Error code -36 returned by audio driver

slang

Anyone know why Im getting this message. I feel like its my external hard drive, but dont know. Thoughts?

-36 ioErr I/O error (bummers)

Suspect issues with your external hard drive file system. If it happens a lot I would do a backup of all the stuff (move it to another hard disk), reformat/partition, move it back in and see if the newly made file system is better. Worth checking out the console output as well in case that tells something interesting.

Funny, it's only with audio forums that I see old MacOS error codes, used to deal with them inside out ages ago.

Is your external HD formated Mac OS Extended? It should be. If it isn't, back up all content (you're going to erase your hard drive) and format it using /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. Choose Mac OS Extended (unjournaled).

That's true, most external drives don't have HFS journaled or unjournaled file systems --worst case they have even FAT32 or something similar...

Is your external HD formated Mac OS Extended? It should be. If it isn't, back up all content (you're going to erase your hard drive) and format it using /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. Choose Mac OS Extended (unjournaled).

Ahhh, interesting. Will have to try when I get home. Thanks for the info.

Just read up on journaling.

"If your server contains high-bandwidth usage data files, such as large video, graphics, or audio files, you may want to weigh the benefits of using journaling against the performance needed to access your data. In most cases, the impact of journaling upon data access performance are unnoticeable to users, but its implementation may not be practical for servers where data access demands outweigh its benefits."

So, in choosing "unjournaled" I will be sacrificing "a feature that helps protect the file system against power outages or hardware component failures" in order to have better performance?

I checked the drive and it was already formatted Mac OS Extended (unjournaled) . I cleared the disc and will start fresh, see if that works.

Any other suggestions tho?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...