CPU Usage Off the Roof!!

exit45sax

I'm rather new to recording music (just a few days experience). I've had good success with audio recording (saxophone specifically). Problem when I loaded the Instruments Template and tried to play a Software Instrument, just one touch of the MIDI keyboard raises the CPU meter on the screen through the roof! Is it my computer that can't handle the software instruments or is there something I can do in the program to address this?

Here are my specs:

iMac G5 1.8G PowerPC

2 G of RAM

Logic Pro 8

Presonus Firebox Interface

I have basically the same computer with like 2.16 ghz and it handles it pretty well so your computer should be able to handle it for the most part i think............go into preferences>audio and try messing around w/your buffer size and amt of samples........when these are higher there is typically more latency but less cpu usage

The Instrument Template is littered with plug ins.

For now, turn on the 'Low Latency mode' using the button on your Transport bar (if it is there) or in the Audio preferences > General tab > check the 'Low Latency' box.

This will disable the CPU hogs (i.e. Space Design). and you will know it is working when you see some of the Plugs turn Orange.