Anyone want a Boss GT8

well...the thing is that the GT8 has bad Pre-amps no matter what I do i dont get the correct tone...i want the tweakability of the GT8 but with results..no matter what I do to the GT8 it still sounds like crap....I'v had it for over a year and still it sounds really bad

If you don't like the sound of the GT8, you most probably won't like the sound of any Line 6 product. How about a real amp? I use a GT6 connected via MIDI to my Marshall head to a 4x12 cab. That gives me crazy programmable effects but I still use the Marshall's preamp + power amp. You can't beat that.

OK. Never having used a GT-8, I thought you were saying that it had too *many* options & settings to keep track of in a live situation, or something like that.

Everyone has different taste, though, and different beliefs about what constitutes good tone. That said, I am very satisfied with my PodXTLive, which I have used through the PA with two cover bands, to emulate the guitar tones from hit songs of the 60s through today. (hm, sounds like a commercical)

At this point I don't believe that the X3 offers enough improvement over the XT for me to upgrade, but I probably would recommend the X3 to someone who didn't have the XT.

Hope you find this information useful.

Matt

the XT live has bass models...vocal pres (that are not that great)...the GT8 has a tone of effects but I have done alot to make my GT8 get that sound I want but it just does not deliver. I have been using Line 6 Effects for a while with my UX2...and have gotten good at modifying them...I even have two identical amps set up for the stereo effects...and nothing...the effects are nice but the tone is just awful its way to grainy..im looking for a clean Fender tone...i get a nicer one out of the Skilletlicker tone then I do any of the GT8 tones....

if it helps im running a PRS SE w/ EMGs (ZW set)

if anyone cares...the GT8 is on ebay as we speak...

I've got a GT-8, and for a while I couldn't get a good pre-amp sound. Then one day, I decided to turn off the pre-amps all together and just use it as an effects processor. It is marvelous for that.

I am running it through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Maverick, and the only thing that is better than the GT-8 is the Roland VG-99...which I'm going to be purchasing soon.

If you insist on the pre-amps, then you will have to set your amp to a very neutral setting, and then tweak each one of the patches according to your amp.

The factory presets are generally not where you want to start, unless you find something close to what you are looking for. The factory presets are designed to show the versatility of the unit...which is fine for display. But when you want something specific, just start from scratch.

I would start by making a blank patch with no effects, no pre-amp, no-nothing...and then build it from the ground up and save it as a user preset. And remember, you can change the way that you select patches as well. So you can set each footswitch to certain effects on one patch....or you can program a specific set of effects to each patch in the banks. The former is really handy when you have one song that has many different effects, but with the same base sound.

Also, something that I have done recently is that I will use my amp's gain channel for all overdrive/distortion sounds. Granted, this puts the distortion on the tail end of the chain, but I love my amp's overdrive channel. (It's a Mesa Boogie)

That has made all the difference for me.

IMO, the GT-8's real strength comes with recording. When you plug the GT-8 stereo into your interface, and THEN use the pre-amps, you can really get some good quality settings.

The GT-8 manual is really good. I don't know if you've read through it, but it makes things pretty easy once you get the hang of the basic editing controls.

Hope that helps.

the XT live has bass models...vocal pres (that are not that great)...the GT8 has a tone of effects but I have done alot to make my GT8 get that sound I want but it just does not deliver. I have been using Line 6 Effects for a while with my UX2...and have gotten good at modifying them...I even have two identical amps set up for the stereo effects...and nothing...the effects are nice but the tone is just awful its way to grainy..im looking for a clean Fender tone...i get a nicer one out of the Skilletlicker tone then I do any of the GT8 tones....

if it helps im running a PRS SE w/ EMGs (ZW set)

if anyone cares...the GT8 is on ebay as we speak...

Oh, and I had a question...

When you say clean Fender tone, are you talking about a Fender amp, or a Fender guitar?

Either way, you have to keep in mind that EMG's are humbuckers, so you are going to get a hotter bolder tone out of them.

The fender shimmer comes partly from the single coil pickups.

Now the EMG's (normally) do have the split coil function, so if you throw on the bridge pickup in the split setting, you should be getting in the ball-park of a Fender...but then, there are numerous other things to tweak between your effects, pre-amp, and actual amplifier to really make it authentic.

I don't know what kind of amp you are using...but generally, you'll have to work a lot harder to get a fender shimmer out of anything but a Strat w/a Fender Twin to match.

Not to say it can't be done, but you really need to know what sound you want, and then know how to get there with the gear that you have.

I use a gt8. I can get some pretty good tones with it. One of it's weaknesses, IMO is the speaker sim. So if your recording direct into logic with it, disable the speaker sims, and use the sims provided with guitar amp pro.

www.bossgtcentral.com is the a great resouce and forum. Besides all the info that you can learn there, it's a pretty good community with a lot of open minded users. Just don't start a theology discussion ....

i was running my GT8 straight in a PA

And that is a whole different ball of wax...

