A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

m29
Topic Author

How do I make a stereo file into 2 mono (L/R) in L8 ?

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:15 am

Thanks in advance.

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:34 am

Easier to play the whole stereo audio file on an audio track that reads the Left/Right channel only (click-hold the format button below the meter).
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.3 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.3.2 - Mac OS X 10.12.3 - MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 - 4GB RAM

cb1974

Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:07 am

sorry that im jumping on for another reason.... the thing is , if i want to use audio to midi, i thought its necessary for some reason to have the audiofile in mono, dont know if daves hint in this case would be enough

m29
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:11 pm

David wrote:
Easier to play the whole stereo audio file on an audio track that reads the Left/Right channel only (click-hold the format button below the meter).

But I want to process the L/R side individually. How is that done then ?

m29
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:29 pm

m29 wrote:
But I want to process the L/R side individually. How is that done then ?

I think I figured it out.

noisenet

Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:29 pm

I'm currently in the middle of a Logic reinstall so I can't look, but in the bounce dialog, there's an option for "Stereo Interlaced" and a couple of others, I believe. Select the one that sounds most likely to produce two files (I can't remember how it's worded).......

Rockdude9k

Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:12 pm

This took me a while to figure out but i finally found a solution.

If you click and hold on the mono icon bellow the fader you will get the option of L, R, Stereo and one other thing i think. Click on L and you will only hear the Left channel. You can then export this under file, export, export track (or region). Then do the same on the R (right) channel. Then import them back into logic and place them on two mono tracks. You can then pan effect automate them however you want.
Engineer's Need Lots of Tail

Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8-core. 8 GB RAM, Storm Drum1 and 2, East West Orchestra, Voices of Passion, Pianos Gold, EW Choirs, MachFive2, Motu 8pre, Event TR6's, OSX 10.7.x, LP9.(most recent)

Rockdude9k

Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:15 pm

Follow up:

If you just want to pan the stereo for instance both sides of the stereo file to the left use the binaurual and you can pan both tracks to one side instead of just isolating the left or right channel which is what happens when you pan using the stereo pan pot in LP
Engineer's Need Lots of Tail

Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8-core. 8 GB RAM, Storm Drum1 and 2, East West Orchestra, Voices of Passion, Pianos Gold, EW Choirs, MachFive2, Motu 8pre, Event TR6's, OSX 10.7.x, LP9.(most recent)

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:36 pm

Rockdude9k wrote:
This took me a while to figure out but i finally found a solution.

If you click and hold on the mono icon bellow the fader you will get the option of L, R, Stereo and one other thing i think. Click on L and you will only hear the Left channel. You can then export this under file, export, export track (or region). Then do the same on the R (right) channel. Then import them back into logic and place them on two mono tracks. You can then pan effect automate them however you want.

That's pretty much what I said in my original answer, except.. you don't need to bounce and reimport, just process on the channel strip. A Left CS with a stereo file = a mono CS with a mono file made of the left channel only.

The only exception is if you need to do any kind of destructive editing in the sample editor - in which case you can do the following:

1) Select the audio file in the Audio Bin
2) Choose Audio File > Copy/Convert File(s)
3) Stereo Conversion = Interleaved to Split

You'll end up with two mono files (.L and .R) in your Audio Bin.
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.3 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.3.2 - Mac OS X 10.12.3 - MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 - 4GB RAM

m29
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:58 am

Great suggestions guys. Much help !! :P

SoundGuru

Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:44 pm

This didn't work for me. It appears that the option to copy convert files in the audio bin is grayed out. Any ideas why? Do they need to be converted to an apple loop?

fader8

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:44 am

SoundGuru wrote:
This didn't work for me. It appears that the option to copy convert files in the audio bin is grayed out. Any ideas why? Do they need to be converted to an apple loop?

You need to select an audio file in the bin, not a region. If you only want to convert the region portion of the file, convert it to a new audio file first.
Music helps not the toothache.--George Herbert

G5Quad2.5, LP9.0.2,OSX.5.8,RME Digi&Multiface,002r, 4xUAD-1,Duende PCIe,Unitor8-AMT8,Logic Control+4 LCXT's,Capybara320,Kurz...

SoundGuru

Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:58 pm

Yea i did that and still greyed out. I was able to create R and L loops in the bin now. But when i drag them to a new audio track they are still in stereo. I did noticed the two circles are now separated not overlaid like a standard stereo loop. Any ideas? I looked around online and still scratching my head. Thanks for your help.

SoundGuru

Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:04 pm

Ok, I did select the file not the region and that did give the option to convert. I understand this better now. However i still see the file as stereo with the two circles separated not overlapped. The sample editor shows the file is still stereo. Any idea what the difference is between the overlapped circles vs the separated circles?

SoundGuru

Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:40 pm

OK. I figured it out.

My overall intention was to have a single mono track from the stereo file. Doing it the way that was outlined above still imports it back to a stereo stem with different editing options. Not sure i understand the logic behind this. Anyhow, once you do have your split file "per instructions above" in the audio bin you need to select both the R and L and then click "EDIT", "Disconnect connected split stereo file". Now you can drop your R and L on separate tracks for better control or just use the L or R for your MONO track. In my case i had an old bass track that was recorded as stereo and wanted to center it as MONO. You can also reconnect them as well from the edit menu.

This program seems to always have a cool trick buried somewhere. I'm really glad to have made the switch from Cubase.

fader8

Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:51 pm

SoundGuru wrote:
However i still see the file as stereo with the two circles separated not overlapped. The sample editor shows the file is still stereo. Any idea what the difference is between the overlapped circles vs the separated circles?

Hey, glad you worked it out. The separated circles indicate the split stereo file as opposed to interleaved which gives the overlapped symbol. This facilitates bringing files in from Pro Tools which works with them this way and doesn't use interleaved.
Music helps not the toothache.--George Herbert

G5Quad2.5, LP9.0.2,OSX.5.8,RME Digi&Multiface,002r, 4xUAD-1,Duende PCIe,Unitor8-AMT8,Logic Control+4 LCXT's,Capybara320,Kurz...

Blackmac

Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:49 pm

SoundGuru wrote:
OK. I figured it out.

My overall intention was to have a single mono track from the stereo file. Doing it the way that was outlined above still imports it back to a stereo stem with different editing options. Not sure i understand the logic behind this. Anyhow, once you do have your split file "per instructions above" in the audio bin you need to select both the R and L and then click "EDIT", "Disconnect connected split stereo file". Now you can drop your R and L on separate tracks for better control or just use the L or R for your MONO track. In my case i had an old bass track that was recorded as stereo and wanted to center it as MONO. You can also reconnect them as well from the edit menu.

This program seems to always have a cool trick buried somewhere. I'm really glad to have made the switch from Cubase.

This is the correct way to do it!

Yesterday I explain to someone else in another forum and do the same!

It's a small world...

Congrats! You made it!
:wink:
 Logic Pro Trainer
Logic Pro 9.1.7 - Mac OS 10.6.8 - iMac 2,16 GHz Intel

pestequiel

Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:50 pm

Jajaja mirá donde te vengo a encontrar Black.
saludos