Rename Bus?

Johnny08

what would you rename them as?

In a large session, (with 4 or more Reverb/Delay/etc Aux's), seeing "RmVerb" instead of Bus 9 on a track let's me know what's going on in the send area without having to wonder later, "What is bus 9?"

Or, if in the middle of a large session I want to a add or make changes to a bus, I don't have to wonder where bus 23 is going. I'd rather see "GtrSub".

For me this speeds up visual flow, which helps me to get around the mix faster. I am use to doing this in Pro Tools. Not being able to do it in Logic is more of an annoyance than a big problem.

Well, you can. In the environment (or global mixer), double-click on the Bus you want to rename. It will appear in your arrange window. Now, just give it a name, just like you would on any other track. If you want, you can now delete the "bus track" in the arrange window, or you can keep it - perhaps you want to do some bus automation etc.

With Regards,

Poppa Lars/Norway

A more set way you could do this is go to Options > Audio > I/O Labels and you will find a screen that allows you to change the name of Input's, Output's, and Bus Channels ...

Here is a screenshot

479809722_Picture3.png.4027169f209fea5fc5eeecfe243c1630.png

Rather than seeing Bus 1 in the send/input slot you will see the name you give it in a Channel Strip.

A more set way you could do this is go to Options > Audio > I/O Labels and you will find a screen that allows you to change the name of Input's, Output's, and Bus Channels ...

Here is a screenshot

Ahhhh.... That worked. My methodical mind is at eased.

Thanks guys.

The BIG problem I have with this is that the names are saved globally and not with the project file. So naming a bus Verb or Crush, while working in project A may not be what you use those busses for in project B.

It's fine for I/O though.

Since that's the case, and I also dislike bus 1, bus 2, etc., I just give the busses people names. Somehow it's easier for me to remember as I'm working what I had each one doing.

BusNames.jpg.c2c7ea8b72d0afbc9aeeb5f4f6ab2b46.jpg

I wish they were saved with the project as well. For me, I set aside the first 20 or 30 buses for commonly used things: toms, all drums, vox, bkgrnd vox, gtrs, etc. etc. Then when I need a new bus for something uncommon, I'll use Bus 30 or something higher. This works great but it can certainly get confusing if you open old projects that used a named bus for something else.

People names? Now that's cool. Well, that may not work for me. My clients might get suspicious of bus names like Candy and Polly.

I use a mix template for 95% of my mixes, which utilizes 13 pre-routed busses (for time-based efx and sub-mixed/parallel drum, bass, and lead voc). So those 13 busses are fine in a universal display.

Also, if it's bus 14 or Gtr Sub, I would have to rename an additional bus to match the routing in a new session anyway. So it's cool as long as I can at least rename the bus.