Playing the guitar through a PA in general is difficult when it comes to getting good tone.

In this case, I would say that your GT-8 is probably not the problem.

If you plug your guitar straight dry into a PA, you'd be hard pressed to find a good clean tone.

Until you start getting into higher PA's, they're just not suited to guitars.

Back to the topic: the GT-8 is one of the last things you'll have to tweak in that chain.

The room you are playing in is the first thing to consider. The type of PA speakers you are running through is another. Then, you have to try to get the EQ on the channel of your mixer as flat as possible with the room dynamics considered.

THEN, you can begin to work on your GT-8 patch settings.

From there, you'll have to tweak the patch not only to the sound that you want, but to all of the above mentioned factors.

Once you get all those things worked out and a patch saved, just keep in mind that you might have to start over once you go through a normal guitar amplifier or a different room.

Well, I have found a slew of wonderful clean tones in the preset banks of the GT-8...and of course, I've made a few of them from scratch also.

Have you ever run headphones into the GT-8's headphone jack and tweaked with tones there?

You might try that, and then, if you can find something you like with that, just tweak it to the PA system that you are using.

This is a clip of a little jam that I did using the GT-8 with a Gibson Explorer that has a Seymor Duncan JB in the bridge position. I ran direct into my recording unit.

"Good tone" is obviously subjective, so my idea of good tone and yours might be totally different. I really like the tone of the rhythm guitar track. The lead tone isn't my fav, but it worked at the time.

All I did to this track was a quick mix down to get levels right...other than that it's straight raw signal.

http://web.mac.com/drawthemoral/Site/My_Music_and_Media/Entries/2007/9/17_From_the_forum.html

I really dont like the tone of that...it sounds too synthy...im looking for something real (sounding)...this might sound corney but im looking for this tone...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6sPmTgPvx28

...the intro part

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3LrZKcp2ZcQ

...only jm and derek...i dont care for Fruciante

Oh, so you wanna play blues?

That's very different from a "good clean tone."

There's plenty of settings on the GT-8 that can do that.

Now in the first video, that's not exactly a "clean" sound. There are two things that are making that tone. The first is his strat being set on the single coil neck pickup. The second is that he has a slight hint of overdrive on it.

So on your PRS, put your pickup to the neck position, and then pull your volume knob out to split the coil. Turn your tone control down to about 6-7.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know.

Keep in mind, a PRS is not designed to sound like a strat. This setting will get you close...but if you want to have that classic blues sound, then you really need to get a strat with some single coil pickups.

Second, on the GT-8 in the factory presets, go to bank 5, Patch 1 on the GT-8. It's called "Warm Overdrive."

Once you get there, look for your "drive" knob under the Overdrive/Distortion section panel.

Turn that knob down until the drive is down at about 2. (Yes, I really mean that low!)

Now, I'm assuming that you know how to play what he's playing i.e. the strumming patterns, picking techniques, scales etc. That's another HUGE part of how his guitar sounds that way...his techniques.

You could have John Mayer's rig with his exact settings and the perfect amp, but if you don't know how to play what he's playing, then it's not going to help.

So if you know how to play it, then that patch should do the trick.

For the second video, keep your guitar on the same settings, and then on the GT-8, go to factory preset Bank 7, patch 4. It's called Bright Clean.

That should be pretty darn close.

Finally, when try all of these settings, try to play them through an amp, or at least through headphones.

Playing a PRS, through a GT-8 through a PA is just not going to sound exactly like those videos.

I wouldn't blame that on the GT-8.

I have been using the GT-8 for almost 2 years actively (Both on tour, and in my home studio.) I've read the manual countless times, and I've gone through and used almost every patch in the unit at some point...and I still haven't heard everything that it can do! The only reason that I want something else is because that something else is the Roland VG-99.

But shy of this true MIDI guitar processor....the GT-8 is the best that I've used.

I've used POD proXT, and the GT-8 IMO beats it by far.

Check this out (there are demo videos):

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=849

Back to the GT-8...

So start with just the guitar and the pedal either through an amp or through headphones directly into the GT-8.

Once you get it good there, then, you can start the work of trying to get that sound through a PA.

ill try it when i get back home...i can play all of what he plays so technique is not an issue.. its more an issue of learning how to use my pedal..i was looking at the VG-99 a few months ago...i have to say i was really impressed....but the price kept me away..since you need to get the weird pickup like thing...the unit...and the stand...let me know how that goes ill...let you all know if I can get the GT8 to where I want it...

ill try it when i get back home...i can play all of what he plays so technique is not an issue.. its more an issue of learning how to use my pedal..i was looking at the VG-99 a few months ago...i have to say i was really impressed....but the price kept me away..since you need to get the weird pickup like thing...the unit...and the stand...let me know how that goes ill...let you all know if I can get the GT8 to where I want it...

