script & Instructions

For additional troubleshooting, you may need to delete corrupted Pro Tools preferences and database files. The Digidesign Tech Support Utility provides an easy to use program for this. This utility is included in the Tech Support Folder download available from the following page:

Tech Support Folder - Utilities and Troubleshooting Tools

Mac OS X 10.4.10 (and Other Apple Software Updates) & Pro Tools Launch Failure/Bouncing Icon in Dock

Mac OS X 10.4.10 has not been tested or qualified by Digidesign, but the same launch failure issues can occur if you have updated to Mac OS X 10.4.10. Apple has posted the following information that updating to QuickTime 7.2 can also cause the pre-binding issue:

Mac OS X: Some applications may not open after QuickTime 7.2 Update

If you have updated to Mac OS X 10.4.10 and/or QuickTime 7.2, and Pro Tools will not launch, downloading and running the Mac OS X Prebinding Script may resolve the issue:

Mac OS X Prebinding Script & Instructions

I hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
Installed PT 7.4 today hoping that it would fix all the past problems with the DTDM not being able to work successfully. Since installing PT 7.4 i've had serious problems.

Is anyone here successfully using Logic Pro 8 as the front-end for Pro Tools? wizardgreg, it's been a month since your post. Did you ever get your system operational? If so, what did you do to correct the situation?

I have a sizable Pro Tools HD3 rig and am considering this very setup. The documentation states compatibility, but I'm interested in knowing how well it's really working. Are there unresolved issues or quirks?

I'd appreciate any information anyone here might have.

Thanks.

I ordered my PT 7.4 disk, then started reading. NO f'n way I'm installing it.

Soundsgood...I'd be curious as well...I've actually come to the conclusion that it's just better to NOT try and use PT hardware with Logic. I don't mind running the software on one machine, but I use an Ensemble for Logic (since my I/O needs aren't that huge), and PTools hardware just for PTools.

I'm just in a 'avoid the damn hardware headaches' mode of late...

:)

HI folks. Any help would be really appreciated.

Has anybody been able to successfully run DAE and DTDM on a new intel mac? I upgraded to a new computer, and installed the latest coreaudio 7.4.x with logic pro 8.

Everything opens, i have the options selected and configured for DAE and DTDM

and when I insert an instrument on a dtdm track, and start playing it... this crazy feedback noise comes out. Sounds like timecode... digital noise...

I am thinking about going back to my dual g4... crazy, but I need to work. I really hope there is somebody who has a working system and can shed some light...

HI folks. Any help would be really appreciated.

Has anybody been able to successfully run DAE and DTDM on a new intel mac?

My observations, so far:

• Although you're inquiring specifically about Logic/Dae on Intel Macs, I'm curious about Logic/DAE on any Macs -- and so far, not one user has reported success.

• It's been over a month since wizardgreg began this thread, and he has yet to return with an update.

• For the last few weeks, I've inquired within pro circles, here in L.A., and so far, I haven't found even one producer/composer who's using Logic with DAE/Pro Tools. I even asked a freelance tech, who said he's never seen that configuration anywhere in Los Angeles. (So far, those who use Pro Tools hardware are primarily using Digital Performer. I found a couple of producers who've recently begun sequencing in Pro Tools software, but so far, not one example of Logic with DAE/Pro Tools.

I came here with a new interest in Logic. I already have Pro Tools HD, and abandoning it is not an option. I've used Digital Performer with DAE/Pro Tools for many years, but I'm frustrated by the growing list of bugs and "missing" features that stem from using DP with DAE/Pro Tools. (For example, although Digital Performer has amazing, built-in pitch-correction, as well as support for ReWire, those features are "unavailable" when running DP with Pro Tools.

So I came here, hoping to find that Logic's "relationship" with Pro Tools was healthier than DP's. Apple's documentation says it works (and so does Mark Of The Unicorn's for that mantter) But so far, I can't even find anyone who's running Logic with Pro Tools -- with the exception of the guy who started this thread, a month ago, due to serious problems.

So far, I have little reason to be optimistic.

My observations, so far:

• Although you're inquiring specifically about Logic/Dae on Intel Macs, I'm curious about Logic/DAE on any Macs -- and so far, not one user has reported success.

• It's been over a month since wizardgreg began this thread, and he has yet to return with an update.

• For the last few weeks, I've inquired within pro circles, here in L.A., and so far, I haven't found even one producer/composer who's using Logic with DAE/Pro Tools. I even asked a freelance tech, who said he's never seen that configuration anywhere in Los Angeles. (So far, those who use Pro Tools hardware are primarily using Digital Performer. I found a couple of producers who've recently begun sequencing in Pro Tools software, but so far, not one example of Logic with DAE/Pro Tools.

I came here with a new interest in Logic. I already have Pro Tools HD, and abandoning it is not an option. I've used Digital Performer with DAE/Pro Tools for many years, but I'm frustrated by the growing list of bugs and "missing" features that stem from using DP with DAE/Pro Tools. (For example, although Digital Performer has amazing, built-in pitch-correction, as well as support for ReWire, those features are "unavailable" when running DP with Pro Tools.

So I came here, hoping to find that Logic's "relationship" with Pro Tools was healthier than DP's. Apple's documentation says it works (and so does Mark Of The Unicorn's for that mantter) But so far, I can't even find anyone who's running Logic with Pro Tools -- with the exception of the guy who started this thread, a month ago, due to serious problems.

So far, I have little reason to be optimistic.

I'm running a Logic TDM rig with success that can, at best, be described as "sigh...".

It's certainly better than with Logic 6, and better than with Logic 7, but it's nowhere near (as in galaxies away) as stable as my old G3/333/PT|MIXplus/Logic 4.7 on OS9 rig. Lots of really weird issues abound, like stereo linked files suddenly unlinking (??!@#$!!), random crashes, molasses-slow TDM plugin instanciation, distorted DTDM tracks, and countless other oddities.

Logic 8.0.1 did seem to fix the crashes when simply coloring a region. And I worked for about 45 minutes tonight without a single crash. So that's positive.

Dual 2.0 GHz G5 w/ 2.5GB of RAM

PT|HD3 Accel w/ 192 I/O and Apogee AD-8000

ProTools 7.1cs-Whatever's newest as of last week

Of course, if I'm the only TDM Logic guy you know in LA, note that I'm finally dumping it all for an Apogee Symphony/Mac Pro rig shortly after NAMM.

this might be slightly off-topic...but i was curious...

can u install Logic 8 on a system that already has Logic 7/Pro Tools HD with Digidesign hardware. But i don't want to use Logic 8 with the digidesign hardware.

can i use logic 8 with different hardware and keep logic 7/pro tools hd intact???

can u install Logic 8 on a system that already has Logic 7/Pro Tools HD with Digidesign hardware. But i don't want to use Logic 8 with the digidesign hardware.

can i use logic 8 with different hardware and keep logic 7/pro tools hd intact???

Yup. That's pretty much what I'm doing actually, but I don't have any HD stuff installed right now. I did a couple of weeks ago for a few days for a project though and all was fine. Note that I'm on 10.4.9 and a PPC.