Awesome.

Yeah, the VG-99 is probably the last piece of gear that I "need" for a long time.

The GK pickup is really easy to install. It's not a big deal.

Granted, that price tag is something else...but it's worth it considering the software, the pickup, and all of the effects that you can use.

Plus, since I have logic 8, I can control all of Logic's software instruments with my guitar! Doesn't get much better than that.

I totally understand the frustration with the effects.

The big downside with the big multi-effects processors is that there is just so much all at once, that it's hard to figure out how to get the sound that you want.

For a long time, I only used single effects pedals. I liked them because you had a lot of individual control over each effect. I couldn't find mult-effects that gave you as much control.

Then, when I found the GT-8 I decided it was time to sell the little pedals.

The advantage that I had was that I had used the single pedals for so long...and BOSS pedals at that, so I knew what each effect did, and what parameters did what, and how that changes the sound. So that gave me a little head start with the GT-8. So for me, the GT-8 has been wonderful.

Hopefully, you'll enjoy it as well.

If not, there's no shame in going for single pedals when know the kind of sound that you want.

wow...the VG-99 looks like what I need... I was thinking about getting a Variax guitar, which I know is a horrible instrument but what else can i do, and get the X3....but my eyes have been opened to my little gt8....if all goes wrong with it...im going to sell it and save for my VG-99...i have a backup anyways...its no big deal.

What is needed to run a VG-99 Live:

VG-99-main unit -$1325.00

GK-3-Divided Pickup-included with Main unit price

FC-300- Floor Board to control main unit-$295.99

PDS-10-stand for Unit- $149.99

+ CB-VG9-bag for unit and floor board-$99.97

----------------------------------

$1870.95 (for complete rig)

so....$2001.92 for the ultimate piece of gear...and last piece of guitar gear you will ever need

Edited by consagrado

wow...the VG-99 looks like what I need I was thinking about getting a Variax guitar, which I know is a horrible instrument but what else can i do, and get the X3....but my eyes have been opened to my little gt8....if all goes wrong with it...im going to sell it and save for my VG-99...i have a backup anyways...its no big deal.

Heck yeah dude.

I've used line 6 pretty extensively...and generally speaking, I don't prefer their stuff. Definitely not terrible...but I just prefer Boss/Roland stuff.

The GT-8 is quite a device, and for the price, it's the best processor you can get IMO.

The VG-99 is probably the best processor on the market right now.

Well, AXE FX is more like the GT-8.

It's a fancy effects processor, that can do alot...but it's just an effects unit.

The big difference between that and a VG-99 is the synth processing of the VG-99.

With Roland, you are actually installing another pickup on the guitar that tracks each one of the strings separately...allowing you to make each string do whatever you want.

Example: with the VG-99, you can program the Low E and A strings to trigger MIDI drums, while the top 4 can be a piano...or whatever the heck you want.

The AXE FX can't do that because it's just an effects processor. So all it does is take the signal that the guitar produces and filters it.

The VG-99 can filter effects OR it can use the guitar as a trigger for any sound that you want it to be...much like a MIDI keyboard does.

That's the difference.

Sounds to me if all you want is that classic Fender blues sound...you're blowing a TOOOON of money for stuff that you don't need. You could drop around $1000 on a REAL guitar amp...and more specifically a guitar tube amp. OR, you can check out the Vox line of valvetronix modeling amps. I own the 50W combo, and I've never heard a better modeled tone in my life. (Okay well maybe some software models can beat it, but as far as hardware goes, I'd say the Vox wins hands down). The main reason for this is the fact that the Vox amp models not only the preamps and tubes, but the Power amp as well (and as far as I know is the only one)....this is vital, because most high-end amplifiers use very specific power amplifiers that contribute to their tone. I got my amp for $400 and everyone who's heard it is blown away. I've been playing for about 12 years now, and was never happy with my tone no matter what fancy gadgets I ran my guitar through. Buying that pedal would be like sending out the SWAT team to give someone a speeding ticket. PAs are meant to be as transparent as possible, and they tend to bring out all the flaws in a digitally produced sound...a guitar amp on the other hand is built with "imperfections" in its sound reproduction that result in that "signature" sound you hear from so many amps. No effects pedal, no matter how great, can ever fully replace a good guitar setup.

Sorry to ramble on, but I hate to see you throw down a couple grand on all that stuff and STILL be unsatisfied with your tone.

One last thing I would recommend is study up on recording technique and signal processing. I've found that in learning the theory behind good tone, that I'm better at making educated decisions about investments like this and better at knowing how to dial in that perfect tone with equipment i've already got.

Best of luck in your search for the ultimate tone though!!!